Lift and Tyres of your JK - Page 153 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-08-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sladey View Post
i quite like the bushwackers
You are lucky. They are not as ugly as some of the others but still don't look as good as the stockers.

Flame Red MY08 SWB CRD
AEV front bumper + Warn 9.5
Custom Rear Bumper
BFG KM2 on Rubicon Moabs
Old 14-08-2012
Established Member

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander View Post
This tyre is 11.5 inches wide and is legal to be fitted on the stock rim and will fit under the stock flares.

It's the 12.5 inch wide tyres that are an issue.

You might find 35's or 37's that are narrower than 12.5" wide but most are at least that width.
Thanks for the info mate
Old 14-08-2012
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Strictly speaking they arent legal once fitted if that worries you, as the tyres are not allowed to touch any part of the vehicle under any conditions. These will most likely 'just' scrub on the sway bar on full lock, not enough to cause any problems but will leave little clean marks on the sway bar after a while so if someone looking knows there stuff they will pick it up. Pretty slim chances of that though.

If you have a lift and not an adjustable front track bar though it will be worse as the diff will be pushed across to the drivers side and the passenger side will hit the sway bar a lot more, but probably clear on the drivers side.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 14-08-2012
Established Member

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Strictly speaking they arent legal once fitted if that worries you, as the tyres are not allowed to touch any part of the vehicle under any conditions. These will most likely 'just' scrub on the sway bar on full lock, not enough to cause any problems but will leave little clean marks on the sway bar after a while so if someone looking knows there stuff they will pick it up. Pretty slim chances of that though.

If you have a lift and not an adjustable front track bar though it will be worse as the diff will be pushed across to the drivers side and the passenger side will hit the sway bar a lot more, but probably clear on the drivers side.
Thanks SeaComms. I do have a lift and I also have an adjustable front track bar. I also intend to install drop brackets for the rear swaybar.

What's the real world benifit of have 12.5s over 11.5s other then looking better? If I'm going to spend the money on tyres is it worth me waiting till I have more funds and go the wider tyres with rims and flairs?
Old 14-08-2012
AJOR Silver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander View Post
You are lucky. They are not as ugly as some of the others but still don't look as good as the stockers.

lol which bushwackers are you thinking of? the pocket flares or the flat flares?
http://bit.ly/1eFBSY5
Old 14-08-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sladey View Post
lol which bushwackers are you thinking of? the pocket flares or the flat flares?
I don't like either but the pocket flares are slightly better. I liked the pocket flares the first time I saw them but after a time I liked them less and less.

Flame Red MY08 SWB CRD
Custom Rear Bumper
BFG KM2 on Rubicon Moabs
Old 14-08-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV8Drew View Post
Thanks SeaComms. I do have a lift and I also have an adjustable front track bar. I also intend to install drop brackets for the rear swaybar.

What's the real world benifit of have 12.5s over 11.5s other then looking better? If I'm going to spend the money on tyres is it worth me waiting till I have more funds and go the wider tyres with rims and flairs?
This is a "how long is a length of string" question, there's no real answer. Bigger fatter tyres will make your vehicle more capable off road but when to stop, are 33's too small? What about 35's? are 35's too small what about 37's or 40's when to stop? How much do you want to radically transform your truck? How much money do you have? Is your car a daily driver? do you need to tow? can you afford to regear?

Bigger tyres lead to a whole host of issues, sometimes those headaches aren't worth it and you are better of sticking to a more conventional size.

Flame Red MY08 SWB CRD
Custom Rear Bumper
BFG KM2 on Rubicon Moabs

Last edited by Zander; 14-08-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply