1st 4WD, a Jeep. Some info Needed. - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-06-2009
Banned

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

when i had my jeep serviced, i got the mechanic, while he was changing coolant, to replace the jeep thermostat with a more sensible thermostat that kicks in at about 80-90degC instead of over 100 which is just asking for trouble, the cost was like $20, negligable. Since then ive had no probs driving up soft sand dunes in 40degree heat. Jeep cooling system is a capable one, just needs a normal thermostat.

Also, dont drive in soft sand with an auto in drive. The transmission keeps trying to change up a gear with alot of load on the wheels. This is like trying to ride a bike up hill in a high gear, foot is flat on the floor with the jeep struggling. This can cause overheating. Use highrange 1st or lowrange drive. For running up sand dunes i use low range 2nd but depends what transmission you got. Between driving tecnique and new thermostat i have not had any overheat issues.

Last edited by Gone; 16-06-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 16-06-2009
I've Been Banned

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

XJ's are great for sand driving!!!
Being a fishman ive gone up and down the coastal beaches looking for the best beach fishing spots! Stockton Beach was my best spot, ive been that meany times that i could drive to my fishing spot with my eyes closed! Even if the sand dunes have moved, lol....

The XJ's panels are dipped in gal, but theres things like: leaf springs, diffs, control arms, control arm brackets, rubber on tie rods,enegine block, etc....
these are all things that will RUST!

A good thing to think about doing before beach driving is to prepare your 4x4.

Things like: spary liquid lanolin under your car, everywhere! When you have finished for the day give your car a good clean!

My vote is get the cherokee XJ, you will not look back
Old 16-06-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My opinion - an update XJ, but petrol, not diesel (I would run a million miles from a diesel XJ) - lpg would be a bonus as well. My 1998 is on LPG and is fantastic and cheap to run.
A set of Cooper AT/R's or BFG A/T's and I reckon you'll be right for the beach.
Old 16-06-2009

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Exellent, more good info!

Thanks Skotup, theromstat idea is a good one. If the car I buy looks like running hot, I'll book it in for new, less sensitive thermostat. And thanks for the tip on gear selection. 1st trip on the soft stuff and she'll be in low range drive. I won't be taking on any sand dunes for a while yet!

PK, he diesel model sounds a shocker. There's not to many up for sale anyway. Either way I like the sound of the 4L petrol models. Tyre info taken on-board.

NT Boy, you sound wrapt with your XJ. The odds are that will be the model I'll get. And all rust control ideas considered. I may even try the same idea I use for my boat trailer- a 50/50 mix of diesel and engine oil sprayed from and sizable atomiser. Looks ugly but definitly not rust! Shouldn't damage anything I'd imagine?

Cheers,

Phil
Old 18-06-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You're mix is effective but very bad for the environment the residue from the run off would leave behind oil films. Lanolin is a better solution. Not sure why pk thinks the diesel is such a bad idea. Haven't had one myself but have read good things about them and my diesel Landy loved the sand and even when towing 2t van never went over 15l per 100k the same can't be said for the petrol rubi that hardly ever gets under 14 and has been as high as 35 in the soft stuff. Anyway hope you find the right vehicle.
Old 18-06-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dhard, I would have a diesel JK anytime, but the question was about the XJ diesel, and do a search on here for some info on XJ diesel problems......

Enough said!
Post New Thread  Reply