What did you do to your WK Grand today? - Page 162 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,976 Times in 2,347 Posts

Well The Jeeperific got a wash and polish the other day, amazing you say, well what got me was one of my headlights had some really good gouges from a gooley or 2, so it inspired me to do something Ive been meaning to do since I bought it, okay Im slow I know..................... Trip to AutoBarn for some Altrex Light Skinz LSG, it was on special so only $35 and I got the last one in the rack, yahoo.

Hear some folks say its rubbish but this is vehicle #5 that Ive put it on and it works great, saved the ZG's lights, it took a hit that left a gouge in the Skinz which would certainly have broken the glass and on the WG a gooley took a chunk form the plastic and paint from the edge of the bonnet was proof enough for me ...

Problem is folk don't read the instructions very well, I only cover the section thats actually facing the front don't worry about trying to encase the light and a nice small squeegee and heat gun does wonders, the bonus is the acrylic lens doesn't seem to get sunburnt where the Skinz is .... and my old HiLux has had some on since about 2006 and still hanging on, glass so it gets the thick stuff .............

The price of a new headlamp is scary.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 04-05-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,158 Times in 613 Posts

...the final touches are being carried out preparing for the big lap...leaving on the 15th. The low level crossing is all in place at Fitzroy River now so should be all good.

Jeep has had all oils changed, diifs, transfer case and engine...the tranny was done 20,000 k's ago so thats ok...fuel filters changed 1500 k's ago.

Last thing I will be doing on Saturday is adding a couple of extra spacers behind the bullbar to try and get some extra turning circle without lifting to OR1 or OR2.

Carrying spare fuel, oil and air filters, serpentine belt, oil cooler, jumper leads, assortment of spanners, sockets and allen keys, compressor, tyre repair kit, spare valves, wheel studs and nuts. assorted hose clamps, wire, hose and electrical tape, hundred mile an hour tape...even a spare thermostat, windscreen repair kit, assorted sealants and glues...I have got spare radiator hoses which I am not taking, and even an alternator off the previous Jeep but that is too bulky..but where do I draw a line?

Van has had new rubber fitted and is having a Laser wheel alignment next Wednesday. Getting a bit toey now ready to hook up and go...

Last edited by Jeeper6; 04-05-2023 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-05-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper6 View Post
...the final touches are being carried out preparing for the big lap...leaving on the 15th. The low level crossing is all in place at Fitzroy River now so should be all good.

Jeep has had all oils changed, diifs, transfer case and engine...the tranny was done 20,000 k's ago so thats ok...fuel filters changed 1500 k's ago.

Last thing I will be doing on Saturday is adding a couple of extra spacers behind the bullbar to try and get some extra turning circle without lifting to OR1 or OR2.

Carrying spare fuel, oil and air filters, serpentine belt, oil cooler, jumper leads, assortment of spanners, sockets and allen keys, compressor, tyre repair kit, spare valves, wheel studs and nuts. assorted hose clamps, wire, hose and electrical tape, hundred mile an hour tape...even a spare thermostat, windscreen repair kit, assorted sealants and glues...I have got spare radiator hoses which I am not taking, and even an alternator off the previous Jeep but that is too bulky..but where do I draw a line?

Van has had new rubber fitted and is having a Laser wheel alignment next Wednesday. Getting a bit toey now ready to hook up and go...
out of all that stuff i would carry hoses. Especially around 150K . second wk2 and second one to have hoses split around 150K .
Old 04-05-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 775 Times in 403 Posts

Bloody oath, radiator hoses and fan belt are the first on the list, no matter what you drive, wrap the alternator in an old towel and stick it under the bed in the van, old towel comes in handi if its flogging down and you have to dry off after changing a flat tyre

Last edited by OLMATE; 04-05-2023 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-05-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,330 Times in 766 Posts

Set of Vice Grips and a bloody decent sized hammer....come in handy for 'roadside' repairs....caveman/primitive but effective !....u have the 100mph tape...set to go !.....bloody jealous mate...ENJOY !

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 05-05-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,976 Times in 2,347 Posts

Fan belt, hoses and filters, same with the other bits your taking in my spares box, I wouldn't worry about the alternator, you don't have a lot of payload to start with ..... 27mm socket most important .................... and some pre mix coolant ......
Make sure you check all your wheel nuts, van and Jeep, loose or lost wheel nuts is very common problem after servicing of vans..... I carry and use a torque wrench on mine...

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 05-05-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,158 Times in 613 Posts

Thanks...The hoses are quite bulky hence the thought to leave them...maybe I'll find somewhere to cram them in...never ever had a hose let go on any of my Jeeps, but always a first time eh.
The serious problem I have is space to store stuff...closely followed by weight. The Jeeps aren't known for having stacks of space to store stuff...under the rear seat is now full, spare wheel well is full, side pockets in back are full, floor covered...the alternator is just too heavy and bulky and just will not fit anywhere...so I am going to take a punt with that. (The van is full of stuff and overweight when full of water already)

Yeah the 27mm is always in the tool box too...2L of premixed coolant always in back......have got hammer and vicegrips, pliers, cutters etc. I am tossing around though whether to somehow somewhere cram in the oil for the next oil change as it will be due by the time I get to Broome....there is a Supercheap there...at what price though?
(Oh yeah, got both AlphaOBD and JScan readers as well, plus a couple of spare elbows for the air suspension that are known to crack and leak.) ...the electric chainsaw and lightweight folding fire pit stashed to cover off those chilly nights on board too...

I am hoping I have covered most bases...lol.