Self help time for slow diesel fill problem - Page 17 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2008
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i have fitted a longranger/ARB long range tank to mine, which has an enlarged filler neck, a 38mm hose to the sub tank and a 32mm hose to the main tank. i can now put a truck nozzle in the neck at any angle i like, stand on my head,.balance on my willy, or pull faces at any service staion in the country and it will fill as fast as i can get fuel out of the bowser. those who have used the stevil fix of changing the filler hose have the same result. the common factor is changing the filler hose between the filler neck and the fuel tank. please do yourself a favour and just do it. it works.
Old 08-02-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It must have to do with the flow rate of pumps also mate...i experienced the prob last time i filled up, but then tried at the servo i normaly go to and there was no prob??? Obviously the valves arent breathing enough...

KSK

"Let your pistons do the Torquing"
Old 08-02-2008
(O |||||||| O)

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I find the same thing my usual servo, united kewdale, it never happens it might have clicked out once or twice but if I go anywhere else it varies.
Old 08-02-2008
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do the long range tanks fit into a 2 door?? and does changing the filler neck and hose effect the warranty?
GME TX3440 UHF
Old 08-02-2008
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickandrina View Post
Do the long range tanks fit into a 2 door?? and does changing the filler neck and hose effect the warranty?
the long range tank and filler neck is for the 4 dor only. there is no aux. tank in production for the short wheelbase. also you cannot get the factory filler neck out with out cutting it to pieces. so if you have a short wheelbase, your solution is to use the existing filler neck. climb under the rear of the vehicle, you will see a hose about the size of a garden hose with a short length of pipe in the middle section which joins the filler neck to the tank. take off this whole silly contraption and throw it as far away as you can. measure the length of hose you need to replace it from the filler neck to the tank spout, and buy some 32mm inside diameter fuel hose. keep the hose clamps from the contraption you took off to re-use. fasten the hose to tank, then cut the other end so that when placed on the filler neck, it is short enough that you can hopefully get a slight downhill run across the vehicle to the tank. if you can't don't fret. put your clamps on and you should have your fix. this only gives a real fix if using small nozzle pumps, because you can't get the truck nozzle in because of the bit of metal sticking out. if you can find a way to bend that out of the way you can use truck nozzles too. you can still use truck nozzles but you have to hold the handpiece and be carefull how fast you squirt the fuel in. but it will still be faster than what you have now. heaps of people are still holding out for a miracle cure or fix from chrysler, but it isn't coming. the bit of hose will cost you kess than 20 bucks, and about an hour of your time and it's all over. this fix will not void your warranty. i am one who has been through months of this myself and in the thick of the battle on this thread and personally. be kind to yourself, save yourslf a lot of heartache and headaches and just change the hose and have an enjoyable time with your jeep. it really is only a minor problem once you know how to fix it. good luck folks. enjoy your jeep and your lives.
Old 10-02-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Iv copied and saved that last bit of info there davidd incase the valves crap themselves again...thanks mate..

KSK

"Let your pistons do the Torquing"
Old 12-02-2008
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yep all this talk about faulty valves is just crap. the system works fine on petrol versions, never a complaint. the same system is used on the diesel model and the diesel version has problems. the deal is that the filler system just isn't suitable for filling with diesel. diesel froths and foams. it is the nature of diesel. so the filler hose has to be larger so you can get a large enough volume of diesel down the filler to pop the valves. occasionally you wil get everything going your way and get a good fill. the only way to guarentee you will always get a good fill is to change the filler hose to a 32mm diameter hose, which is what it should have had from day one. that simple. chrysler could make this whole thing go away by simply putting a 32mm hose on all vehicles, petrol and diesel on the assembly line. it would also be cheaper than the current hose contraption they currently use. but there's nothing you or i can do about it except make the change ourselves at our own cost after we receive delivery of our vehicles.
Post New Thread  Reply