Alterntive Replacement WH/XH Front Diff Bush's - Page 11 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2017
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLaugesen View Post
I've done mine twice without dropping the diff. It was tough doing the upper/passenger side one, but definitely doable... can't think of any specific trick other than having various socket extensions & wobble joints, and getting some good bruises on my arms.

I cut through the outer sleeve of the old bush with a reciprocating saw so they tap out easily, then press the new one in using a threaded-rod style press/puller (a proper one with with correct size sleeves, thrust bearings, etc.).

Got Jeeperf ones waiting to go in, so I'll try to take some photos when I get time to do it.
But is there an overall net benefit to not dropping the diff do you think? i.e. With the amount of time you spend stuffing around working in tight spaces vs more work upfront for easier access?

I suppose I was thinking of adding my strut spacers and potentially replacing tie rod/rack ends at the same time, along with checking/replacing the ball joints, which I assume have never been changed on mine, so there would be some benefit for going the whole hog. I am also thinking that with the Jeeperf ones I shouldn't ever have to change them again (I hope!).
Old 10-05-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 60 Times in 52 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLaugesen View Post
I've done mine twice without dropping the diff. It was tough doing the upper/passenger side one, but definitely doable... can't think of any specific trick other than having various socket extensions & wobble joints, and getting some good bruises on my arms.

I cut through the outer sleeve of the old bush with a reciprocating saw so they tap out easily, then press the new one in using a threaded-rod style press/puller (a proper one with with correct size sleeves, thrust bearings, etc.).

Got Jeeperf ones waiting to go in, so I'll try to take some photos when I get time to do it.
did you roll the diff so it was upside down, did you do it with the mount at the top.
It took me about 30 mins to drop the diff out and about about 5 mins to change the mounts (super pro mounts), i thought i was going to have a bit of a fight on my hands to get the diff back in but it was easy and took about 30 mins to get back in.
Old 11-05-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
But is there an overall net benefit to not dropping the diff do you think? i.e. With the amount of time you spend stuffing around working in tight spaces vs more work upfront for easier access?

I suppose I was thinking of adding my strut spacers and potentially replacing tie rod/rack ends at the same time, along with checking/replacing the ball joints, which I assume have never been changed on mine, so there would be some benefit for going the whole hog. I am also thinking that with the Jeeperf ones I shouldn't ever have to change them again (I hope!).
Yeah I'm not sure re; net benefit. You make a good point re; doing other stuff at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07commander View Post
did you roll the diff so it was upside down, did you do it with the mount at the top.
It took me about 30 mins to drop the diff out and about about 5 mins to change the mounts (super pro mounts), i thought i was going to have a bit of a fight on my hands to get the diff back in but it was easy and took about 30 mins to get back in.
I rolled the diff back a bit, but not upside down, needed to jam my arms up between things to do the top mount, and think I used a long combo of socket extensions with the nut blue-tacked into the socket to thread it back on. Definitely difficult, but I don't remember specifically what things would or wouldn't work.

I have a "low rise" hydraulic lift which might help getting into a good position *shrug*.
30 mins to drop the diff is faster than I expected though, I think you've convinced me!
Old 14-05-2017
Lowranger Shocker

Thumbs down

So I decided to install my Jeeperf poly bushings this weekend and what a f#*%ing disaster!!...

First of all the originals were a pain in the arse to remove, even with having access to a ball joint press I was still forced to hack them out with a chisel and hammer. Took about 45min to an hour to remove each one. Then got to installing the bush above the pinion flange and the ball joint press ended up damaging the flange end of the poly bush.... I am hoping it will still be OK, but the "flange" is half chewed through.

Then onto the front one. There was just no way this thing was going to go in. I measured it up and sure enough, it was almost 1mm larger in diameter than the mount race. Given that this race is in a removable bracket I decided to grind it out with a dremel as it could always be replaced if I made the hole too big. Spent a good hour or so grinding and then started hammering it into place using some of the ball joint tube tools as this bush is too long to use my ball joint press on.

