D35 axle parts - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2006
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default D35 axle parts

Hi all, just brought a cherokee with a bad rear axle. the whole diff needs a rebuild. I,ve had a quote off $2000 to rebuild it, including new axles. Axle are around $500 each. Do these prices sound right? I do plan on keeping the car for awhile and plan on upgrading the tyres to 31's, would there be a better option than fix the currunt axle? or would it be fine with 31's? thanks
Old 07-01-2006
hellbilly deluxe

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

dont get it rebiult at that price. either go for a cheapy second hand from somewhere like mascot motors or spend some money and go for a more substantial rear ie d44 d60 or ford nine. I run 35" on a d44 rear and super 30 front.
Old 07-01-2006
RubiconSlammer

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Random extra question. Would fitting a D44 to an XJ increase track?
2001 XJ TD 31s & 5"
Old 07-01-2006
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are there any diff that are direct swaps? If not is there any one out there that have done this before. GoJeep, who is building up your nine inch housing?
Old 07-01-2006
LokRinger

Liked 1,765 Times in 558 Posts

Dana 44 from a TJ ( same axle width of 60" from Supa F Spares was worth $3300. You would then have to re-gear it ( stock 3.07 TJ, 3.54 XJ ) and pay for the install and removal of all brackets and swapping the XJ ones on to it. You are looking at minium of $1000 for ratio's and labour installing it without factoring in the bracket swap and without a diff centre change like a Tru-Trac which adds another $1096.70.
There is only one direct swap but it is not avaliable here and that is a not that common, a Dana 44 from pre 91 XJ with a tow package. Been quoted $1500 just for the housing alone and maybe the axles. Then still have to fit the ratios and centre to but the brackets are ready to go.
A Ford Explorer runs 8.8 axle but is 1.5" narrower so you must run wheel spacers ( illegal ) to stop the tyres from rubbing on the springs. You still have to cut all the brackets off as they are spring under and the shouck mounts are wrong too.
As for Ford 9" They have way more to choose from in the States then we do. Also the 28 spline is not that great either once you are in low range as have snapped one of those axles first time out in my CJ7 with a shortened F100 rear. The 31 spline I never broke though!
Axle Widths:

65-66 Mustang 57.25 inches

67-70 Mustang 59.25 inches

71-73 Mustang 61.25 inches

77-81 Versailles 58.50 inches

67-73 Mustang, Torino, Ranchero, Fairlane 9" 59.25 inches to 61.25 inches

57-59 Ranchero and station wagon rears, 57.25 inches

66-77 Bronco 9", 58 inches

77-81 Granada/Versailles, 58 inches

67-71 Comet, Cougar, Mustang, Fairlane, 59.25 inches

71-73 Mustang, 61.25 inches

64 Falcon 58 inches

67 Cougar 60 inches

67 Fairlane 63.50 inches (coil springs)

72 Ford Van 3/4 ton 68 inches

73-86 65.25 inches

57-59 Ranchero and station wagon 57.25 iches (narrowest 9" housing)

66-77 Bronco 58 inches but has 5-on-5 1/2 inch diameter bolt circle

67-73 Torinos, Rancheros, Fairlanes 59.25 inches or 61.25 inches

67-71 Comets, Cougars, Fairlanes 59.25 inches

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where To Find:

67-73 medium and big block Mustangs and Cougars

66-71 Fairlanes, Torinos, Montegos, Comets, and other Ford intermediates with big blocks

57-59 V8 Fords and Mercurys

77-81 Lincoln Versailles & Trucks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Type Of 9" Housings:

67-73 Mustang/Cougar - light duty, thinnest housing material, small axle bearings, 28 and 31 splines

57-68 passenger car and 1/2 ton truck - medium duty, stronger than Mustang type, 28 and 31 splines

Ranchero/Torino - heavy duty thick wall housing, 3.25 inch diameter axle tubes with flat tops

69-77 Galaxies (coils), Lincolns (coils), and late pickups (leaf)- 3.25 inch diameter all the way to the backing plate, coil housings have upper control arm mount

How To Recognize 9" Housing Centers:

57 - no dimples, flat center band up the center of the rear cover, bottom drain plug

58-59 - two dimples on back of housing, flat center band, some had drain holes

60-67 - two dimples, flat center band, oil level hole in back cover

63-77 Lincoln, LTD, Thunderbirds had 9.375 inch centers, housings were cut away at the gasket surface for ring gear clearance, one curved rib at the front top portion of differential, strong but no gears

Types of 9" Axles:

28 spline axles cannot be shortened and resplined (they're tapered)

72 and earlier 31 spline axles have the ability to be shortened

73 and later 9" (cars) have a 5-on-5 bolt circle and the axles cannot be shortened

67-73 Mustang axles identified by wheel flange:

oval hole - 28 splines

two large holes and counter sunk center - 31 splines

More Facts:

5 on 5 lug pattern is a truck pattern

A 9" complete rear axle is approximately 35 pounds heavier than an 8.8 rear axle with approximately the same components.

It is common to find a 9" in a old Falcon or Comet that has had a HIPO SMALL block with 31 splines and a locker.

If the case has two verticle RIBS ,from top to middle of case it is a good IRON type IF in the very center of this case there is the letter "N" than this is a NODULAR CASE (GREAT) this is the strongest factory case made BY FORD!!!

The ranger truck works good with a 9" from a 64 to 71 Falcon, Comet, some 65 to 69 Mustangs or 64 to 67 Ranchero V8 cars.

I believe that our Falcon's are around the 64-65" according to a axle builder near by. Not sure on the Bronco axle like Jimmy is running but he says it is quite wide and would be around the same then as a Falcon but has the wrong stud pattern of 5 on 5" instead of our 5 on 4.5".

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 07-01-2006
LokRinger

Liked 1,765 Times in 558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio
Are there any diff that are direct swaps? If not is there any one out there that have done this before. GoJeep, who is building up your nine inch housing?
Looking at getting the whole axle assembly built in the States by Currie using their high pinion 9" centre. Just working out the details now as have had another axle builder in the States offer to build me one to my specs as well when he heard I was after one. Might be a little cheaper but dont know yet. Still going to add up to a lot by the time it is landed here but might be able to pay a few hundred to have put in someone shipping container.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 07-01-2006
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are the measurements given, from out side axle flange to out side axle flange? I'm also worried if I swap diff over, that I'll have trouble with the ABS. Any ideas how to over come this?
Post New Thread  Reply