All-New Thar from Mahindra… and it’s coming to Oz next year! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-08-2020
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,177 Times in 710 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default All-New Thar from Mahindra… and it’s coming to Oz next year!

Mahindra has just revealed the All-New Thar in India and the fun-sized two-door 4×4 will land in Australia in the first half of next year.

Mahindra’s All-New Thar has just been unveiled and it’s going on sale in Australia in 2021.

Of course, the Thar looks a lot like a Jeep Wrangler, and that’s because Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd has been building Jeep-based 4x4s in India since the 1950s – longer, in fact, than Jeep’s current owner Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA).

“The All-New Thar is firmly rooted in our rich automotive heritage and upholds the Mahindra DNA in its purest form,” Dr. Pawan Goenka, MD & CEO, Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd said. “We are proud of our authentic SUV legacy that has been guarding the freedom of this nation by serving the armed forces since the 1950s, while simultaneously becoming the spirit of adventure and a lifestyle icon. The All-New Thar is a dynamic expression of fun, freedom and independence, and is geared up for its next adventure.”

The All-New Thar will be offered with Hard Top, Convertible Top and Soft Top roof options and with either four seats or, in India at least, a 2+4 seating configuration with inward facing rear seats.

There are two engine options: a 2.0-litre mStallion TGDi petrol engine making a claimed 112kWp and 320Nm and a 2.2 litre mHawk diesel engine making a claimed 97kW and 320Nm. The diesel is the same engine used in the Mahindra Pik-Up. There are also two transmission options: a six-speed automatic transmission and a six-speed manual gearbox, and the Thar runs a part-time shift-on-the-fly 4×4 system with a two-speed transfer case.

Under its Jeep-like exterior, the Thar runs a separate chassis with an independent front suspension system and a live-axle rear with coil springs. Although it doesn’t have a live-axle up front like the Jeep Wrangler, Mahindra assures us the Thar is an off-road capable machine; the rear axle is equipped with a locker and the Thar boasts 226mm of ground clearance, a 650mm wading depth, and decent off-road angles (41.8° approach, 36.8° departure and 27° ramp-over). Tyres are 255/65R18s on alloy rims.

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 19-08-2020

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

No respect for intellectual property...

Sent from my I4293 using Tapatalk
Old 20-08-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JL
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts

How would Mahindra promote this in Australia? Most would think its a Jeep and go to a Jeep dealer.
Old 20-08-2020
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,177 Times in 710 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

They sold well in Australia back in the 80's

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 21-08-2020
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by limaynard View Post
No respect for intellectual property...

Sent from my I4293 using Tapatalk
Mahindra have been building Jeeps under licence since the 1940s. Just because everyone else forgot doesn't mean they did.
Old 21-08-2020
AJOR Bronze

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

pretty sure Mahindra's license expired ages ago, they are still building something looks like jeep unlicensed

in any case, their expired jeep license let them build CJ in india for indian market.
Old 21-08-2020

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNEJK View Post
pretty sure Mahindra's license expired ages ago, they are still building something looks like jeep unlicensed

in any case, their expired jeep license let them build CJ in india for indian market.
There's a reason FCA sued Mahindra over the Roxor.
Post New Thread  Reply