SE Qld storms.Who got hit? - Page 16 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-05-2009
Pollie Waffle

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hahah they might be getting written off... in Brissy now, rain is just about to start back up again...

I walked from Parliament back to my office (like 2 blocks max) and got saturated, even though I had a full size umbrella and all!

This rain is predicted to last till weekend at least... crazy!
Old 20-05-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsy85 View Post
You learn how to budget, when I was living on $150 a week I still had contents insurance. You'd be stupid not to, my problem with it is people dont have it, when they get wrecked, it all gets replaced for them, so why am I paying insurance?
I know where you are coming from, but that is only $1000, no where near the $10k-20k claims others will be claiming on their insurance, and many will be laughing as they get a brand new fence to replace the one that was falling down anyway.

$1000 to replace some basic essentials you've lost like fridge, matresses, linen & clothes for those that genuinly need it isn't a big deal, it doesn't go far.
Many are going through tough times and may have had lost jobs recently with few job prospects about and had to make decisions in the last few months like "pay the insurance, house payment, electricity or buy food for the family with this dole cheque" Or do we just sell the house now for peanuts because we can't afford to insure it this month. They may already have sold cars, dogs, disconnected their phones, stopped smoking & drinking.

We were lucky, Redcliffes just had a heap of rain, nothing else, our loading dock at work flooded and we had to hire a pump to empty it as the sump pump in it couldn't keep up with how fast it came in. Redcliffe was semi cut off from the mainland for a while too. I got a roof leak to check out when the sun comes out, but othewise no problems.
It's a Jeep thing, I don't understand............

Last edited by BrisNut; 20-05-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 20-05-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Worst floods since '74:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/...ate-emergency/
Old 20-05-2009
BANNED AGAIN

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

Yep - 3 out of the 4 roads to my place are closed, 2 are flooded and were by 0700hrs this morning, the other (the Goat Track from Canungra) has reportedly experienced landslides / rock falls etc.and is also closed.

Usually we are without power, but this time our place is still on but the majority of the Mountain is blacked out, including the houses across the road. 50 metres up from my place the road is closed due to storm damage and lines down.

Pretty amazing amount of water!
Old 20-05-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think I've ever known it to rain heavily up here without at least one person getting killed, poor bugger down on the G/Coast. Hard to imagine bar-b-ques & patio furniture blowing off the highrises & ended up in the streets below.
Old 20-05-2009
BANNED AGAIN

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

Here's the creek I usually drive over, hence the reason why the roads closed.

Old 20-05-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow DizzyDi I didn't know about the guy down at the GC, talk about an unfortunate way to go...

I'm staying in Kelvin Grove (in a gully) at the moment and only had to move stuff from under the house so not too bad, having a good ol' time in quiet areas hitting water to help clean underbody and it's oversteering happy nature in the wet.

And quite relevant to AJOR - as I am temporarily having to leave the JK out at night, I discovered my hardtop isn't quite waterproof - the drivers side of the 3piece top has been filling up each night, I can hear it sloshing about when I take off and then feel drops of water on my back as I'm driving into work... and yet I haven't lost any love for the thing, it's never boring

Cheers,
B.