Rubicon "rock rails" - Page 10 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-07-2011
DetroitDemon

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca2801 View Post
Not rocket science Yom, bolted to body- body mounted, bolted to chassis (even through the body to chassis mount) then they are chassis mount. You may have some validity if Vic mounted them between the chassis and body but he quite clearly doesn't. So when slider pushes up, pushes on mount which pushes up on chassis so weight on slider to chassis, not body......again! Sometimes you really dribble rubbish for no apparent reason. Bored hey? Slow post count? Or do you seriously not get it yet?
Not bored, simply you're wrong and you don't like it.

The bracket slides in between the large metal washer and between the rubber section of the mount. Inside the rubber-covered section of the mount seems to be a solid section which I would guess is most likely one piece all the way to the flat top of the mount which the body sits on. The chassis will only take up any load once the rubber has stretched upwards as far as it can which allowing the slider mount to contact the circular steel section of the body mount assembly. Result is that the slider is body mounted as the load is not going directly into the chassis but rather being distributed by the body mount. I still think the idea is a very valid solution particularly due to no modification required to fit or remove and better than most of the body mounted and even some of those dicky looking things which bolt to the frame.

Last edited by Yom; 29-07-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 29-07-2011
MudSplasher

Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

Hahahah So I guess it is the latter...you still dont get it! Whatever, again still not worth the effort! Goodluck with it!
Old 29-07-2011
MudSplasher

nope sorry that logic is wrong, as explained above if the slider tansfers the vehicle weight to the chassis it chassis mounted...if it bolts to the body and transfer directly into the body and not the chassis then its body mounted!

Matt.
Old 29-07-2011
MudSplasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyzor View Post
weight transfer is differnt to mounting points..

does that mean hardtops are suspension mounted seeing as if you load the top up the weight gets transferd to the suspension (sagging)
Uhhhh mounting points define the mass transfer design of the slider???
Old 29-07-2011
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca2801 View Post
nope sorry that logic is wrong, as explained above if the slider tansfers the vehicle weight to the chassis it chassis mounted...if it bolts to the body and transfer directly into the body and not the chassis then its body mounted!

Matt.
No I understand full well what you're saying. I edited last post to clarify what I am getting at.

Tell me if I am explaining your POV now:

Take the body off the vehicle and place a nut on the top of the body mount to hold the center bolt in place. There is now no body but the slider is still attached to the vehicle. Any load placed on the slider goes through the rubber mount which now can only place a load on the frame.

Thing is without the body on top of the mount (and hence also the center section, as it is rigid and encased in rubber) it is not constrained by anything so it will be happy and free to move however the load on the slider (or, center bolt of body mount) dictates and the movement in the rubber allows. When you plop the body back on top you're stiffening the assembly and not allowing the top of the body mount (and the center section) to rotate at all with the varying load that would be placed into it from slider. Due to the mounts to the slider itself needing to be long in order to offer any side protection to the body there will be considerable leverage on the mount. Without the body on top, the mount will tilt within its constraints. With the body on top it will no longer be allowed to tilt unless it can move the body with it (which it can to a degree).

So no, not strictly chassis mounted. I define a chassis mount as direct, rigid connection chassis.
Old 03-09-2011
DetroitDemon

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

anyone got any thoughts on these rock sliders for JK rubicon.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12057_1211_07.htm

Any other good options out there but dont want to spend a fortune if i have to
Old 05-09-2011
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Well my Poly performance sliders have landed - geez they are strong !

Now all i have to do is fit them. Note to self - wash crud of chassis before playing underneath this time