So after hammering away for a good hour or so and getting about 5-10mm from it being seated I started thinking about the 3rd and whether I could be bothered doing it today or not - then all of a sudden.... BANG!!!! The bloody alloy mount on the diff cover snaps off and I can see my diff gears!!.... F*!% me!! Seriously?? I am over this shit...

So now I have a Commander sitting on stands in my driveway with no front diff, a diff sitting on the ground with a broken alloy cover, one bush half installed that still requires pressing home, another bush installed but damaged and the 3rd bush hasn't even been touched yet...

Not sure where to go from here? Any assistance or advice would be appreciated. I had a search online and there doesn't appear to be any aftermarket diff covers available, so I am guessing my only option is to try to get one from a wrecker? Will probably take a week and half to get here as well...

What a shit way to spend a weekend!!
Old 14-05-2017
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Talking

I can always pull the cover off my spare diff & send it to you if you like.
But..
I will need a replacement when you can find one

The part number is
52111964AC
Old 15-05-2017
Lowranger Shocker

Thanks for the offer Clarky!

I will see how I go with the wreckers tomorrow and let you know.
Old 15-05-2017
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
So I decided to install my Jeeperf poly bushings this weekend and what a f#*%ing disaster!!...

First of all the originals were a pain in the arse to remove, even with having access to a ball joint press I was still forced to hack them out with a chisel and hammer. Took about 45min to an hour to remove each one. Then got to installing the bush above the pinion flange and the ball joint press ended up damaging the flange end of the poly bush.... I am hoping it will still be OK, but the "flange" is half chewed through.

Then onto the front one. There was just no way this thing was going to go in. I measured it up and sure enough, it was almost 1mm larger in diameter than the mount race. Given that this race is in a removable bracket I decided to grind it out with a dremel as it could always be replaced if I made the hole too big. Spent a good hour or so grinding and then started hammering it into place using some of the ball joint tube tools as this bush is too long to use my ball joint press on.

So after hammering away for a good hour or so and getting about 5-10mm from it being seated I started thinking about the 3rd and whether I could be bothered doing it today or not - then all of a sudden.... BANG!!!! The bloody alloy mount on the diff cover snaps off and I can see my diff gears!!.... F*!% me!! Seriously?? I am over this shit...

So now I have a Commander sitting on stands in my driveway with no front diff, a diff sitting on the ground with a broken alloy cover, one bush half installed that still requires pressing home, another bush installed but damaged and the 3rd bush hasn't even been touched yet...

Not sure where to go from here? Any assistance or advice would be appreciated. I had a search online and there doesn't appear to be any aftermarket diff covers available, so I am guessing my only option is to try to get one from a wrecker? Will probably take a week and half to get here as well...

What a shit way to spend a weekend!!

I changed mine this weekend as well with the poly ones, no way was I going to do it with diff in so out it came.
To take the two rear out was real easy using what Clarky suggested but I got a bigger set with more sleeves and didn't have to get anything made probably didn't use the kit correctly but it did the job. No hammers etc took about 30 minutes.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/302160352...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
The kit above was $91.00 on ebay when I brought it and is now $280.00 !!!! and Clarkys was around $60.00 from memory.

Getting the new poly ones in proved a little more difficult but the press above did the job bolting two plates thru one end of the g clamp, a sleeve from the kit and a heavier plate with a centring type plug from the kit on the screwed end of the plate .....1 hour later they were in.
No way would I want to take a hammer to my new $400.00 bushes!!

Got the diff back in last night and going to take the front diff mount to a engineering shop...the press kit above will not do that one! worries me that they press the new one in same place.

These new poly ones are definitely heaps harder to install.

Now to put everything back together and replace the front drive shaft rear CV joint.

Last edited by hotqld; 15-05-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply