HPFP Recall in the US - Page 13 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 1 Week Ago
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,949 Times in 2,330 Posts

Well the photos from the 2018 book show why oil companies are confused and some owners have DPF problems, Jeep have listed a 5W40 ACEA A3/B4 oil, that is wrong, that spec is not a low ash oil suitable for DPF's, they have listed API CJ-4 which is, so they are the cause of many engine problems I reckon with workshops throwing in the wrong oil ...............

My 2015 booklet while showing 5W30 oil at least has the spec right in a low ash ACEA C3 oil listed though I went to 5W40 ACEA C3 right from the go and it lists services after the 20K km service at every 20K for oil an d filter and 40K for air and fuel filter, stuff that mine all get dropped at 10K km.............

I now use a 10W40 API CK4/ ACEA E9 oil, changed at 10K along with the other filters, tranny and TC changed around 40k ...its more HD........ the minimum oil I would use would be a API CJ4 or ACEA C3 in 5W40 changed at 10K km.

So while a workshop may be putting in the right grade it must be specced for DPF's... the spec is far more important than some brand name..

Think I have mentioned this before about wrong info in the glove box book....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 1 Week Ago
Full Flexer

Liked 672 Times in 377 Posts

Service intervals were changed to 12mo / 20,000 with the MY17 facelift to reduce the 'cost to run' and improve environmental ratings. Nothing vehicle-side changed to warrant this.

Old 1 Week Ago
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,150 Times in 610 Posts

It is mad that vehicle owners are not educated to consider the environment their particular vehicle operates in...especially diesels.
A diesel powered vehicle used as a shopping trolley which never really gets to operating temps should really be serviced more regularly than a diesel doing long country runs...yet these are the local runners are the ones that often stretch the service intervals out even further....then wonder why they have ongoing issues with the DPF.

In years gone by diesels were always dearer to service than their petrol powered cousins...additional fuel filters to change, as well as more frequent oil changes due to the nature of diesel engines to create more blow-by in to the sump due to the much higher compression ratios...hence oil being dirty that much sooner.
Then add todays choking emission control add ons and the issues are only magnified.

Sure, oil technologies have improved, but oils is still oils and it needs to be as clean as possible. It is ridiculous that manufacturers are fitting even smaller oil filters and extending oil change intervals leaving the consumer to pick up the pieces...hello FCA.

No comparison to a heavy duty diesel engine such as fitted to trucks which often have at least two decent sized oil filters and at least two decent sized fuel filters...and run hot the majority of the time.
These larger engines generally get a service at around 20,000kms...some even push to 30,000kms doing oil sampling to ensure the oil condition is still satisfactory. Usually running to well over a million kms before needing any major surgery.
Given that the 20,000 kms is often traveled within about 6 weeks...the cost does come in to play...but...changing the oil is always cheaper than changing the engine!
Hence good or bad I still adhere to the 5,000km oil and filter changes in my Jeep
Old 1 Week Ago
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,949 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCheese View Post
Service intervals were changed to 12mo / 20,000 with the MY17 facelift to reduce the 'cost to run' and improve environmental ratings. Nothing vehicle-side changed to warrant this.
I think it was earlier than that as my 2015 book shows first service at 10,000, second service at 20,000 then every 20,000km after that or 6 mthly .. fuel filters at 40K km intervals is scary though........... all why I run my own schedule... each engine service cost me about $200......... hopefully it keeps the gremlins at bay.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 1 Week Ago
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
I think it was earlier than that as my 2015 book shows first service at 10,000, second service at 20,000 then every 20,000km after that or 6 mthly .. fuel filters at 40K km intervals is scary though........... all why I run my own schedule... each engine service cost me about $200......... hopefully it keeps the gremlins at bay.
Hmmm pretty sure it's 10k intervals in my 2015 book - could be wrong though as I've always just done all filters at 10k

Old 1 Week Ago
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper6 View Post
It is mad that vehicle owners are not educated to consider the environment their particular vehicle operates in...especially diesels.
A diesel powered vehicle used as a shopping trolley which never really gets to operating temps should really be serviced more regularly than a diesel doing long country runs...yet these are the local runners are the ones that often stretch the service intervals out even further....then wonder why they have ongoing issues with the DPF.

In years gone by diesels were always dearer to service than their petrol powered cousins...additional fuel filters to change, as well as more frequent oil changes due to the nature of diesel engines to create more blow-by in to the sump due to the much higher compression ratios...hence oil being dirty that much sooner.
Then add todays choking emission control add ons and the issues are only magnified.

Sure, oil technologies have improved, but oils is still oils and it needs to be as clean as possible. It is ridiculous that manufacturers are fitting even smaller oil filters and extending oil change intervals leaving the consumer to pick up the pieces...hello FCA.

No comparison to a heavy duty diesel engine such as fitted to trucks which often have at least two decent sized oil filters and at least two decent sized fuel filters...and run hot the majority of the time.
These larger engines generally get a service at around 20,000kms...some even push to 30,000kms doing oil sampling to ensure the oil condition is still satisfactory. Usually running to well over a million kms before needing any major surgery.
Given that the 20,000 kms is often traveled within about 6 weeks...the cost does come in to play...but...changing the oil is always cheaper than changing the engine!
Hence good or bad I still adhere to the 5,000km oil and filter changes in my Jeep
Have to remember though that we on here are really the odd ones out when it comes to being 'informed consumers' - not everyone has the desire to know anything about their vehicle. Just want to turn it on, put it in gear, go where they want to go, and service it when the sticker tells them to (maybe).

The onus falls on dealers to some extent - but with many 4wds and utes now being diesel only, their hand is somewhat forced if someone is adamant about the vehicle they want.

Old 1 Week Ago
Full Flexer

Liked 440 Times in 265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCheese View Post
Hmmm pretty sure it's 10k intervals in my 2015 book - could be wrong though as I've always just done all filters at 10k
There's been quite a few updated 'diesel supplements' to the owners manual mate. I've given up on keeping up with it and just do oil and filter every 5k and fuel filter every 10k.