Camper Trailers and Touring - Page 12 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Camping suggestions
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-06-2007
Yeah I bought another one

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 93 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

and3698, that is an awsome looking little set up, My plan was very similar, using an ex army 'Jeep" trailer as the basis, but mounting the tent higher and having more space below the tent, IE, setting up somethig like a deck on a timber rack so that the tent sits just below roof height when folded down.
if you have more detailed pics I'd love to see em.

touring@hitproductions.com.au
1x Jeep trailers.
1x Empty Wallet.
Old 28-06-2007
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Killa & Gildo,

Will post a few more pics on the weekend.

Gildo - yes if you can get hold of a 5 x 3 with high sides, that would be even better!
Old 28-06-2007
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Well I have also been searching (taking easy option) for an off road camper trailer to compliment our caravan (caravan for easy stuff trailer for the rougher stuff) and have given up either the quality is crap, you need an extension ladder to get into bed, Trailer is not suitable, tent is a cheap import unit, the companies want more for a camper than for a 18 ft Jayco Heritage caravan, so have givenup in disgust, and have bitten the bullet.
Trailer 7 * 4 is being custom built (power trailers Maryborough vic) with electric brakes, manual hand brake, Tregg Hitch, hubbs to match Jeep wheels and capable of taking 31*10.5*15 wheels, 14 inch high sides, Extra height is so that a false floor can be fitted so that water tank (60 ltr) and two (2) 50 litre fuel tanks can reside under false floor, sealed and vented externally, fully welded seams.
Tent i shall make myself so that I know I am getting best quality Bradmill coredux canvas, flyscreens and Ykk No. 10 chunky tooth zips. (bloody handy being a fully qualified sail maker)
Bed will be a 7 * 4 ft inner spring matress fitting into a frame that will be mounted to trailer body and gas strut assisted when opening, all access points shall be water and dust proof.
Total cost will run out to approx $2.500.00+ rego
beats the hell out of between $12000.00 (very basic) to 35,000.00 (for the Top of the range models)
Old 28-06-2007
Greying Nomad

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Bed will be a 7 * 4 ft inner spring matress fitting into a frame that will be mounted to trailer body and gas strut assisted when opening,
Two people sleeping on a 4' wide mattress had better not want any room to themselves! If you can put a 7' x 5' on top of your 7x4 trailer then I recommend you do so - nothing ruins a trip more than uncomfortable sleeping arrangements.
Old 28-06-2007
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Talking

[Two people sleeping on a 4' wide mattress had better not want any room to themselves! If you can put a 7' x 5' on top of your 7x4 trailer then I recommend you do so - nothing ruins a trip more than uncomfortable sleeping arrangements]

You are right that should have read 7 *5 ft mattress rather than 7 * 4 ft mattress
Old 28-06-2007
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Well I have also been searching (taking easy option) for an off road camper trailer to compliment our caravan (caravan for easy stuff trailer for the rougher stuff) and have given up either the quality is crap, you need an extension ladder to get into bed, Trailer is not suitable, tent is a cheap import unit, the companies want more for a camper than for a 18 ft Jayco Heritage caravan, so have givenup in disgust, and have bitten the bullet.
Trailer 7 * 4 is being custom built (power trailers Maryborough vic) with electric brakes, manual hand brake, Tregg Hitch, hubbs to match Jeep wheels and capable of taking 31*10.5*15 wheels, 14 inch high sides, Extra height is so that a false floor can be fitted so that water tank (60 ltr) and two (2) 50 litre fuel tanks can reside under false floor, sealed and vented externally, fully welded seams.
Tent i shall make myself so that I know I am getting best quality Bradmill coredux canvas, flyscreens and Ykk No. 10 chunky tooth zips. (bloody handy being a fully qualified sail maker)
Bed will be a 7 * 4 ft inner spring matress fitting into a frame that will be mounted to trailer body and gas strut assisted when opening, all access points shall be water and dust proof.
beats the hell out of between $12000.00 (very basic) to 35,000.00 (for the Top of the range models)

Grant, sounds great especially at the price.
How do you plan to get the fuel from your trailer to your car and what are you doing for a Kitchen? Who is making the fuel tanks for you?

Chris.
Old 28-06-2007
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Grant very interested in your trailer i had budgeted about 3 grand for my set up buying one of those import tent tops and grand for trailer , im a boilermaker and dont think i could build one much cheeper by time you pay for axels , lights ,tyres, hitches ,brakes ,paint ,steel, not to mention time i know you can buy cheeper trailers but they are just that .i just want solid trailer with high sides i will build other stuff like kitchen , holders for gas petrol ,water ect
Post New Thread  Reply