What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views - Page 1629 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by low ranger View Post
Hey JJ, who fed your cat while you were away for 3 weeks? No wonder it`s noisy...probably just very hungry...
Oh very droll....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 10-12-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
Hey guys

Newbie XJ owner here. I just purchased a white 96 Sports couple of weeks ago. Had a few problems but working my way through them. First off I wasnt all that thrilled on how messy it was inside. Being my first jeep, was kinda hoping for more of an interior from something mid 90's, seemed a lil oldschool.
So first thing i did was replace all door trims with door handles, latches, switches, centre console, all seats and headrests, carpet, 80% of the plastics round the interior, 4x4 shifter, the auto shifter, rear speaker moulding. Even scored factory jeep side steps. I sourced the parts from a 2000 written off XJ that had the more modern interior and this had only done 50 thou k's, so all was in excellent condition.

Stupid me didnt check properly and assumed everything was bolt on, came to find i had major headaches. Door handles in different spot, wiring for trims are totally different, trim clips are in different spot, centre console shaped totally different, mountings are different, new T-bar has big factory bend in it, handbrake in different spot, no factory holes to mount the side steps, some of the plastics are different shape and mount differently. Yea i know, im a dumbass.

By the 2nd day since buying them, i regretted it, badly. But I pushed on tinkering. A week later, i've got in the carpet, seats, plastics, centre console, completed front left door trim and all wiring and switches. I'm having a break before starting the next door as there is a fair bit of modifications involved.

Purchased a cheap galv steel gutter mount full length tray few days ago and mounted it on a tilt so it doesnt hit my sports spoiler. The mounts are too short! So u-bolted the rear on top of the factory roof rack and gutter mounted the front. Whacked the spare tyre up there and now happy with more boot space. Also purchased a compressor and mounted where the spare used to be.

Found it was noisey under the bonnet and in the cockpit so i replaced the manifold gasket as well as the gasket on the bottom end of the extractors. Made a huge difference. Cleaned the throttle body and so it now idles a bit better with less flux on the tacho.

Now im getting pretty happy with it. Inside it feels nearly like a new car, well compared to before.

Tomorrow doing the thermostat gasket as I found some residue from coolant on the bashplate and followed it to find the source.

Next on the list will be engine mounts, all tie rod ends, rewire both my fans to run constant with acc, re-upholster roof lining and to mount the side steps as i cant afford sliders or anything yet, and i dont mind the extra protection.

More undecideds to come.

I'm not an electrition or mechanic, I'm just decent with my hands, always try to do things myself to learn. So far all work has been done by myself and so far so good.

I'll post some before and after pictures when i finish a few more things and have more time, it's been a busy few weeks on the tonka truck.

=)
Welcome aboard....

That is a very ambitious start to Xj ownership, if you are chasing a FSM (Factory Service Manual) for the 96 online you won't find it, you will find one for a 95 (which is a pre-update like yours) or the 97 (update like the interior you're fitting) but I know where you can get an electronic copy, the FSM has all the electrical diagrams that will help with the job you're undertaking....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 10-12-2013
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 821 Times in 362 Posts

notice my car is pouring out oil again, same spot as the last 2 times.

going to have to try another gasket silicon with a thicker O-ring.
leaking between the backing plate and the engine, (cam seal)

over pulling out the gearbox

on a top note:
at least ive got it down to 30mins to remove the box
Old 10-12-2013
EL CAPITANO DESTRUCTO

Liked 1,911 Times in 804 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Changed yet another dead rear uni
Got a spicer replacement this time

Found some rust in the floor

Ripped the exhaust headers off as they are cracked 80%
What a fun job

Noticed the thermostat was leaking
Changed it for a genuine mopar replacement

Cracked open a cold one, so nothing more will get done today.
Old 10-12-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 98 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
You dont happen to have the uni part number for the ones out by the wheel hubs?
i may have one at home..are you after a spicer number or any uni part number ?

JJ will know for sure but off the top of my head it is a 1330 series uni.
Old 10-12-2013
RubiconSlammer

Liked 821 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
You dont happen to have the uni part number for the ones out by the wheel hubs?
have a look at this link should be able to work out the part no with the size of the uni

http://viclube.com.au/public/upload/...MAY%202011.pdf

also found the part numbers for the drive shaft uni
1310 uni Spicer No. 5-260X
1330 uni Spicer No. 5-213X

hope it helps
Old 10-12-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Got another xj...

Picked up another xj tonight…..
Attached Thumbnails