Low oil pressure on start WK2 CRD - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-08-2022
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,158 Times in 613 Posts

...happy camper now...heading up to the Cape via the CREB, Bloomfield and the OTT in 3 weeks so very pleased all seems to be ok after all.
I gotta admit I was a bit apprehensive about going while I was having doubts about what was going on inside the engine...with the occasional low pressure thing,

As Drover and most here would do, inspect the sump plug and open the pleats on the filter cartridge looking for signs of wear debris when changing the oil.

I always too let an engine idle for the first half minute or so anyway to get the oil moving to the top of the engine and through the turbo, before running it up to around 1000rpm holding it until the oil temp gets to around 25c...that will assist the thing anyway along with the regular oil / filter changes.

Just doing the last prep tomorrow for the Cape in fact...fitting breather extensions to the diffs, transfer case and transmission. Everything else ready to go...I think.
Just want to do a load test on the start battery, it currently sits around 14v - 14.2v on the run, but see it sitting around 12.2v ish while parked with ignition on but not running, Cranks over fine, but I thought it should be sitting at least at 12.6v while standing.

Any thoughts on that?
Old 16-08-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,988 Times in 2,354 Posts

You better take some of that ulcer stuff with you, your going to worry yourself an ulcer ............... No matter what checks you do, spares you carry the thing that breaks you won't have a spare for or a spanner to fit that bolt thats works loose, trust me on that one........... Used to have the What If's, never did any good so now I just go with it, nothing has changed but when it hits the fan I just get it sorted...things like batteries and other electrical checks are just like the tags on electrical gear, shows it was okay at that time, 10 mins later it can blow up.... especially batteries had new ones die in a few days yet a 5 yr old job that sat under water for hours last another 3 years....

Chill out Dude go with the flow...

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 17-08-2022
Lowranger Shocker

...yeah I know Murphy's Law only too well...

As far as the "but it was fine yesterday" deal...over the years I have learned to roll with the punches and adopted the "just suck it up Princess" type approach...accept that s...t will happen from time to time.

I just have this thing too about seeing Jeeps on the back of tilt tray...just the thought of a Toyota or Nissan driver seeing a broken down Jeep gives me the shivers...lol

...just don't want to get 1000kms up the road and kick myself that I didn't check this or that! There isn't much I haven't done in preparation.

That said though, I can honestly say not a single one of my 5 previous Jeeps ever had a major failure while on a road trip, always got me home...the only fail I have had was stripping the dog in the free wheeling hub in my CJ5...and that was my fault anyway, massive tyres and too many revs...even the fire I had under the bonnet of the CJ7 one time didn't stop it, so I am pretty confident really.

Last edited by Jeeper6; 17-08-2022 at 09:01 AM.
Old 17-08-2022
MonsterMoose

As a DiYer I like to think my rig is ready to roll with a few hours notice, my van is always just add food and good to go so too the Jeep, just a matter of throwing in the touring crates. Living where I do I see far more Tojo's and Fords on the back of tilt trays than Jeeps, often not the vehicles fault though but as for comments from others, " Ever owned one, fella?" usually the answer is "No", my reply being "Then you don't really know, I have had 3 along with 1 each of all the others" usually shuts them up... Don't mention I wouldn't take this to some of the places I took the others, would have wrecked it for sure....... ripped out tranny and bashed the crap out of panels not to mention the odd submarine trip, something none of these modern things would handle well...... My WK suits my touring lifestyle of travelling in comfort to a T, done with the bone shaking....and I still get that big smile when I plant it to overtake...

Old 06-11-2022
I just registered

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

@ Jeeper6

A bit late to the thread, however, have you had further issues with the low pressure fault? or able to find out any further info?
I agree with the enigma to find info about JGC. I have contacted techauthority to find out about the USB manuals.

To confirm was this in the 3.0L eco diesel? Out of curiosity what year model?

I am currently checking with AlfaOBD to be able to monitor the pressure. I am also looking to confirm pressure switch vs analogue transducer. I was also on the hunt to find diagram of oil circuit. Not sure if the sensor is on the input or output side of filter.

Alternative to OBD2 or capillary gauge could be to use multimeter & sensor spec value & scale the 0-5V range. (assuming analogue sensor).

I am suspecting it is a low (0.4bar) pressure switch.

Out of curiosity do you run a scangauge?

Thanks,
Freejeep
Old 07-11-2022
MonsterMoose

Jeepers is mucking about camping but is sure to get back to you soon, the Grand in this thread he took swimming and has low oil pressure permanently now.............

What oil are you using and whats the brand and number of the filter in use ???

While yanks only see a 3lt diesel after 2014, our Grands are Export models and have many differences to those that are found in the USA both in model set ups and engine gearbox parameters so always be careful when researching WK2's on Yank sites, they have a L630 engine where we have the A630 . The L630 is really the EcoDiesel while ours is the dirty one with less restrictive pollution rubbish on it...... still too much really.

Old 13-11-2022
Lowranger Shocker

G'day Freejeep...thanks Drover for stepping in...yeah, I am at a little place named Tyalgum until Tuesday when I head home to wrestle the good bits off my old Jeep to fit to the new.
As far as low oil pressure issue goes, Drover is correct in that we went swimming and it now has permanent low oil pressure.
The pressure sensor is before the filter as far as I know, I read the oil pressure off the SRT settings as they all come with the gauges if you set them via the OBD. 14 psi at idle 700rpm, up to 40 psi I was getting at 4000rpm.

The "new" Jeep reads exactly the same pressures as the old one did. But this one doesn't rattle at start up. My old one only started doing that after I had replaced the complete oil cooler / filter housing when the oil cooler failed. Dunno whether there was any connection or not.
Cheers