Coolant leak - Page 15 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2021
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

Wow, that's some high egt's!
I watch mine through the Torque app and can see when the soot cooker is running as the fuel consumption goes up and the egt's hit the 600 mark, once finished they go back down to 2 or 300 or thereabouts and my 5spd barely hits 80
Old 13-09-2021
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,971 Times in 2,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
Wow, my 5spd barely hits 80
Is that because your legs too short to reach the peddle ?????

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 13-09-2021
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
Is that because your legs too short to reach the peddle ?????
Hmmmm,
Old 13-09-2021
Full Flexer

Liked 573 Times in 294 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Interesting as I have had mine from new, up to 40,000 k’s my 5 speed Tran temp would be around 68-70 deg. Then gearbox started to play up and dealer did an oil and filter service as was just in warranty. As soon as I got it back the temps went straight to 80 deg and ran hotter when towing. Not sure if they used Mopar atf or Castrol as dealer service manager loved Castrol

They may have adjusted the thermostat in the line to open later as 5 speeds were failing everywhere at that time and maybe they thought they were running to cold

I still remember the price $700 just for the service on the box

Bob
Old 13-09-2021
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farwest View Post
Havent done any towing Bob...but this one runs round your early quoted figures even with extended periods of 'a touch over the recommended road capacity'(if u get my meaning???...and we aint talking weight)... $700 would be a 'ball park' dealership simple service...and it was/is probs Castrol as this is most Dealerships...disrespective of brand...go to product...will be getting a full tranny service at an Auto shop or the suggested Mechanic in next time Im in Adelaide...will send you the cost..either here or PM
Old mate at a reputable tranny place here in North eastern Adelaide quoted me 480 bills for a tranny service, that's to drop the pan, change filter and fill her back up. For that price I'm willing to have a crack at it myself, end up with trans fluid all over my arms, face and driveway and have plenty of spare money left over to spend at Dr Dan's!
Old 14-09-2021
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,971 Times in 2,343 Posts

My old 5 speeder had the dip tube in place just a plastic cap on top, I made a dip stick and then marked the full point, then DiY my tranny, later bought a dip stick off Ebay but still had to find the mark...Only ever did dump and filter, thought changing it every 40K its getting a good change and when the tranny got the electric plug replaced the fella reckoned the box was clean like new (since the $29 plug screwed into a squillion $$ board I shied away from doing it).......
Thought about a drain plug but never did as it would have required me to do it at service time and just no time... Having walk under ramps helped a lot but I used a large plastic garbage binm lid as my oil tray, slowly undid the pan bolts and it drained from the pan sides into the lid, then removed pan... first change measured every drop and just poured the same amount in, box worked fine, if too much it would blow out the breather, makes a hell of a mess... Penrite ATF and filters from MB Spares Fyshwick or Repco.
My plan to fit a drain was remove pan, screw it onto the bench top cut hole in place and MiG on a 20mm pipe fitting with bung and hope I didn't blow a hole or distort the pan...........

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 14-09-2021
Full Flexer

Liked 573 Times in 294 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
Old mate at a reputable tranny place here in North eastern Adelaide quoted me 480 bills for a tranny service, that's to drop the pan, change filter and fill her back up. For that price I'm willing to have a crack at it myself, end up with trans fluid all over my arms, face and driveway and have plenty of spare money left over to spend at Dr Dan's!
Piece of piss, I have 100 mm thick boards (2 x 50 x 200 treated pine screwed together bevelled to drive on about 900 long, 4 off) + off road 2, plenty of room

You will still spill some and it will drip and it will get on you, I can’t remember if Allen key or torx bit and there is a heat shield for the exhaust pipe

As Drover said Penrite atf fs is recommended but the auto guy here puts the new BMV in the 5 speed and he is very knowledgeable

Measure what comes out. I use a bit of clear tube to measure, push down dipstick tube (the plug comes out twist counter clockwise) to bottom of pan then thumb over end, pull out and measure

Bob
Post New Thread  Reply