Clunk/clicking noise in bellhousing - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-01-2004
HydroKing

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Default Clunk/clicking noise in bellhousing

Guys, recently my tj has had a slight clicking noise when i let the clutch out and load up the drivetrain in forward or reverse - as if something is taking up slack as i take off from lights/driveway. I took it down to the dealer today to get them to have a look and they definately agreed and also tested it with his stethescope and there is a faint noise coming from the clutch/bellhousing

I informed him that i'd be going to Rainbow next week and asked if it would be ok to do so with that slight noise and his reply was that the clutch seems fine so it's probably something that needs a minor adjustment & rainbow would be fine.

Specs:
2002 model
Serviced by the dealer by the book
Rear main seal replaced about 10,000k ago under warranty

Any thoughts? I hope it's a warranty job...
Old 28-01-2004
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep! I have the same type of noise too! You can hear it at idle, makes a racket, but push the clutch in and it disapears! Went to the dealer and they said that a lot of newer TJ have the same problem. They thought it came from the gear box. I think it could the a loose clutch pressure plate bearing. The one that the fork pushes on. I'll go to an other dealer and get them to check it for a second opinion! TJ 2001 Manual.

Also in my previous 97 TJ, I had a rattling noise, kind of pinging under load, took 6 months checking everything mechanically. Took it everywhere, but no one could really say what it was. One day I was under the bonnet fitting air horns and happen to knock one the aircond metal hose against the firewall, and it did sound like the same noise. So I cut up a old tyre tube and tied up little pieces to dampened everything loose, and the noise disapeared. So check under the bonnet first and rattle everything to make sure its not something so simple!!
Old 28-01-2004
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den
Yep! I have the same type of noise too! You can hear it at idle, makes a racket, but push the clutch in and it disapears!
Den that sounds like the input shaft bearing on you gearbox is stuffed
Old 28-01-2004
HydroKing

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den
Yep! I have the same type of noise too! You can hear it at idle, makes a racket, but push the clutch in and it disapears! Went to the dealer and they said that a lot of newer TJ have the same problem. They thought it came from the gear box. I think it could the a loose clutch pressure plate bearing. The one that the fork pushes on. I'll go to an other dealer and get them to check it for a second opinion! TJ 2001 Manual.

Also in my previous 97 TJ, I had a rattling noise, kind of pinging under load, took 6 months checking everything mechanically. Took it everywhere, but no one could really say what it was. One day I was under the bonnet fitting air horns and happen to knock one the aircond metal hose against the firewall, and it did sound like the same noise. So I cut up a old tyre tube and tied up little pieces to dampened everything loose, and the noise disapeared. So check under the bonnet first and rattle everything to make sure its not something so simple!!
I have that noise sometimes but only occasionally - usually when she's warmed up nice. It sounds like a bag of marbles in a tin can? The noise i'm talking about isn't at idle - it sounds like Jimmyb's suspension as he's in Ormeau and it's flexing. Kinda like when i take off one of my susp. springs is creaking. It's only when i'm letting the clutch out (any rev range) the clutch is taking up slack...hard to explain.

Anyhow's the Jeep is booked in & they reckon they'll need it for 3 DAYS!!! and they want $33 per day for a courtesy car...oh well...
Old 29-01-2004
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

I was thinking a throwout bearing.....
Old 29-01-2004
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Same noise on mine.... 03 2500km's.... Mullers say its normal.... its just a jeep g/box wihne nothing to worry about

I Wish I had stopped there!!!!!!!
Old 29-01-2004
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i've had the same noise (sounds the same as what you're describing) on my TJ since day 1 -