ESP Disable - Take two - Page 16 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

fitted the deadly esp get rid of bulls#*t switch today and gave it a little test up some dirt racks and all is sweet. highly reccomended and will do a sand run on sunday up da rocks...
Old 10-11-2009
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK: my $0.02 on the topic....

I have recently added Rancho 9000x shocks and coils, along with 33"BFG AT's to my MY2009 JK Wrangler Unlimited Sport. Now, as soon as I start to have some fun...
1 - The annoying ESP light flashes up, and the car tries to prevent itself going around the corner as quickly
2 - Once I have had this happen a few times, it seems to get even more keen, slowing me down on the most ridiculously easy bends.

I have so far:
1- Correctly aligned the steering post-lift (following hints on project-jk.com)
2 - Had the ESP reflashed by the dealer for the bigger tyres
3 - Tried the solution given in the manual to permanently turn off the ESP
.... all without success.

Looks like I will be implementing this mod tomorrow: not sure what it'll do for warranties but hey... And I will be turning it off for any driving on road or off that features fun bends! I like the push switch variant so that it doesn't come on as a default! I shall call it the fun button!!
Old 11-11-2009
Banned

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

with everyone putting the rocker switch in for the esp disable, doesnt a rocker switch momentarily cut the power? so to me it says the power is cut (turning off the esp) then its feeding power back to the module, should you get a spike or under voltage for whatever reason then it may fry your computer?

id rather leave it as a on or off switch, either the power is there or the power is not... thoughts?
Old 11-11-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The switch works great and made a massive difference in the sand... so much so that i could drive in 2wd with my tyres at 22psi on fairly soft stuff and the wheels spin. Yippee. I called my little switch "SUPA 4x4" because its the same as having an option between 2 and 4 hi... Love it!! Now is there any way that i can lock the rear or front diff electric locker or both (I have a auto petrol 07 4 door rubi) with out having to use 4Lo?? is this possible or am i going to far??
Old 11-11-2009
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it is possible, but you need to hack into the wiring for it and trick the car into thinking your in 4LO.

things will be alot different though, throttle response, speedo reading etc....unless you are able to put that on a switch.....hmmm i have some electrical drawings to do now....
Old 11-11-2009
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Total Locker Control - This allows complete control over each locker independently. It is a simple modification as well. It is reported that the locker indicators on the dash will simply blink whenever you use this modification. The computer may also set a trouble code but this has not been confirmed.

To control the rear locker you simply need to ground pin 42 of C1 from the TIPM (violet/light green). To control the front locker you simply need to ground pin 41 of C1 from the TIPM (violet/dark blue).

http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/JKLockerHacks.php

Like in the other above method the FCM monitors it's locker relay output for any unspecified draw or source. The FCM will set a DTC or a tell-tale in this event as well. Your dealer WILL be able to see it when you service the Jeep. Probably bad for your warranty.

Consideration: This method may not be subject to the 18 mph speed limit. Locker operation will continue until switched off.

Consideration: There may be problems with the lockers on and the ESP system in full effect. The ESP monitors steering position, wheel speed, etc. When you would make a corner with the rear locker on both wheels will maintain the same speed. The ESP may misinterpret this as a wheel with loss of traction and cause the system to try to compensate using throttle control and ABS.
Old 11-11-2009
ShortBlack
Visitor

Theres also some good write ups on the subject of directly wiring the Locker Relays on Project-JK. http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.p...bypass+lockers http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=25243

Its a good point you raise reyor with lockers on in 4Hi and the computer possibly interpreting the inner wheel as slip while cornering (cos its moving at the same speed as the outer wheel)

Because i have ARB Lockers and can select them at anytime, this point just raises the importance on the ESP Disable Switch

I also just bought the ORO Swaybar and can operate that at anytime too.

Boy after ready all the guff you guys with the Rubicon have to deal with im so glad i went for the Sport Model and fitted my own lockers and swaybar

Last edited by ShortBlack; 12-11-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply