My XJ Cherokee's...... - Page 15 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-04-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

smear some grease on the area you think the exhaust is contacting

It will leave a witness mark, (and some smoke) when it contacts the hot exhaust
Old 15-04-2021
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

I got my can of aircon gas today and will be topping it up tomorrow while it is running I am getting underneath to have a look where it is rattling Lets hope the gas gives me some aircon if it works I might even consider another can for the 96 But then the Dog does like his head out the window and I would hate the RSPCA to come after me.
The rain has gone and the rivers and creeks are full so we went bush today .. A bit more dirt as the 96 gets a clean this week end it's been a while! and a good once over nothing like some TLC
Old 16-04-2021
AJOR Bronze

I put the aircon gas in today I had to trip the low pressure switch to get the compressor running while I filled it the lines went nice and cold I took the paper clip out and plugged the switch back in and the aircon was cycling but not blowing cold out the vents It is still low on gas but at least I know it is working I will go and see if I can get it topped up on Monday.
Old 17-04-2021
AJOR Bronze

I was underneath today and looked at the tranny leak all the bolts needed a slight nip up about a quarter turn with no real pressure and 2 are stripped! WTF!!!! that was supposed to be fixed years ago not strip another bolt now I have to sort this out all over again.

EDIT 5 Hours Later and some Beers!
It just gets better I looked on rockauto for a gasket thinking I don't need a filter as the fluid and filter has only done 100k in the last few years so the filter should be OK?
A Gel Pro gasket is only $7.30 AUD COOL But the postage is $45 AUD? its a light flat envelope? other things in over size boxes filled with air bags only cost about $15 postage? F That! On eBay Sparesbox has the synthetic gasket and filter for about $35 which is in it now So I may as well change the filter the fluid has to be dumped anyway and its cheaper.
I found a new mechanic in town He is the only guy in town who has the Oxy and fixed the exhaust rattle ... I am not going to take it back to the usual dickheads they have already had 3 goes and only achieved stripping more bolts!
He is a hard man to catch as he also works 7 on 7 off in a mine but he fixes everything from prime movers to dirt bikes so I will get the gasket kit and make a booking with him in the near future ................ So I am not going to Barcaldine for my 200k round trip test drive for a pie untill I get the tranny leak sorted once for all I am sick of this!
I also made a decision about the LightBar I was tossing and turning about connecting it to the high beam as I already have the smart harness installed with xenon bulbs then I was looking at relays and wire I ended getting another harness which means the LightBar will be a switch only $18 on eBay easy fit .............
The 96 gets parked around the back tomorrow and gets the big TLC Look Over I don't mind driving the 99 around town But no High Way Run Yet
Enough out of Me I need a Beer!

Last edited by LuluBelle; 17-04-2021 at 07:40 PM.
Old 18-04-2021
Established Member

Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I love reading your threads, gives me a bit of motivation to get things done on mine too

With the trans bolts, I seem to recall that a bunch of them have open tops on the castings on the transmission where they thread into, or at least the casting it threads into sticks out free of the main body of the transmission. Worst worst case scenario, if the stripped bolts are on any of these spots, maybe you could just chuck a longer bolt through and a nut on top to secure it? If that makes sense. Like this picture, you can see the tops of the pan bolts showing from above, when looking down. If you just got a bolt a bit longer, you could probably thread a nut onto it easily enough with some fancy finger work, and get yourself out of trouble. Obviously just be careful not to over tighten and crack the casing, maybe chuck some rubber washers under them.

Just an idea, I'm all for ghetto fixes if they work!

Old 18-04-2021
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

I would advise you to check the trans leak isnt coming from the front main seal, by cleaning everything up, including the inspection plate, run for a minute, and check to see if it is running down inside the inspection plate

my trans has 3 stripped bolts

the open top one, I will feed a 3/4" long nut & bolt same thread (they are imperial , I cant remember the size)

the other 2 are blind holes, so I will re-tap them to M6 and install 2 x 12mm M6 bolts (that is the next size up from the imperial thread)

an AW4 gasket was $20 at the trans rebuilder, off the shelf
Old 19-04-2021
AJOR Bronze

"I love reading your threads, gives me a bit of motivation to get things done on mine too" Thanks Mate sometimes you just have to get it out of your system!

"I would advise you to check the trans leak isn't coming from the front main seal, by cleaning everything up, including the inspection plate, run for a minute, and check to see if it is running down inside the inspection plate"..... Tony I looked at that wiped everything with a rag and I admit that was my worst FEAR! I checked that a few years ago when the CarKiller first gave it to me before I sold it to the Father in Law Before I bought it back.
I get tired just thinking about all that.
(and speaking about the CarKiller.. I like the guy But Really? a couple of years ago he got a new suzuki swift as he and his 80 something year old mother are on a permeant road trip .... it lasted about 18 months before he rolled it (that's another incredible story) his insurance gave him another suzuki swift same colour so off they went Driving Driving Driving!... this one lasted about 18 months before he took out a roo or two so now it is in the panel beaters and the insurance company gave him a hire car which has hit a roo mean while he bought a havel which is in the shed as he is flogging the nissan hire car he drives every day about a 1000 k a week its boring sitting at home the inside of the house is a hoarders garbage pit ..... But ROAD TRIP!)
So its not the front tranny seal just the other day when I was looking I was wiping everything and it is dripping on the crossmember nor is it sprayed across the bottom of the pan so I think its safe to say its not that .
One way or the other it is going to get FIXED this time!
Temps are Great not gone over 95 so far so good only town driving so far
Light Bar harness and gasket should be here late this week
Always something to do to keep the XJ"s in good nick
Post New Thread  Reply