CRD Auto Transmission - To cooler or not to cooler? - Page 11 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-10-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Well i have bought the cooler but i dont want to cut into the lines without knowing whether the hoses under the car are 3/8 or not.

Also do I join it into the bottom hose?

Does this include the factory cooler or does it bypass it this way?

Cheers

Aydan
Old 23-10-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Have finally fitted a trans cooler on our CRD
Because of the coolers size the transmission service guy suggested i run it in conjunction with the original trans cooler in the radiator.
So far there is no noticeable difference.
I also run a scan gauge and have notice while pottering around the burbs the CIA difference to CWT is around 10 to 15 Celsius.(CIA being the cooler of the 2)
While drive at 100kph the gap grows to around 20 - 25 Celsius.
Cant remember what it was before I put the cooler on at the front
Can anyone out there let me know??
Old 23-10-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono1967 View Post
Have finally fitted a trans cooler on our CRD
Because of the coolers size the transmission service guy suggested i run it in conjunction with the original trans cooler in the radiator.
So far there is no noticeable difference.
I also run a scan gauge and have notice while pottering around the burbs the CIA difference to CWT is around 10 to 15 Celsius.(CIA being the cooler of the 2)
While drive at 100kph the gap grows to around 20 - 25 Celsius.
Cant remember what it was before I put the cooler on at the front
Can anyone out there let me know??
Is the rubber line 3/8 or 5/16? did you cut into the bottom hose as well?
Old 24-10-2011
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default cooler for trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydanrogers View Post
can anyone tell me if a 255x280x19mm cooler is going to be sufficient in size but also will fit behind the grill?
I have the same pwr cooler, sorry not the same mine is only 190x280x19and is hooked up through the radiator still. it works fine. i have no temp reading but i'll give you a story.

on a trip from bris to tassie towing our tvan i had trans over temps when scaned at the dealer. had sometimes loss of power other times lock trans in 2nd.
when we returned i fitted the cooler as we were heading of on a round aus trip.
towing the tvan we went accross the simpson/french line. up the old ghan to alice. kings canyon/ ayers rock, back to alice, across the gary junction road to well 33 and up the canning. over to katherine up into darwin via lichfield. back through kakadu the west again and across the gibb river road , up to cape leveque, down the wa coast, inland to karajini np and back to the coast.
at this point driving in 43 deg heat a/c on of course. further down the coast

i blew a turbo hose in canarvon. whilst being fixed i asked them to scan for over temp in the trans to which there were none. i had no loss of power any time or locking in 2nd as on the tassie trip.

we came back via kalgoolie, nullabor and western nsw

does the trans cooler work? i would have to say yes

hope this helps we were quite loaded up as you can imagine for a 6 mth trip towing and with a full length roof rack also.

cheers

steve

Last edited by sjs; 06-02-2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old 24-10-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydanrogers View Post
Is the rubber line 3/8 or 5/16? did you cut into the bottom hose as well?
10mm if that helps
Old 24-10-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Ok i think that is 5/16 spewing I got a 3/8 cooler is this going to create too much back pressure if i install this to the car?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Whatever the wallet has, the jeep takes!
Old 24-10-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Pretty sure i just that wrong, i think 10mm is 3/8 now I think i do have the right cooler. I think i might have to check now!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Whatever the wallet has, the jeep takes!
Post New Thread  Reply