XJ: TD 'Pocket Tourer' - Page 11 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-01-2008
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When you get to bunnings there is a overpass; go over that overpass (heading west) drive along and turn right at the third set of lights you come to (the first set is at bunnings) and airbagman is on your right on this road. Easy!
Old 23-01-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This morning I finished plumbing the solenoids for the airbags in. I haven't finished switches on dash but I did enough to get the idea.

The bags are plumbed so that i can pump each up individually and then throw a switch and the two are plumbed together and can be pumped up together using a third solenoid.

I pumped each up using their own solenoids and it was OK. Threw the solenoid to join both together and pump up and let down together OK.

I remember GOJEEP saying that you could force articulation using the bags plumbed together....so when one bag compresses it forces air into the other bag forcing articulation but this would be bad on the highway. Well I think that the 1/4 inch line between them does not allow this to happen well enough. In fact with the solenoid and bags connected I could notice little difference around the streets as to them plumbed seperately. I think to get the true idea I should go and force some articulation, but I suspect that bigger hose would be needed.
Old 24-01-2008
LokRinger

Liked 1,758 Times in 557 Posts

You might be right as the guys that make their cars hop etc use 1/2" line from memory. Have a look under a late model Discovery as they run that system.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 24-01-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The small line is AOK to pump up the bags and slow articulation might work but quick stuff on the roads it doesn't seam to behave as predicted. Have to check out a Landy.
Old 29-01-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am waiting on my ARB style switches to complete my Airbags/compressor install, when the gauge/switch pods are wired up I will start the 51L auxillary tank intstall.

The other day I blew my fan belt and water pump so the build up takes a detour at this stage to get this done as the jeep is a DD to some extent (my other car is a Suziki DRZ 400 dual sport, not to much fun in the rain).

I have been seriously been considering turning the air to air interoller into a water to air system. It wouldn't be too hard, I would have to get someone to weld up the intercooler so that the fins were behind plates and then pump water through that and a small radiator with fan. As you can see in the pic below the intercooler can become clogged with mud rendereing it almost useless. Stopping this would be difficult. However making the intercooler just a point of heat transfer between cool water and the heated boosted air would negate this. Cost of water to air mod would be around $500.

The one thing that has been plaguing my thoughts is the location of the intercooler and I am nervous about passing water through the intake of a diesel motor. With the intercooler placed so low and at the front a rock or stick piercing this in a creek crossing is feasible (or at any stage). Suck water in here and BANG!!!!!!!!

This make me very nervous. So I am going away from the idea and instead going to make a steal bash plate/gaurd for the intercooler and cut out the support its mounted behind and install a steel mesh and a 7 inch thermo fan in front. I see that pushing more air through the intercooler to be an advantage especially when I install a winch which will block the air flow to it.

I am still tossing up to do a thermo fan install inplace of the stock clutch fan. I can see the money better spent else where at this stage.(Like a winch!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intercooler2 (2).JPG
Views:	160
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	24075   Click image for larger version

Name:	intercooler1.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	24076  
Old 01-02-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Waiting for the water pump and trying to get the old one out at the moment. The old one is held in with 13mm bolts one which is hard to get to. I can't get the pulley off and can't get a socket in behind the pulley and standard spanners don't fit but can't turn to undo it.

My solution was to buy a set of 'crows feet' wrenches. Sidchrome don't make a metric set but kincrome do. I bought the set but got home to find I have 1/2 and 1/4 inch drive sockets and need a 3/8 for the crows feet.....back to the tool shop tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bought a nifty 3/8 drive sidchrome ratchet with adjustable angle head on it. One minute and that bolt was out using my new ratchet and crows feet....probably never use them again, $140 worth of tools for one bolt!

Last edited by indertdxj; 09-02-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply