Civilian Owned Firearms, what do we think? - Page 14 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-09-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat756 View Post
yeah, the definitions are ridiculous. i actually own a remington 7615. fires the same cartridge as an AR15 (the full auto version is the M16), pump action so i can still fire it fast, i can even legally own a 30 round magazine (however customs will stop me importing replacement magazines, dont get me started on that) for it here in SA (it actually takes AR15 magazines), but if i want a 4 round pump shotgun im not allowed...... the rifle has a significantly longer range than any shotgun too....

im looking into getting a lever shotgun as well, much better for spotlighting on my mates farm (im a city boy, but have access to shooting ferals on farms in the mallee) more rounds the better, its not easy to hit a moving target while standing on the tray of a moving ute. i need the extra shots
That is EXACTLY the reason I got mine, and I love it! We stopped near a dam while my mate (the driver) had a smoke so I wandered around the dam near some trees and 5 shots later I walked back with three rabbits. Can't do that with a double barrel! Not to mention it's by far the most fun gun I have. As long as you find some ammo that works you'll be happy!

And yeah I know about the magazine importing thing, it's like with knives too. I have a flick knife that can be opened using the flick test and has a thumb stud, bought here legally but it is illegal to be imported. Go figure!
Old 29-09-2013
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,584 Times in 4,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aido_3927 View Post
That is EXACTLY the reason I got mine, and I love it! We stopped near a dam while my mate (the driver) had a smoke so I wandered around the dam near some trees and 5 shots later I walked back with three rabbits. Can't do that with a double barrel! Not to mention it's by far the most fun gun I have. As long as you find some ammo that works you'll be happy!

And yeah I know about the magazine importing thing, it's like with knives too. I have a flick knife that can be opened using the flick test and has a thumb stud, bought here legally but it is illegal to be imported. Go figure!
I hope you asked permission from the land owner before you went shooting on his property!!
Too often people think that because they have a shooters license they can shoot any where they like. The cattle &/or sheep near the dam dont like the gun going off.
Old 29-09-2013
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
I hope you asked permission from the land owner before you went shooting on his property!!
Too often people think that because they have a shooters license they can shoot any where they like. The cattle &/or sheep near the dam dont like the gun going off.
You're kidding?! How could anyone be led to think that? I feel that anyone who goes illegally hunting like that would damn well know they're doing something wrong, surely?

But yes, we have permission for the property and in addition to that we ring and make sure with the property owner that we are allowed to go out each individual time just to make sure.

The people who illegally hunt on peoples property are the ones that give the rest of us a bad name and make the sport harder to enjoy.
Old 29-09-2013
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,584 Times in 4,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aido_3927 View Post
You're kidding?! How could anyone be led to think that? I feel that anyone who goes illegally hunting like that would damn well know they're doing something wrong, surely?

But yes, we have permission for the property and in addition to that we ring and make sure with the property owner that we are allowed to go out each individual time just to make sure.

The people who illegally hunt on peoples property are the ones that give the rest of us a bad name and make the sport harder to enjoy.
I kid you not. Every duck opening I have shooters come in without asking. Had a dog of mine shot because he jumped in my dam & retrieved a duck. Its a good way to have a 30-30 barrel put up your nose.
Old 29-09-2013
Established Member

Jesus, sorry to hear that mate, that's awful. Did the offender/s receive any kind of legal punishment or anything?
Old 29-09-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 186 Times in 124 Posts

The offshot to this is that generally most statistics on gun crime are based on US figures and then forced onto Australia as an argument for tighter firearm controls when the argument for them is flawed in the first place by not using localised information - pretty sure that it has happened in this thread also, just cbf going back to find the post/s

Just to clarify, my firearms are for hunting & not for self defence - if I happen to be cleaning one of my firearms and an intruder decides to ruin my morning/day/evening, I'll use the most appropriate object at hand to defend my life and my property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
Well said Carves, I've been around weapons all my life and really sprouting the Yank quotes of liberty just makes me laugh, nobody seems to quote the UK's right to bear arms and they have gun laws similar to ours.
Why anyone would need an AR15, AK47 or any sort of assault rifle in civvy street beggars belief or for that matter carrying a pistol to go shopping.

Need one to defend your property against intruders, BS......if you have had to draw a weapon against someone, I assure you it's not like on TV, it doesn't do you a lot of good.
Better off move to somewhere nice.
I'm licenced and while it's a pain to go thru, it may stop some nutter.
Old 29-09-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 186 Times in 124 Posts

Ah great.. A die hard bowhunter... Here we go

:P !!! (just joking!!!)

