WKs breaking down,diesels! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2023
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 846 Times in 474 Posts
Default WKs breaking down,diesels!

Happened to have a look at the Jeep,Grand Cherokee FB site a few times lately,geez so many guys having big problems outback Qld towing .Everything from auto problems to vehicles in limp mode ,to total full stops. ! Maybe W58 recalls,not done,being told by Jeep service that the 8 speed sealed for life! Poor services,vehicles getting older.Was looking at a 2017 GC diesel ,a lot of PCM problems noted in that year.! And just to cap it off I am in Tenterfield and guess what a GC diesel came out of the showgrounds on a flatbed !Had two XJs both did 300000 ks. took us all over ! Very little went wrong and easily fixed!
Am I loosing a little bit of faith inJeeps after thirty years,b………d if I know really!
Old 10-06-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,324 Times in 762 Posts

There 'may' be issues with the biuld on our buses...but....thorough servicing appears to assist in longevity.....imho its the u beaut 'tech' monitoring every tiny input from three million four hundred and sixty two sensors then relaying that back to one hundred and thirty seven control modules or 'brain boards' all being asked to perform flawlessly seventy six thousand times a second that lets em down the most.....a poomfteenth a fraction of a millisecond out of time with a response and bam...Houston we have a problem....I will get shot down by those that believe the info relay is a god send, saving any thought by the nut behind the wheel 'cos its doin the checks for you'....but....as I have said many times and its a fact, not a train of thought....its a machine, it WILL break down....its ALWAYS up to the owner of ANYTHING to maintain the product....personal opinions on just what that implies differ enormously....the outcomes are two polar opposites....we never actually fully know the full history of the machine unless bought new....even then....there appears to be HUGE differences in the performances across the range of our buses...
Conclusion : 42......or a Pineapple...depending on your birth date.

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 10-06-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,949 Times in 2,330 Posts

Who knows really, poor servicing more than likely doesn't help either...... I'll have to have a revisit of the Faceache site, got turned off by all the dumb comments.

You have also posted the same thread 3 times, must be slow internet down there in toe freezing country............

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 10-06-2023
Rock Munki

Agree Drover...from my very limited time of ownership and experience...servicing appears to be key...however....Ive met and seen two forum members and their buses...one was immaculate and had very little off road use and had been a pita for the original owner and maintainer with ongoing relay problems and three replacement trannys (admittedly one was definitely the "Professional' installers fk up)..second one was bought secondhand, has not even had the first relay recall peformed, has had the tranny serviced regularly, gets used off road in its true sense of that term and has never let him down...mine gets limited off road use, and even that is at a 'soft level', gets serviced at a 10k filters n oil cycle, diffs n transfer case are due in next 5k(every 30k)...isnt immaculate....has had the first fuel pump recall done and still has used around a dozen relays and the tranny wasnt serviced in its first 150k of life and as stated is stalked....three completely different uses, locations but the same year model/era...not much difference between them as far as issues are concerned but enough to see a difference....no base line I can see really....pot luck...

Old 10-06-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 672 Times in 377 Posts

Worth remembering that there are 15k members on that page, who are also more likely to post when there are problems, as opposed to when there aren't any problems.

There are also heaps of people posting their success stories of huge trips with heavy vans - things will go wrong in some cases, just like with any vehicle or piece of mechanical equipment.

As you said, some people are putting their vehicles through a lot of work and don't necessarily keep up servicing as they should. I can relate to you about having a bit of lingering anxiety about reliability, but reassure myself that I'm doing all I can to stay out of trouble. If it happens, it happens.

Old 10-06-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 40 Times in 19 Posts

My wife and I started watching a new sc-fi series about a spaceship taking humans to a new planet. Half way there bits start falling off the ship and smashing into other bits then the electronics play up and no-one can figure out what the problem is, until one guy kicks the dash panel and suddenly everything works. I thought this was a spaceship made by Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge for sure. Great until it isn't.
Old 10-06-2023
Rock Munki

And even when it isnt, a quick reset with a hand held device can make it all okay...puts my years of 'tool work' to shame in seconds...lol

Post New Thread  Reply