I've got the parts now, just awaiting the 36mm 6 point socket.
The beach trip was great. The tide was up a bit (misread the time) so I needed to drive 10-15km on soft sand. The old Jeep didn't even blink at the challenge, other than running at a mildly higher temperature.
The dodgy hub doesn't seem to be getting any worse.
Next weekend's job - new left front hub. My biggest concerns are the axle binding in the old hub and the hub being seized into the knuckle. I'll figure it out if needed. In the past (pulling out rear non-Jeep axles) I've put the wheel nuts on just a few threads and used the drum/disc as a slide hammer against them. Worked every time. I guess with the front hub there is room to flog it from behind if needed. I have a large rubber mallet that is useful for not stuffing ball joints.
I've got copper anti seize at the ready to make it easier next time, since I have taken the calculated risk with a cheap hub.