Discussion: Ultimate buggy - Page 14 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-04-2006
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default .

Ben

My rig has been built on a tight budget, that is why I have used toyota (cheap) axle parts. The entire rig is by no means exactly what I want, but it has given me a start and something to drive.

I would definatelly like rear steer and stronger parts and I may upgrade to this later in the year if money permits. The ideal axle setup I would like will cost me about the same as the entire rig has cost me

even with the rig the way it is now it can still drive stuff that will blow your mind and it has proven to out drive other top rigs on some courses. But I do think to be truly competitive and to consitantly be at the top you really need bulletproof gear and possibly rear steer

I will use this rig as a steping stone to hopefully build exactly what I want over the next 12 months, but no matter what you drive its all good as long as you can get out there
Old 21-04-2006
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep I definately can't afford beefier than GQ or GU for the diffs at the moment, so I might just do what Cal's done and build a base, compete in it for the first year, then if I need to replace the diffs down the line do that.

I was reading the rules last night and noticed you get a 10 point penalty for using rear steer anyway

http://maddog.zook.org
Old 21-04-2006
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzz
Mogs will work as well if you can find two steering axles.
But they will break depending on tyre size and levels of abuse.

cheers

z
dosent everthing??

Mogs are up there in strenght with a fully built D60, that info is coming from people that actual run the gear.

If your keen on rear steer u could always build it with a 60 in the rear then add all the steering gear when u have the cash, that way u wont loose money on gears and lockers and have someone re truss and mount a new housing??

There is a big weight tread on pirate and some of the full width d60 weigh more than the 404 mogs, only by about 10lb i think it was though

I did heaps or reading over on pirate about D60s and mogs. U can spend $20k on a d60 or 3k on a mog, both have caused many threads of which is stronger.
Old 21-04-2006
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzz
Whoa - 360kg for what?

The v6 motor itself is only around 140-145kg.
An LS1 is about 180-190kg

It will be interesting to see if the cheezy moon buggy (aka rodent) holds up under competition pressure.

cheers

z
Yer that was for the engine and trany combo from outers i think?? but the info from pirate (pirate is your friend) the V6 weighs 170kg and the LS1 weighs 173kg.

So either someone is full of shite of the tranny is one heavy mofo.

As for the rodent, i think there are alot of people watching and waiting.
Old 21-04-2006
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

t700 auto weighs 70kg, gm3.8 weighs 167kg with all accesories. they're not too bad, would be nice to have about 30kg less in the motor.

the d60 vs unimog strength debate will never end.
personally, i think the mog stuff spanks standard d60 stuff by a huge margin. but when you are talking rockcrusher or equivalent aftermarket stuff, it is obviously going to have the edge. you are then comparing brand new aftermarket parts with 40 year old axles of unknown history. imagine how bad some of the 404's were treated in 20-30 years of millitary life. they're the axles you're now buying and hoping they'll hold up. but they are strong. i can get a tyre bound up, into an undercut or whatever, hard enough with both lockers in that none of the tyres will turn at full throttle. the auto gets real hot real quick doing that, but the axles love it. try doing that with your dana 30 or 44 ROFL. anyone is welcome to try and break my mog stuff if you have any doubts.

if you have plenty of cash you'd be insane not to use the rockcrusher (or equivalent) stuff, but for cheap strength with the possibility of rear steer, the mog stuff is hard to beat.
Old 21-04-2006
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Mogs V's D60's is no contest IMHO.....(naturally I prefer the mogs)...Volvo however are also a great option.....not as wide & heavy as the mogs....I've seen a few out there fairly cheaper - just gotta hunt (although spares could be an issue).....
Old 21-04-2006
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No doubt the mog stuff is the strongest you can get for reasonable money, so bang for buck you definately can't beat it.

My original plan was for mog diffs, but you guys kinda talked me out of them, so I was undecided on diffs till I saw Cal's buggy on 60 diffs and thought GQs would do the job.

From what was originally said, putting mog diffs under a small buggy would be too hard, and you'd end up with a high COG. Carlton, your buggy seems to go anywhere, but I would it also be competetive in a WE Rock environment? Possibly, I'm no expert. I will hardly be doing any social wheeling in my buggy, so I'm aiming for something that's geared for competition. So with that in mind I crossed mogs off the list. Is everyone now saying mog diffs would be good in a budget WE rock style buggy? Price wise, they're probably not much more expensive than built up GQ or GU diffs. It's just the ease of application and suitability of application.

http://maddog.zook.org
Post New Thread  Reply