WK2 - Front recovery hooks ? - Page 11 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-03-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
The only thing Jeep is really behind with is suitable mounting points
Exactly.

A pretty serious thing to be behind in!
Old 22-03-2012
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thommo View Post
Be carefull here as the Coopers in 265/60 R18 are passenger car rated not light truck so not much different in construction to the Khumos, check the ply ratings etc. The only 18 they have for offroad is a 275/65 R18 which is 10ply and unfortunately 40mm bigger in diameter.
Yep, I'm aware of that.

You typically cant get a 60 series tyre in LT. Though it wasnt long ago that you couldnt get an LT in in 65 series either.
Old 22-03-2012
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester View Post
There are not too many 4wds with standard recovery hooks unless that has changed in last couple of years. About the only one I would call acceptable is the Nissan hook and last time I owned one it was one side only. I would not call the loops on 80 & 100 series cruisers recovery points. Not sure about newer prados, 200's, mitsubishis etc. big issue we looked into as 4wd club committee few years ago. The only thing Jeep is really behind with is suitable mounting points compared the Japs not do much provision itself
Jeep will actually be ahead if they get a proper recovery point out there, even if it's an add-on.

Prados havent had a proper recovery point since the 120 was released, and I believe the situation is the same with Pajeros.

Nissan is probably the last to provide proper points, though maybe Land Rover does too.
Old 23-03-2012
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

That's pretty clear now as I've just seen in last magazine out ArB ad for specific recovery kit packages for newer rigs. So they have obviously identified a need and marketing opportunity. In the club we had a lot of trouble with getting people to take recovery points seriously especially the Toyota crowd who seemed to think the factory tie town loops were the ducks nuts. I suppose when your s#%t don't stink you can think anything.
If only someone like ARB would concentrate on a real bar for them as well.
Old 26-03-2012
Established Member

Quote:
though maybe Land Rover does too
Yes - my brother has a 2011 Disco 4 and it has a properly rated recovery point in the centre front under the bumper.
Old 26-03-2012
Established Member

Lucky my GC has a recovery point on the rear...

I popped a falcon ute out of a muddy paddock on Friday night. He had driven off a gravel carpark into some long grass which turned out to be very muddy and got himself stuck to the door sills. I was able to back up to him and drag him out by his tow bar.

My GC did it easy.
Old 26-03-2012

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhillman View Post
Chrysler have been worryingly silent on the tyre issue, although I have heard of one case of a dealer "coming to the party" on tyres. Not sure if this means they paid for them, or they were just supplied at cost.
I got my car delivered today, and I was lucky enough to negotiate All-Terrain tyres after quite a few emails back and forth with the dealer. (like 20 odd). I ordered my car mid Oct 2011 so at the time the brochure stated All-Terrain tyres with the Off Road pack. I beleive end of Jan 2012 this now states All-Season tyres.

Conversation started when I asked what All-Terrains that the car was coming with the Off Road pack as stated in the brochure. They said it comes with the Kumhos and that they were All-Terrains, once I pointed out they werent it was oh well thats what Chrysler/Jeep Australia provide us for brochures and that what they provide with the car - Take it up with them.

They offered to swap the tyres over to Coopers A/T3 for $1400 which I scoffed at, as I wasnt getting what I had already paid for (I ordered a laredo with the Off Road Adventure pack)

I offered to pay $500 to get the tyres changed as I didnt really want to go to consumer affairs, I kind of wanted it dealt with there and then.

Still no go, dealer was not interested at all, then a copy of the email trail to Crysler/Jeep Australia and to the Dealer Principal of the dealership, saying ok ill pick up the car as is and ill deal with this through Consumer Affairs (Had given the dealer every chance to fix this problem, and I shouldnt be needing to go to Jeep Australia as a customer of a dealership - THEY should have a good relationship with the importer/manufacturer to sort this shit out). I just stated about False/Misleading advertising and the fact that any description of something you buy must be accurate and match what is delivered. (As per the trade practices act)

Within an hour the Dealer had spoken with Jeep and Jeep Australia footed the bill to change the tyres to the Coopers A/T 3. They wanted to put on the Terra Trac tyres I beleive that someone else mentioned in this thread, but the dealer talked them up to the Coopers.

So within the space of an hr I was never going to be returning to the dealer to have them finally fight for me and regain a little respect back for me.

I didnt even approach the recovery point issue as the tyre replacement cost was much greater and wanted this solely focused on to start with. Once Jeep Aust come out with the actual part, and officially say what they are doing (ie putting them on for nothing, or will be charging) then I will start to investigate getting a recovery point sorted out as well.
Post New Thread  Reply