XJ running badly. - Page 16 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-07-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 108 Times in 60 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Well good news, as much as I had that small stutter high up in the revs the other day, no low rev miss/stutter of any kind again, the Heep runs like a champ, very responsive, and I think the problem of cold stuttering seems to have been solved, not even a miss/stutter of any kind all the way to the red line.

New leads are still to go on, and have a new map sensor as well. Might even do an oil and fluid change as well the next few days.

Now I still think this whole problem was a combination of several things, I am sure the shaft on the IAC sensor was stuck, and was probably the main culprit, but I also think having lose injector connectors was aiding to having a miss. And I am still thinking of getting new injectors seeing they don't cost that much, hell I might even get better milage out of them.

Now its early days and I tend to be hard to convince when it come to the Heep being fixed, but I will update any findings or if the miss/stutter does come back at all, but I think the gremlin is no more, for now.
Old 24-07-2016
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

looks like all good you been quiet for a bit
Old 24-07-2016
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluBelle View Post
looks like all good you been quiet for a bit
Yeah been quiet, my brother has been sick with a crock heart in hospital, so sort of distracted. But the Heep's miss/stutter at low rev's is fixed, and I think the same for the 4000 rev miss/stutter, although that one I am still not 100% convinced of, but will let you all know how that goes.

Have also done a radiator fluid change, and will do an engine oil change this week, just for maintenance sake more than any.
Old 25-07-2016
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

sorry about your brother but as far as fuel costs I love my LPG no power difference best thing about my jeep
Old 30-07-2016
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

The Heep had the same stutter again, all the way from low revs, I have a map sensor that I might fit next.
Old 30-07-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by East-Gippsland-XJCherokee View Post
The Heep had the same stutter again, all the way from low revs, I have a map sensor that I might fit next.
as well, perhaps you may wish to re-examine the wires that gave you trouble that temporarily fixed the issue?

the reason i say this (apart from the obvious) is that I have read of XJ having dodgy engine harness etc, probably due to heat and brittle, and in my own 96, found a bunch of cracked wires

not that its any consolation, but my Mrs '05 Commodore does similar to yrs for last ~3yrs or 60K, to replace all the needed parts & labor over $2k, juz been putting up with it unless I get my act together and do more fault finding, (car is worth about $2k, she dont exactly look after them...the Commodore forums suck compared to this one too
Old 30-07-2016
Established Member

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg View Post
as well, perhaps you may wish to re-examine the wires that gave you trouble that temporarily fixed the issue?

the reason i say this (apart from the obvious) is that I have read of XJ having dodgy engine harness etc, probably due to heat and brittle, and in my own 96, found a bunch of cracked wires

not that its any consolation, but my Mrs '05 Commodore does similar to yrs for last ~3yrs or 60K, to replace all the needed parts & labor over $2k, juz been putting up with it unless I get my act together and do more fault finding, (car is worth about $2k, she dont exactly look after them...the Commodore forums suck compared to this one too
I agree, I would not spent 1000's on some one looking for a fault in the wiring loom as I only paid $1500 for the Heep, and I am not convinced that the problem is the loom, its a cold start (start just fine) have to get some heat into it problem, as most times the miss will clear when warmed up.

I am still looking at replacing the factory injectors, not saying they are causing this miss, but is still a good upgrade to do those 4 hole injectors, and seeing that they factory once have been in the Heep for 320000 plus k's, it would only be beneficial in the long run.

If all fails and I can't find the reason for this miss/stutter, and it won't break down and leave me on the side of the road, I will live with it. It starts really well, idles perfect, has good power, just has that annoying cold run miss at times, but not always at lower revs either, I can live with it at 45000 revs as I don't rev it to that most times.

But I am defently looking at buying some 4 hole injectors as for the money it seems well worth it, and who knows, the seals on the factory injectors could be leaking, process of eliminating I guess, but a few times I thought I had it beat, give it a few days and it shows its ugly face again.
Post New Thread  Reply