KJ lifts and what to expect - Page 18 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-11-2007
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default KJ Lift

Wilmo and CRDSTU
I have a 03 2.8 auto (the lowered one). I had Suburban do their 2.5" lift on it in Mar'05. Items fitted were OME948 springs and N132 shocks rear and OME927s and NS131s front. Some spacers (?) were also fitted and 10mm coil spring spacers (TJ). The end result was about 750cm front and rear. I put the 948s on as I was towing a camper trailer. The clearances are now down to 720cm front and rear on the LHS and 715 front and 705 rear on the RHS. When the trailer is hitched up the back is down appreciably although the weight on the drawbar is only about 110kg. I had the car checked at a Pedders and they said the car is very 'spongy' and the type of tyre wear means the shocks need replacing. As a result of the original lift (about 750cm) I fitted 245/75/16 tyres (cooper ST-C) and I understand that to retain them I need to keep the higher clearance.
Going on your posts it sounds like STU has used some fabricated parts. Can I buy all the parts I need off the shelf to get me back to the 750cm clearance? Are the new parts likely to give me the lift I need while towing? Is there any likelyhood that the new items will last any longer than the ones I have now? Some guys in my 4wd club are pushing me to fit poly air bags in the rear. I know Suburban were not keen on them as they did not think they could stand up to off road use. Heaver duty versions would probably be ok but I dont believe any are available to fit the KJ. Would appreciate your thoughts on them as well if it is printable! Thanks for your posts - both very helpful.
Old 15-11-2007
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

Wilmo an dCRDSTU don't get the chance to get on here so much these days, so I'll try to help you with what I know.

Due to the extra weight of the CRD the OME springs just don't cut it, so the thing to do is get the special Kings Springs CRDSTU spec's , there is a part number around for them somewhere. In the rear....well it depends on what you really want the KJ to do, if it is mostly for towing, Pipeliner swears by his Polyairs in the rear for keeping the tail-up. He got them done at TJM and I believe a few other lads have done the same. As for the OME shocks, yep, if you have done a lot of towing and it's a CRD they will have had quite a work out, meaning they will have lost alot of their ability to work correctly, down side of that is that you will overcompress the coils more and more, thus slowly shortening them, taht will acount for your drop in lift height.

I had a very similar thing happen in the rear of mine, had the KJ packed right up, and travelled on harsh outback roads, with constant bumps. That over heats the small bore of the OME shockie and causes it to move more freely, making the coil itself take the brunt of the bumps and generally bottom out (overcompress) that constant overcompression will shorten the spring length. Polyairs in the rear will work to better hold up the weight, and, work like a secondary shock absorber, so as your shockies don't overheat. Good alround for towing.

BUT, you will not have as much articulation in the rear with the polyairs, thats were the OME's have the advantage, SO as I said realy depends on what you need to KJ to do.

I had my rear springs replaced with another set of OMEs as mine had overcopressed and dropped about 50mm, when I did have them replaced I opted not for the OME shocks, I went for a set of Pro-comps, a bit stiffer in ride but, handle every thing great and with them I have had no issues from the new set of springs.

As far as reliability of the polyairs...Yes, IF you are unlucky you can puncture them, but as far as I have heard its rare and as I said "Unlucky". My brother has them on his work utes and has used them for years without any hassles what so ever.

Hope that helps a little

cmohr

Tales.......of Interest!!!
Old 15-11-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSyma View Post
Wilmo and CRDSTU
I have a 03 2.8 auto (the lowered one). I had Suburban do their 2.5" lift on it in Mar'05. Items fitted were OME948 springs and N132 shocks rear and OME927s and NS131s front. Some spacers (?) were also fitted and 10mm coil spring spacers (TJ). The end result was about 750cm front and rear.
HOLY MOTHER OF .... 7,5 meters!!!! That's awesome!! Which tyres did you fit on it? Monster trucks?

Ahh, just kidding mate
Old 15-11-2007
Rubicon MOABs

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I wouldnt go as far to say the OME 927's dont cut it on a CRD, they cant if you fit a steel bullbar like the ARB or maybe the TJM. I have a CRD & an alloy nudge & I find the front end fine, not spongy at all, it was when I had the 926's on. They were fitted as recommended by the ARB book but the 927's are the go w/o BB. I think some ppl have changed to Stu's King Spring because they have a steel BB. I dont think too many have a CRD w/o BB & Kings, its not necessary, otherwise it all good CMOHR

Last edited by palla; 15-11-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 15-11-2007
No Winching

Soory yes ....the CRD and a Bullbar too much for the OME. I have the V6 petrol and the ARB bar and have had very little drop in height in the front with the OME's , but, must admit that the shockies in the front are starting to "float" a little after only 1 yr. But again they certainly did get quite workout on all the outback roads I travelled in SA last year and where as the rears were ************ (more like oiled guide rods that any absorbsion), the fronts were still OKish.

Old 18-11-2007
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

cmohr
thanks for your reply. are you still happy with the pro comp springs? it looks like i need either the king springs or the new OME's someone mentioned. i am not sure what shocks to go with. i gather you can let the air in and out of the polyairs depending on what you are doing at the time?
Old 18-11-2007
No Winching

Pro-comp Shockies - Yes, very happy with them.

Polyairs - exactly...you pump them up when you need to and when you are just using it every day only run 5 psi, Pipeliner said that is the suggested minimum.

Post New Thread  Reply