What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views - Page 1238 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-09-2012
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 821 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustbowl View Post
That's hardly a small job

What happened?

its really not that bad to be honest.

all because of stupid o-rings
Old 24-09-2012
RubiconSlammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
How come it didnt just jump out when you wistled ? Its been out that many times now it should be able to get out by its self !!

For your O ring being too thin; you could get plastic shim material & cut out a washer of it. Maybe use Hylomar sealer on it as well. I think it lasts longer than RTV.

Just so yours doesnt feel lonely, I will be starting to pull mine out tomorrow arvo to do the RMS.
How hard is it to push down & rotate that spring thing that holds the gear leaver in?
just hope the o-ring in the back of the fly wheel is still in existance, might be perished as well. the old one out of the white one is in pretty bad shape.

its quite easy to get the shifter out, if your on the passanger side of the car it goes anti clock wise, you might also need to replace the rubber bush in there as well. mine was in fair condition still.
you dont need to remove the gear knob, the gear boot will fit through the hole in the console.

it was a lot easier today had the box out in an 40 mins.

i need to do the green one before 20th oct as it wont pass rego. at least i dont need to jack it up.

the starter can stay in even when you remove the backing plate

good luck with it.
if have any issues or question send me a text.
Old 25-09-2012
Tim Tam

Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts

Got new tyres fitted today. 30" cooper st's. now to find a track and test them. 31" kuhmo's all terains now for sale at jambo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25-09-2012
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,589 Times in 4,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudmonster View Post
just hope the o-ring in the back of the fly wheel is still in existance, might be perished as well. the old one out of the white one is in pretty bad shape.

its quite easy to get the shifter out, if your on the passanger side of the car it goes anti clock wise, you might also need to replace the rubber bush in there as well. mine was in fair condition still.
you dont need to remove the gear knob, the gear boot will fit through the hole in the console.

it was a lot easier today had the box out in an 40 mins.

i need to do the green one before 20th oct as it wont pass rego. at least i dont need to jack it up.

the starter can stay in even when you remove the backing plate

good luck with it.
if have any issues or question send me a text.
thanks MM.
Its sitting ready to be dropped out now. 2 hrs & all thats left to do is the top 2 bolts & the CPS. The gear leaver was easy, 2 bolts with nuts & it comes off.
Have my fingers crossed that the clutch plate still has plenty of meat on it.
My biggest regret is I didnt clean the underside before I started. probably will give it a clean before it all goes back.
Old 26-09-2012
Senior Newbie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negdriver View Post
Got new tyres fitted today. 30" cooper st's. now to find a track and test them. 31" kuhmo's all terains now for sale at jambo.
Hey they are good tyres them :P

Got the exhaust checked over after fitting the extractors and then sent it to the mechanics to get the brakes looked at...

So fingers crossed, should be all good to rock n roll tomorrow morning...
Old 26-09-2012
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,589 Times in 4,361 Posts

Quote:
Have my fingers crossed that the clutch plate still has plenty of meat on it.
Well the clutch plate was not that good.
So spent the arvo trying to track down a plate. No luck. Ended up getting a complete kit. The cheapest was a genuine SACHS same as what was in it. May get a chance to continue tomorrow arvo.
Need to get flywheel off to access RMS next & then start putting it all back together.
Old 26-09-2012
RubiconSlammer

Quote:
Well the clutch plate was not that good.
So spent the arvo trying to track down a plate. No luck. Ended up getting a complete kit. The cheapest was a genuine SACHS same as what was in it. May get a chance to continue tomorrow arvo.
Need to get flywheel off to access RMS next & then start putting it all back together.
i started putting mine back together today, got the gearbox in and got over it ill do the rest tomorrow. maybe??