XJ: TD 'Pocket Tourer' - Page 16 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-02-2008
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 4wd Systems tank Straps

Below are two pics of the Original Equipment straps on a 1997 TD Cherokee. You may be able to see that the strap is made of 3mm steel and folds over a solid pin at the end with a couple of small tack welds to hold the pin in place.

The 4wd Systems straps are made of a thinner steel which is welded directly to a hollow bar in place of the OE solid bar.

I have asked that the new straps be made like this. If they are not I will use them to hold the tank up only while I have new bars made like the OE ones but longer of course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Strap1 (2).JPG
Views:	41
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	24571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Strap1.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	24572  
Old 27-02-2008
LokRinger

Liked 1,759 Times in 557 Posts

All I did is use the originals and bent up an extra piece of strap bent 90* at each end like this [. The ends have a hole in each end with one to take the original threaded rod and the other bolts to the end of the original strap. So no welding even needed to do it and very easy for you to make.

You can see it in this shot with one end just folded under the first angled section of the tank and then vertically to the treaded rod.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 27-02-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

After reading this, i will modify mine prior to heading to Cape York.

if i had not put petrol into it, i would have cut the steel guard at the sides and had it welded to the tank, so it would also bolt to the tow bar mounts similar to the early version like gojeeps.

would do it now except welding to a tank that has had fuel, whilst still attached to my vehicle may result in total loss of life and vehicle
Old 28-02-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think that gojeeps idea using the extended OE straps is the go. I would have thought that the new straps provided would have met or exceeded OE specs (after all isn't that why we modify our 4wds? to improve on OE). It looks like they will have the problem solved shortly.

Rob. I would at least recommmend using Gojeeps extended OE straps (much stronger) or getting new straps made similar to the OE straps (but stronger!). I have had this tank 'offroad' but nothing severe, couple of trips up the beach and the odd smooth dirt track etc.. Definately do not take this tank with these straps to the cape!!
Old 28-02-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Xj has spent alot of time off the road at the moment and it has left me alot of time to think about where I am heading with it. I have the second fuel tank, twine system and water tank to install and then maybe a winch.

I am then thinking of making it stronger starting with the drivetrain. I figure that carrying all this extra weight while touring the drive train would be a good place to start.

Starting with the diffs, what should I do? I currently have 31s and don't really want to go any bigger. I want to install airlockers.

What are the options? Better to get new diffs and start again building up with new centres axles etc? I have read a bit about it but am confused as to the best option. I don't want anything over the top with too much modding (ie cutting housings etc). Any ideas?

Volvos use a Dana 30!

http://cust.idl.com.au/athol/volvo/index.html

Get one of these and mod it?

Last edited by indertdxj; 28-02-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 28-02-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Back to the fuel tank Saga!

The new straps sent up by 4wdsystems arrived at the mechanic. They have made them the same as the OE ones. The mechanic however can not believe that the tank can be held in by just the bar hooking through the pressed steel crossframe and believes that this should only be used as a temporary fix. So tomorrow I am dropping the OE tank and straps off to be fitted while we come up with a more long term solution.

Sounds like the pre update tank with the 'wings' to mount under the tow bar are the go!
Old 29-02-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went to the mechanic today and found this morning to drop of my OE tank and straps to have these refitted. I saw the second set of straps sent by 4wd systems to the mechanic and they were nothing like the OE or replacements supplied with the tank. Infact they did not fit the vehicle at all. I mean they were a total f**** up!! I don't think these guys have any idea what is meant to go on the tank until they saw another XJ (bought into their factory) today!

So a new set of straps is on its way up from SA to arrive monday. I will have the tank refitted upon my return from holidays.

I am also lead to believe (by them) that they are offering a retro fit for existing vehicles to stop this problem. Some one may be able to shed some light on this? As I believe that someone has made contact with them after reading this thread?