2013 MY14 JGC ED getting hot after DPF & EGR delete - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,158 Times in 613 Posts

I had the hot engine issue with this 2015 when I bought it. I did similar, flushed radiator, new thermostat, new radiator cap, didn't fix it.
A visit to a Dealer which was very hard to do, but necessary. There was a previous recall to flash the ECU, just cannot remember what it was for...but anyway, that update to the ECU affected the fan operation, where it would come on flat out when doing a DPF burn, but wouldn't come on when the engine got hot.

So, similar symptoms, engine & oil temps got really really hot especially when towing...oil would get as high as 125c and coolant would hover around 110c.

The Dealer reflashed the ECU so the fan would come on as it was supposed to, and not scream like a jet taking off when a DPF burn was taking place. So now the fan does not run when doing a DPF burn.

When towing the oil now sits around 104c - 105c on flats and coolant generally 10 degrees cooler at 94c - 95c.
Climbing hills the oil will climb as high as 115c with coolant about 10 degrees behind but drops back very quickly when over the hills.
Not towing oil sits around 85c - 90c, coolant around 80c.
When I pull up after a run where the engine is hot the fan can be heard too running hard to pull, air through and drop temps...

The DPF and EGR delete you have had done may have affected the trigger temps for the cooling fan as well. Maybe worth a visit to a Dealer to have the ECU flashed to reset the fan operating trigger temps.

As drover wrote, you can add SRT mode to your 2014 and you will be able to view all the gauges as you drive without scrolling through the EVIC...you will see oil temp, coolant temp, battery level, oil pressure, (though only algorithm driven), and other readouts as well...worth doing.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 303 Times in 189 Posts

Just be aware if you go to dealer for reflash of ECU, you will basically have to take it straight to your ECU remap place and have them reload the tune. Dealer reflash will wipe your tune and put the emission controls back on. Car will try and do a burn almost straight away and you will get limp mode.
Post New Thread  Reply