Thinking of buying a 2005 WK Diesel for the daughter - Page 16 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2021
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

ok well I’ll blame you if my engine conks out with a belly full of plastic

I left the engine cover off this time as well as for the same reason. Also you can hear the things cajones a bit better which I do enjoy
Old 10-01-2021
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Thanks Brit, hope other owners get something out of it.
Cannabat.. pretty sure you will be fine.

So... today was time to get rid of that pesky intermittently failing ABS sensor. Its been good for a while, but will act weird when you least expect it.

I whipped the back wheel off to expose the sensor. Its so easy to do once you get that wheel out of the way. 1 x 10mm bolt and its out. Pic below shows it almost pulled out from the backing plate.

Then just unplug it from up under the wheel arch and thats it!
Looks identical to my old faulty original Mopar one. Do yourself a favour and only buy a replacement Mopar sensor. These things are sensitive, and my aftermarket one was junk straight out of the box.

Once replaced, i took the Jeep on a long drive. Absolutely no codes and no erratic problems. Previous symptoms were brakes coming on by themselves, Service 4WD light coming on, ABS light coming on, strange sounds, Not being able to go into 4Lo, rear wheel locking up while reversing. Sometimes no codes were thrown, but Jscan live reader was picking up problems.

Next, and just about the final item on the list is the glow plugs. The Jeep starts fine, but Jscan reports 5 out of the 6 are not working. I have 6 Bosch plugs to go in.
In preparation for this job, i popped down to Bunnings and got a 1/4" drive deep 8mm socket. Only $8. While i was there i got some Kerosene. The reason for the kero is because i also got a small spray bottle. Im going to make a 50/50 mix of kero and ATF. This mix is supposed to be the ducks nuts at seeping and creeping and loosening tight threads. Over the next while, i will be spraying a bit on the glow plugs to start the capillary action and hopefully helping to make them all come out easier. The other trick i have heard is to get the engine nice and hot before doing it.

Anyway, no rush on that job. I also got some WD40 and kept squirting it on the key and barrel, as i have found its a bit sticky sometimes. Seems to of helped.
Last but not least, one of the key fobs went dead yesterday. While at Bunnings i picked up a pack of 4 CR2032. They had an incredible discount going on them, so i couldn't resist. Once the new battery was in, the fob worked perfectly again.

Cheers,

Old 10-01-2021
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

yeah just found this data sheet for polypropylene https://www.hmcpolymers.com/uploads/...resistance.PDF it's listed as limited absorption for motor oil @ 60 deg C, reassuring.

smoking deal on those batteries mate, wowweee!

did yours get the ignition recall done? mine has the recall done and you have to push the key in quite firmly to be able to turn it - is this what you mean by sticky?
Old 10-01-2021
AJOR Gold

With the key Cannabat, i think we have the updated ignition. It has a sticker there too, to say "press in hard and turn".

What i meant by sticky was that i have turned the key to start the car on occasion, and it has literally kept cranking when i have taken my hand off the key. I had to quickly turn it back slightly. In other words, it was sticky in the "crank" position. I used the WD40 with the spray tube. I got it right in and sprayed a few times. Also around the outside of the barrel and on the key.

I'll keep and eye on it, but im hoping that solved it. For me, its strange but not too much of a problem. If it happens with my daughter starting the car, it might be a different story.

Besides that, she is driving like a dream.

Cheers,
Old 11-01-2021
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The ignition is an auto crank type, ie if you turn to crank and let go it continues to crank till the engine fires.

To stop the auto crank you have to turn the ignition back to the acc position.

This feature can be turned off with Jscan and alike if you don't like it.
Old 11-01-2021
AJOR Gold

Hi Clarky,

Yep, i went into Jscan settings and its called Tip. I did play around with it a bit as there are two settings. One is Tip Start Override (active), and the other is Tip Start Present On/Off (deactivated).
Anyway, when i tried to change one of them, the system kept crashing.

I can flick the switch for a milisecond, and she cranks until starts, so i know its on, but not sure if it was my imagination now when it felt like it stuck on crank.

Anyway, do you have any experience with Windbooster or Idrive the WH?
Only thinking about one down the track.

Cheers,
Old 11-01-2021
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Have never had an Idrive or Windbooster
I just push harder on the loud pedal, the long pedal feeling may be unusual for some but off road it is brilliant in the technical stuff.