I respect the skills and dedication of the bowhunting fraternity, as you need to creep much closer to critters before letting go than I would so before I go any further, I'm saying this with utmost respect for yourself and dedication. And I have never shot at anything bigger than a fox as my form of hunting would be considered pest control (ie - just going after foxes, rabbits & cats) If I were to go after deer, I would most likely ask for a guide/mentor to go with me so that I don't have to revert to using a .308 at 4-500m (though, long range hunting has its own inherent skills and rewards - but lets not go there as this is not a hunting forum heh!)

As you've said, the bow "predate written history and have for the last 200 years been used solely for hunting." In response - yes, yes it does outdate written history and has not been utilised publicly as a weapon of warfare since the inception of the firearm, but it still doesn't change the fact that the bow and arrow was designed to kill. Whether the four legged animal variety or the two-legged animal variety, it is still a tool to kill (as just like the boomerang and the *many* other hand launched projectiles that have been used over time)

I do appreciate the facts & figures that you have presented, but I still come back to the fact that a bow always was and still is a weapon to be considered the same as a firearm ie - its sole purpose and function in its existence is to enable the user to kill in a more efficient manner. As far as I'm concered, there are no ifs, buts, ors, and maybes with this, no amount of information can segregate one from the other regardless of lethality threshholds and useability.

All of this ultimately comes down to the erosion of personal freedoms by ours and other Governments. In the case of firearms, it becomes very tricky, where, when one looks at the US system, (supposedly) a firearm is very easy to acquire, even if trouble with the law has occurred in the past (happy to be corrected on this) & minimal safe storage requirements. Compared to Australia, behind the scenes background checks (pretty sure that one has to agree to a Police background check prior to the issuing of a firearms license) and fairly stringent safe storage requirements combined with police inspections to ensure safe storage requirements are being met.

Should bows be in this class? Would you be happy to bolt a complying safe the the floor & wall of your house?

There are reports around where firearms safe's (legally complying ones at that) have been ripped out of the walls & floor of owners houses (this leads us to the much denied (by the Police) yet, increasingly obvious of the breaches of the national firearms database - yes this has happened - and yes the information was passed onto career crims)

Following that, why on earth would it make sense to screw the population down more, when the Government can't even 100% guarantee that Customs are actually able to do their job with regards to scanning of incoming shipments for illegal firearms - all of this talk of more restrictions is ludicrous - it does nothing to solve the problem in the first place - it's the equivalent of a Gypsy telling you to look to your right when they steal your wallet out of your left hand pocket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GariJ View Post
Whitemeat I am more than happy to field any question that’s what makes this a healthy debate and an excellent thread. As I am sure you and most of the hunting community are aware I went through nothing to purchase the bow. I even had it shipped by Fed Ex and Australia post from overseas with its ammunition. In fact the only issue with its import was the wood it was made from lol.

I most certainly agree with you to a point, the bow is a weapon. And I mean that in the strictest sense of the word. By its design it was created to inflict damage. The point at which I disagree with you is the “considered a “weapon” just like a firearm” statement. There is a vast contrast between bows and guns and to a lesser extent bows and crossbows with respect to their lethality.

This is largely a function of projectile velocity I think the highest poundcrossbows fire a quarrel at about 600fps while big draw weight compound bows are around the 450fps mark. Some major league baseball players can pitch at 150fps that would be equivalent to say a 45lbs bow. The average bows used for deer are about 200 fps so you can see they really aren’t similar to guns in that respect. I think the average .308 rifle fires a round at about 2800fps so not really the same thing.

I also believe that’s bows are so culturally accepted and thus un regulated because they predate written history and have for the last 200 years been used solely for hunting.

When hunting deer I have to get within 10m to ensure a kill 15m to wound and chase. And this is hunting with an 80lbs recurve. With the 110lbs longbow I might be able to get the same animal from maybe 25-30m. What could you shoot the same deer at? 400-500m? So again the lethality is very different. Regarding rates of fire I reckon I could get off maybe three well aimed arrows at a 50m target in a minute. Maybe 8-10 with zero accuracy with either bow before my shoulder and arms are done for the next few minutes.

Anyone can pick up your rifle even a child and fire it increasing its lethality. If and child could draw either of my bows I would awe struck. I’m impressed when a full grown man can draw either of them.

Cross bows are regulated because they are concealable and store their energy in a similar way to a gun. Thus a gun and cross bow can be discharged unintentionally a bow obviously needs to be drawn and released by the user. This combined with its low lethality and cultural acceptance make them unrestricted in my opinion although I’m sure most of you will disagree.

Yes they are dangerous but by comparison they aren’t really in the same ball park.

Having said all that I do believe compound bows should have some form of regulation due to their increased lethality. And I also believe that cross bows should be regulated just like low powered firearms. But the last thing I want is to turn this into a guns vs bows debate. I’m more than happy for people to use guns for sport as long as it’s strictly regulated. I don’t because for me the health benefits of owning a firearm don’t out way the health risks.