My XJ Cherokee's...... - Page 12 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-03-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

My XJ Cherokee is having flashbacks of the flash flooding that it went through in Zetland and Alexandria a few years ago. Never in my outback travels have I put the car through such deep water above the wheel arches. Not even when I was the last car to be let through the Alice Springs roadblock to head south to the SA border in Easter 2000. (Stuart Highway was open only to trucks and 4wds).

I happened to be in Sydney on business, and pulled out of Gadigal avenue when this river rushed down Joynton Ave. I saw a JGC successfully cross the tidal wave across to the other side of Joynton Ave and onto Elizabeth Street. I followed. Fortunately my wheels stayed on the ground and the engine kept running. There was a stranded bus to the south, and a woman sitting on the roof of her car awaiting rescue. It was a surreal situation never to have seen this volume of water anywhere in my travels, except in the city. In hindsight, following the JGC into a tsunami wave was risky and I would never do it again.

While I was safely clear of the flood, there was chaos around the industrial parks near the start of the Alexandria canal. Flood waters were everywhere and I had to figure out how to find my way out.

A day later and on much higher ground, water seeped through the T bar shifter. Had all the fluids changed within the week.

I feel for anyone who has been affected by the current rain and flooding spell. Hope it ends soon without further loss and suffering.

Last edited by eksjay; 20-03-2021 at 08:34 PM.
Old 21-03-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksjay View Post
My XJ Cherokee is having flashbacks of the flash flooding that it went through in Zetland and Alexandria a few years ago. Never in my outback travels have I put the car through such deep water above the wheel arches. Not even when I was the last car to be let through the Alice Springs roadblock to head south to the SA border in Easter 2000. (Stuart Highway was open only to trucks and 4wds).

I happened to be in Sydney on business, and pulled out of Gadigal avenue when this river rushed down Joynton Ave. I saw a JGC successfully cross the tidal wave across to the other side of Joynton Ave and onto Elizabeth Street. I followed. Fortunately my wheels stayed on the ground and the engine kept running. There was a stranded bus to the south, and a woman sitting on the roof of her car awaiting rescue. It was a surreal situation never to have seen this volume of water anywhere in my travels, except in the city. In hindsight, following the JGC into a tsunami wave was risky and I would never do it again.

While I was safely clear of the flood, there was chaos around the industrial parks near the start of the Alexandria canal. Flood waters were everywhere and I had to figure out how to find my way out.

A day later and on much higher ground, water seeped through the T bar shifter. Had all the fluids changed within the week.

I feel for anyone who has been affected by the current rain and flooding spell. Hope it ends soon without further loss and suffering.
I lost my home, contents (virtually everything gone or damaged beyond repair) and three cars, Townsville 2019. Home only just getting completed from rebuild now, should be back in middle next month. The only thing we had is the TJ we escaped in. Went down several streets which were too deep before finding the only way out. Had water half way up the doors but I have a snorkel fitted and breathers all up high. Afterwards I gave it all a good clean and changed fluids. All good. My buddy two doors down got out in his Triton no worries, but two months later his auto transmission died because of water. His insurer covered it but would only approve a secondhand trans from a wrecker.
Old 22-03-2021
Full Flexer

Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishframe View Post
I lost my home, contents (virtually everything gone or damaged beyond repair) and three cars, Townsville 2019. Home only just getting completed from rebuild now, should be back in middle next month. The only thing we had is the TJ we escaped in. Went down several streets which were too deep before finding the only way out. Had water half way up the doors but I have a snorkel fitted and breathers all up high. Afterwards I gave it all a good clean and changed fluids. All good. My buddy two doors down got out in his Triton no worries, but two months later his auto transmission died because of water. His insurer covered it but would only approve a secondhand trans from a wrecker.
Sorry to hear that Fishframe. The situation is beyond words.
Old 24-03-2021
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

Well I had to make a big decision today a guy turned up at my door and asked me what I was doing with the PT Cruiser sitting up the back yard We chatted for a while and I decided to accept his offer to sell it .... The way I see it ..... It will sit there for ages before I can ever get the funds together to fix it and then I cant afford 3 rego's so I accepted his offer and the 99 should be on the road by Easter all things going to plan.
As much as I like my PT Cruiser I think I have made the right decision
Now lets drive the 99
Old 26-03-2021
AJOR Bronze

Going.....Going............GONE!
The PT went today It was only fitting that I drove in under tow to it's new home .... a fitting SwanSong The PT is going to a good home infact a GREAT HOME it is going to be restored .... Currently hanging out with a Ford XR8 Ute in one shed but we had to go down the main shed to get the tow straps and it was full of old cars that he collects lets see there were a few Austin's from the 50's one fully restored a rare Austin Convertible a FC Holden a XW Ford on a rotisserie a XW Ute a XR Ute a 1938 Desoto sedan a 1940 Ford Coupe both in original condition most needed restoring but were saved from the scrap metal vampires over the years ..... There were others that I cant remember I do remember seeing at least half a dozen Flathead Ford motors in cars and on pallets The best was a 1950's restored turn key Chev Truck California plate last rego 1989 and my favorite a 1948 Dodge Panel Van a deep maroon colour restored and ready to go a few bikes
bits and pieces I must go back with a camera
So it's off to RWC and Rego on Monday .................... Who HOooooo

I have decided to reuse my PT custom plates on the 99
as it takes months to get plates in the mail and I have them and I am sentimental I suppose ............. 13PTZ

Old 29-03-2021
AJOR Bronze

The 99 is on the road finally with 12 months rego a few little bugs to iron out the exhaust rattles on the transmission crossmember and I need a aircon low pressure switch but otherwise it's all good
Old 31-03-2021
AJOR Bronze

I ordered the Aircon Pressure Switch from rockauto today so I will have that in a few weeks I will fit that and then get a gas top up
I also ordered some floor mats off ebay ........... Now that I can drive it the rattle is driving me insane! I jacked up the cat the other dat and put a bit of old conveyer between the exhaust and the crossmember thinking it might cushion it a bit But it made it worse I am going to have a real good look over Easter Oil filter and some oil tomorrow I will get rid of the "perfectly clean oil and oil filter that is about 100 k old but 2 1/2 year old " before I go for a test run out of town I did notice the bloody transmission pan gasket is leaking again CRAP this will be the 4th gasket fitted in 4 years it has to be the idiot mechanics down the road !!
When the CarKiller owned it he got the transmission serviced and someone stripped a bolt he went back and they told him it was the front seal $$$$$ plus all the other things he had damaged So he gave it to me.
I found the stripped bolt and went down and was told by the someone! "who don't work there anymore" that the hardware sells tap and die sets "Bullshit" .. You Stripped It!...I got it fixed
Then after the Father in Law bought it off me .... after sitting in the yard for a year untouched he discovered the tranny was EMPTY!
I had a gasket on hand and I sacrificed a container of tranny fluid so we could drive it down to get a Another NEW Gasket!
It drove home and sat again for another year the tranny did not leak I kept checking the level and all seemed good
Now I have it back!........ When the fuel tank was out I pressure washed all underneath and on Monday when I was mucking around with the exhaust I discovered RED DRIPS! on the crossmember looking up it is at the front where the bolt was stripped another gasket? I am going to try and nip up the bolts give it a wipe and see what happens?
If I have to put another New Gasket in I will do it Myself and have a real good look at the pan I want to see if the flange area is level?
The shake down cruises begin .........
Funny though I do prefer the 96
Post New Thread  Reply