WK2: BMackin Build & Adventure - Page 14 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

Bmackin, you said that with the tyres on you tested them on all suspension heights, so obviously in park mode theres no issues as well?
Old 06-06-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayezy View Post
Bmackin, you said that with the tyres on you tested them on all suspension heights, so obviously in park mode theres no issues as well?
That's right, park mode is fine.
Old 06-06-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default BMackin WK2 Build & Adventure

Hey how did you go with the roof rack set up and your wheeling? I am looking at getting rails and the mesh tray, but I have always liked the pioneer setup and the ability to add to it. Mounting it directly to the roof via the rail mounts makes sense. Just wanted to know how it worked for you. I have also looked into the rear trailer mount spare, but can't recall what I have found. What most people complain about is twisting when wheeling. Most people opt for a custom bumper setup or a trailer mount setup for the stability. I want to get my tire out so I can make room for my recovery gear and tools.
Old 06-06-2013
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbflash View Post
Hey how did you go with the roof rack set up and your wheeling? I am looking at getting rails and the mesh tray, but I have always liked the pioneer setup and the ability to add to it. Mounting it directly to the roof via the rail mounts makes sense. Just wanted to know how it worked for you. I have also looked into the rear trailer mount spare, but can't recall what I have found. What most people complain about is twisting when wheeling. Most people opt for a custom bumper setup or a trailer mount setup for the stability. I want to get my tire out so I can make room for my recovery gear and tools.
Valpacer I'm pretty sure mounted a flat rack of some sort directly to the roof mounts on his WH, have a dig round for his build threads.

Also a guy in the States has a build showing doing it to his WJ. Somewhere in this thread http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5
Old 06-06-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great photos of a great trip .. Did i see correct that your photos have ben taken 'just' with your iphone? I expected more a semi-pro type camera ...
Old 07-06-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbflash View Post
The Pioneer Tray has been working great off-road! During our first weekend trip to Land Cruiser Mountain Park, I was surprised it barely made a noise. After 10 days down in Coffs Harbour it did start to develop a few squeaks when off-road, but nothing more than you'd expect. I recommend checking all of the fasteners after a short trip. Mine needed a bit of tightening after our weekend trip. I checked it again after the Coffs trip and everything was great.

The Pioneer Tray was super easy to use during our trips. The side rails were handy, and the spare tire mounting bracket worked great. I never had even the slightest problem with it up there. I also picked up a gas bottle mounting bracket. It worked great, but I did notice it only fits the 4kg gas bottles, (requiring a trip to the store to exchange my 3kg gas bottle). The Rhino Rack luggage bag worked a treat and has a great sealing system. I had no problems with water or dust getting inside, even after a heavy rain storm on the highway and 10 days of dusty off-roading.

I also looked at the mesh basket, but in the end I went with the Pioneer Tray because it had better WAF. It was a bit more difficult to install, but I have to agree it looks pretty good. +1 for the wife.

I did look at the trailer mount spares, (there weren't many options) but in the end I figured I hopefully wouldn't be using it too often, so it was easier to throw it up top. I didn't like the idea of making it more difficult to get to the rear tailgate which I open/close all the time.

I am working with a fabricator to create a replacement steel rear bumper. The plastic one tends to catch on things when off-road. The steel one should add some needed protection, increase the departure angle and may even incorporate the trailer hitch, allowing me to remove the one I have.
Old 07-06-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthpete View Post
Great photos of a great trip .. Did i see correct that your photos have ben taken 'just' with your iphone? I expected more a semi-pro type camera ...
Thanks we had a great time on the trip! It's amazing how good the iPhone cameras are nowadays, and so much handier to use. I did consider getting a film crew with the latest Sony 3D movie cameras to follow us around, but the wife didn't like feeding the crew at supper time.