Jeep Filled With Gasoline Ran Until It Died - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default Jeep Filled With Gasoline Ran Until It Died

Well my CRD got a tank full of contaminated diesel this morning. The filling station accepted a gasoline delivery late last night and it was pumped into their diesel storage tank. Lucky me I was the first customer of the day for diesel. I made it about 3 miles from the gas station before the Jeep started to belt out white smoke like it was on fire. The fuel filter was eaten away by the gasoline and it started leaking everywhere. The tail pipe if full of white soot.

What steps to I stake to purge the system. What damage should I be looking for? What parts should I order up to be replaced?

I live in the Dominican Republic and there is no CRD mechanic to take my vehicle to, just me and the kind help of the forum folk.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 03-02-2018
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

I've bad news for you...... modern common rail diesels are VERY intolerant of Petrol in the fuel system. Not only don't they run properly.... the diesel is used to lubricate fuel injection components like the high pressure pump.

Of course you can try flushing it all out with fresh diesel and hoping fro the best BUT serious damage may have been done.

IMO you need to quickly collect evidence and considering legal action against the service station as the repair bill could be VERY high to get the engine and fuel system back to normal condition.

Good luck getting it going again...... but i fear you may have a major and expensive problem.
Old 03-02-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 283 Times in 208 Posts
Default Gas in a crd engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd_eh View Post
Well my CRD got a tank full of contaminated diesel this morning. The filling station accepted a gasoline delivery late last night and it was pumped into their diesel storage tank. Lucky me I was the first customer of the day for diesel. I made it about 3 miles from the gas station before the Jeep started to belt out white smoke like it was on fire. The fuel filter was eaten away by the gasoline and it started leaking everywhere. The tail pipe if full of white soot.

What steps to I stake to purge the system. What damage should I be looking for? What parts should I order up to be replaced?
Unfortunately as stated modern diesels that are miss fuelled usually lead to expensive engine repairs.
If you want to try and restore it yourself remove and completely drain the fuel tank of the offending fuel, blow all the lines clear of the contaminant fuel, replace the fuel filter . restore the tanks and lines and filter and get fresh clean diesel primed into the low pressure filter.
Remove the injector pipes and the common rail pipes drain all the bad fuel and blow out with compressed air all the lines.

Before restoring the lines and the common rail, crank the engine on the starter to pump in as much clean diesel around the high pressure system as possible. once you have fresh clean diesel coming from the fuel delivery pipe to the common rail, refit the pipes to all the injectors and rail and try to start it.

Even if it does run well once it starts on clean diesel you may not be out of the woods, because as another poster stated the HP pump and other CRD fuel delivery parts rely on the 'oily diesel' as a lubricant of internal metal parts and the relatively 'dry' gasoline can lead to undetected internal abrasion of these parts, which may not fail immediately but may wear out prematurely.

Also gasoline will due to its low octane and very high engine compression very likely to have detonated in a diesel engine cylinders which can in extreme cases cause piston ring and/or piston ring land damage, damaged pistons and engine bearings.
Only time will tell if more extensive damage has been done.
Old 05-02-2018
I just registered

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default Melted Fuel Lines - Need Replacement.

Thanks for the advice. I dropped the tank, blew out the lines and disconnected the common rail and all seems good.

I found the real cause of all the white smoke though. The T-fitting in the fuel system next to the filter had a small hole in it. I had never noticed it before as I never smelt or seen diesel on the ground. With the petrol running though it and leaking it caught the plastic fuel retainers on fire and melted them. I can see flame damage all around the protective heat padding and all of the fuel retainers are pretty much melted.

I was able to get the jeep running using the melted connections but its by no means is it safe, I just wanted to see if the jeep would run. Now I have to replace all the fuel lines. I am thinking of going with AN6 fittings and making my own braided lines, any objections to that idea?

When I dropped the tank I noted two of the top return/breather lines were cracked and not connected at all. There was a stick up there and it looks like the stick wedged up there and broke them. I have no idea how long its been that way. Any ideas on how to replace that top white cap?

I also need to replace the sensor pig tail under the fuel filter, it got melted as well but I forgot to take a pic of it. Any idea what that part number is?

Thanks again,
Old 05-02-2018
I just registered

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

This site is great, I found the fix for the broken return

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ight=fuel+line
Old 05-02-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts

The wiring and plug going to the bottom of he fuel filter assembly is the 'water in fuel sensor'. It is very common to damage these wires and plug cos people usually forget to disconnect them before undoing the water trap to release water in the fuel filter. As it is a commonly replaced item Jeep supply a genuine replacement pigtail for about $60USD, can find it online. BUT, for me personally after mine got damaged I haven't bothered to fit the new pigtail cos the water in sensor is a joke and sets of the light on the dash after you have driven through a puddle or been through the carwash.

Replacing all the fuel lines is a good idea too.

Can add some TCW3 marine oil into your fuel to help further lubricate the fuel system espsecially when you run the engine for the first time after cleaning everything. I actually run 300ml of TCW3 per tank in my CRD anyway on a normal day to day basis.

Also, if you are not already, join the JK Wrangler CRD Owners group on facebook. Plenty of knowledge there for CRD's.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119
Old 05-02-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 37 Times in 28 Posts

You're going well, having run on petrol is not always as detrimental as you would think. I have heard many stories of the petrol being flushed out and the engine running fine there after.
Post New Thread  Reply