First drive of the CRD diesel - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-04-2007
Just Build it

What Jeep do I drive?: Brute
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts

I thought the JK CRD sounds pretty sweet, and just remember, the 4 cyl diesel engines will always sound 'rougher' than the 6 cyl variants. Its simple, they are'nt as smooth to fire.
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD
Old 28-04-2007
HydroKing

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

The JK doesn't tempt me at all at this stage. However, if a HEMI V8 becomes available i would be very tempted to trade in the TJ.
Old 01-05-2007
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemijeepy
Are you for real mate...... Do you even own a Jeep, the 2.7 is one of the best diesels made, not as good as the v6 3liter hence why it replaced it!!!!!

Where do you get the Rough from and noise!!! Have you stood next to a 3L Patrol when its Cold Or warm.... Have you had the pleasue of a 4.2lt 100 series pull up next to you..... They shake my house windows when my mates pull up..... Even my friends with D4D 06 Hilux give credit where due... They have all commented on the quiteness and power of the 400nm 5cyl .....

Very interesting comment salesguy...
Hey, I'm not bagging the 2.7. I did a lot of ks in 2.7 demos and sold dozens of them. We did a couple with the DP chips and they are deadset jets ! There's something very very satisfying about driving a diesel 4x4 and blasting most cars away at the lights....

....however, I found the 5 cylinder 2.7 to be quite rough and noisy, not as bad as the first KJ 2.8s admittedly. Better on fuel by a long way over the new 3.0, nearly as quick, but no-where near as refined.

Having said all that, if I had to spend my own money on a Jeep again, a WG Overland 2.7 would be in my top 2 or 3 choices.
Old 10-05-2007
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I gotta agree with salesguy re the diesel, they are the goods.

Nice tight torque converter on them. The one I drove felt like it was around 1800RPM or maybe lower??

I use a WJ with a 2.7L CRD and it's a great package and tows the buggy fine (even used to tow the big heavy TJ) but my only complaint would be the loose torque converters in them, although they're not as bad as the new 2.5 intercooled navaras!

Back to the JKs you can hear it's a diesel from inside, but what do you want out of a diesel 4WD vehicle? I don't feel they're any noisier than any other non-4WD diesel out there. Perhaps it's loud compared to a Peugot diesel

http://maddog.zook.org
Old 11-05-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me get this straight, you guys want a quiet refined engine in a Wrangler???

So long as it has some stick (it has enough) it is a Wrangler, you know the car that most resembles a tractor..... sheesh, looks like a Wrangler outside rides, handles and is whisper quiet a la (not Allah) Bentley inside. Would make great ad copy.....
Old 11-05-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Kiwi, I'm wondering if its due to the diesel quality and or set up. Thats in regards to what NZ gets and what Aus gets. There are slightly differents rules for each....It may have a factor.
Old 11-05-2007
AJOR Gold

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooders View Post
Nope that honour would go to the Hemi 6.1SRT - THIS is the engine they SHOULD fit to the JK.
Even a regular Hemi....or even the old 5.9 that the Yanks got with the ZJ would rank up there.....
OK I like V8's....but i'd buy a diesel.....if it came in a V8

Mmmmm 6.1Lt wrangler - Yeeeehar gonna go dukes of hazard on someones ass

Post New Thread  Reply