Suspension Stuff coils actual lift height - Page 13 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2013
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 67 Times in 40 Posts

Took some pics of the driveshafts, what do you guys reckon
I am hoping I will be ok for awhile
The other thing the rear coils I noticed have a slight bow out to the rear, like a bannana shape, its not huge but is that normal never noticed it before on the other coils
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130111_102142.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	59179   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130111_102020.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	59180   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130111_101937.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	59181  

2013 commando green JKU
Formally Commando Thunder
" Live everyday like its your last "
Old 11-01-2013
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black thunder View Post
Took some pics of the driveshafts, what do you guys reckon
I am hoping I will be ok for awhile
The other thing the rear coils I noticed have a slight bow out to the rear, like a bannana shape, its not huge but is that normal never noticed it before on the other coils
Not sure about the rear drive shaft on a 2dr as I have a 4dr but you might have issues with the front shaft on a 3.5" lift. Making sure your running the correct caster angles (around 4.5˚ I think) will help but you might still have problems with the CV joint not having enough range of motion when the axle drops completely. Probably worth getting on some stands and having a look at what happens under full droop (both wheels down) and under flex to see if anything is catching anywhere in the suspension and see what the drive shafts do.

As for the rear spring bowing, I've see the same thing on my front springs as I've played with different settings. It'll likely be because (I'm guessing here) you've got a relatively big lift and are still running stock control arms. That'll change the angle of the spring seat and allow/force the spring to bow out. If you want to stop it I'd guess you'll need adjustable arms so that can you bring the spring seat to a more horizontal position. That'll also re-centre the wheels in the wheel wells as well because with the increased lift and the standard arms you will have effectively pulled the wheels further forward. This might even give you issues of the diff hitting the fuel tank as the axle flexes/drops and swings across due to the track bar so it's probably worth checking that out on the stands as well.

I do love my SS springs as the ride is so much better than stock but I'm slowly finding out that fitting them is the easy bit. Tweaking the set up afterwards to stop things hitting other things with the increased range of motion you get is definitely a far longer process, though that would be the case for any lift, not just the SS.
Old 11-01-2013
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 67 Times in 40 Posts

I have the aev drop brackets which are set at the 2.5 setting still the alignment guy said the castor was at 5.7 he thought maybe he meant 4.7 he didnt do a rear out for me even tho I asked
I might need to adjust them to the next hole on the braket
Gave her a tub this morning so here she is all cleaned
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130111_120105.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	59187   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130111_130650.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	59188  

2013 commando green JKU
Formally Commando Thunder
" Live everyday like its your last "
Old 11-01-2013
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

I don't think mine's been that clean since I drop it out the the showroom.

Yeh, at that height I think you'll need to adjust the position on the AEV brackets and I'd definitely get it on the stands and check the drive shaft angles as well.
Old 11-01-2013
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

road driving they'll last fine its just at droop which will stress them with the 27" extended shocks. being relatively new and undamaged at the moment means they will probably last you for a fair while yet before you need to be concerned. Just keep an eye on them, when you see grease coming from them (or the rubber broken) that's when you know you're up for some $$$.

the rear spring bow. you have a few options. Coil wedges on the axle to restore a flat coil seat. Cut the original coil seats off and reweld so they're straight or buy adjustable coil seats (hunty did this particular modification).

Or you can rotate the coils to minimise the bow. This is sometimes called "indexing" the coils. They way they're winding is rarely completely flat so simply spinning may position them to have less of an outward bow.

Last edited by Yom; 11-01-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-01-2013
asp_777
Visitor

Interesting comments so far.
I ordered a 3" springs from SS in September 12 for 2012 4 door petrol and they are a great product.

After 4 months the front is sitting at 3" (dropped .6 after winch and bar added & time)and the rear is just shy of 4" (Not changed) . Very happy with the ride and look.

Highly recommend SS, coupled with Bilsteins and other "proper" bits and pieces she runs well. My caster is set 6.5 on left and right has 7 degrees. Some may say this is too much but after 4 months and a recent alignment where the aligner agreed it's spot on- I'm a happy JK owner.

I'm a bit confused about people fretting about lift differences of 1/2" hear and there. 1/2" is nothing! Just 2 pax sitting in it will lower it 1/2" in height!
Old 11-01-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

That's a good point actually - if I stand on my tow bar the back drops well over 1/2 in (and the front lifts about 1/4in)

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Post New Thread  Reply