Suspension Stuff coils actual lift height - Page 12 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2013
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 67 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Looks great BT, how was the ride after, much different to what you had?

Hey Piglet, I didn't realise you were in Brisvegas! A CRD JKU with all the weight you have in it would ride very nicely on these springs. Its almost as though they need a lighter version for the 2 door petrol. Even with the front and rear bars and a winch I would have to be 600 to 700 kilo lighter than yours at least. No wonder they bounce around!
Yep all good Dave going to get under her today ( the jeep that is ) and have a good look and check the ds angles and stuff
I kept the aev control arm brackets the same as the 2.5" lift
Ordered the rear swaybar links to suit

2013 commando green JKU
Formally Commando Thunder
" Live everyday like its your last "
Old 11-01-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet View Post
I took my 08 CRD 4 door to Shane & the guys at SUSPENSION STUFF yesterday.
I drove in & Shane asked me what I was wanting as far as height go's, I said basically 2" taller than the car stood as it sat there. Shane then asked me all the questions re:- what the car had loaded in it as a permanent weight Ie black widow draws loaded with about 80kg of stuff, fridge slide & loaded fridge (on the drivers side) AEV rear bar with water tanks & swing out wheel carrier & 35inch tyre (on the drivers side), steel side rock sliders,steel under body protection,metal fat boy blares, steel bullbar, winch, & roof rack with at-least 100kg of weight with everything up there going on next week. He trialed a few different styles of coil & then settled on a progressively rated set of coils that is slightly different on the drivers side due to all the extra weight on that side (yes ive got heavy bones) & fule tank.
I turned up to pick it up & "WOW" she is sitting exactly where I had hoped it would, we took it for a test ride, & the ride was so much better. As usual with suspension I had expected some sort of minor steering wobble or atleast to have her pull from one side to the other chasing the road, BUT NOTHING she just drove true. All I can say that if you are after suspension for your jeep, & NO-MATTER WHAT HEIGHT go & see the guys at SUSPENSION STUFF they are on Moss st Slacks Creek Bris sth next to the camping shop.
I will get pics posted soon.
cheers piggy.
Piglet, I have spoken to Shane many times over the phone and he has outright stated that he can't help me.

I have a lighty loaded 2 door, not a heavily laden 4 door. In fact most of the time I don't even have the back seat in, let alone the hard top.

They have admitted they don't make spring short enough for what I need and have offered to refund my money.

In any case I have decided to keep the springs for a future upgrade to 35's (after re-gearing) up till then I will run the Teraflex kit which is cheap and cheerful.

Flame Red MY08 SWB CRD
AEV front bumper + Warn 9.5
Custom Rear Bumper
BFG KM2 on Rubicon Moabs

Last edited by Zander; 11-01-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-01-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

zander - speak to Yom. He had a 2 door CRD with SS coils and had pretty close to a 2" lift. I have a 4 door CRD with SS coils and have about a 55-60mm lift, my measurements are about 825mm or 590mm depending on how you want to measure. Yoms was slightly shorter than mine with a 2 door, his was about 810mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander View Post
Piglet, I have spoken to Shane many times over the phone and he has outright stated that he can't help me.

I have a lighty loaded 2 door, not a heavily laden 4 door. In fact most of the time I don't even have the back seat in, let alone the hard top.

They have admitted they don't make spring short enough for what I need and have offered to refund my money.

In any case I have decided to keep the springs for a future upgrade to 35's (after re-gearing) up till then I will run the Teraflex kit which is cheap and cheerful.
Old 11-01-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktom View Post
zander - speak to Yom. He had a 2 door CRD with SS coils and had pretty close to a 2" lift. I have a 4 door CRD with SS coils and have about a 55-60mm lift, my measurements are about 825mm or 590mm depending on how you want to measure. Yoms was slightly shorter than mine with a 2 door, his was about 810mm.
Tom, I was after a lift which gave me about 550mm front and rear which would have been about 1 inch above stock in the rear (assuming the stock height is 530mm) and 2 inches above stock in the front (assuming stock height is about 500mm).

On the shortest coils that Shane has I would get about 585mm front and 600mm rear.

Flame Red MY08 SWB CRD
Custom Rear Bumper
BFG KM2 on Rubicon Moabs

Last edited by Zander; 11-01-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-01-2013
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Your story is now adding up with a bit more information added!

It sounds like some of the early coils I tried out which gave me a 40 to 50mm lift with nose down factory-like rake are no longer available. One way to get less height from these coils is literally to cut a few of the skinny winds off but this is at the expense of less length and hence articulation before the coil unseats...which is against the idea of these coils to begin with.

But you are basically stuffed with aftermarket coils because you have a 2 door with a difficult weight problem (CRD) and you only want a 1" lift in the rear over what you have now. The only way you can achieve that is with spacers...until Suspension stuff has a bigger market of people like you wanting mild lifts with quality coils.
Old 11-01-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
Your story is now adding up with a bit more information added!

It sounds like some of the early coils I tried out which gave me a 40 to 50mm lift with nose down factory-like rake are no longer available. One way to get less height from these coils is literally to cut a few of the skinny winds off but this is at the expense of less length and hence articulation before the coil unseats...which is against the idea of these coils to begin with.

But you are basically stuffed with aftermarket coils because you have a 2 door with a difficult weight problem (CRD) and you only want a 1" lift in the rear over what you have now. The only way you can achieve that is with spacers...until Suspension stuff has a bigger market of people like you wanting mild lifts with quality coils.
Thanks for clearing that up Yom!

SS have been saying that they can customise a lift to your specifications but they clearly have some limitations. It was disappointing to go on their website and see 0", 1" and 2" lifts advertised and then discover that they're not available.

I think they must of done some market research which suggested that those early coils of yours were not long enough.

I'm keen to try out the Teraflex leveling kit, it will give me the height I want without using spacers (or minimum amount of spacers).

Flame Red MY08 SWB CRD
Custom Rear Bumper
BFG KM2 on Rubicon Moabs

Last edited by Zander; 11-01-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-01-2013
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

What I tested were long enough to stay captive with the average 3 to 4" lift shocks (27") but the issue is with a short lift and long travel shocks is you end up with no uptravel which i simply wasn't satisfied with. JK's axle housings are NOT strong enough to be constantly hitting the bumpstops at high speed.

Last edited by Yom; 11-01-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply