What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views - Page 1850 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-08-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts

Thanks again JJ, looking into kit now,
Old 14-08-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,113 Times in 693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantxx View Post
Thanks again JJ, looking into kit now,
This is the kit I used...

Be aware that I feel the mountings top and bottom require work to be what I consider adequate, it was because of the lower mount that I needed to replace the bags, I also wasn't impressed with the way the upper mounts attach to the chassis so I fitted 100x50x5mm brackets that bolt both underneath and into the side of the chassis rails..

The other thing to consider, using the extra mounting plate even though it's only 5mm thick putting the bags 5mm closer to the tyres, the issue with this is when using stock offset rims 225's and 30x9.5-15's clear (just) but 235's rub and the wider the tyre the more of an issue that'll be...

I'll soon be making completely new lower mounts to prevent a recurrance of what happened recently....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland

Last edited by junglejuice; 14-08-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 14-08-2014
MonsterMoose

Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Had the Jeep at the auto electricians today to suss out the reverse lights why they are not working, so far no success. However while I was driving to work today and charging my laptop the inverter started to do the beeeeeep. Turns out the aux is not getting enough charge. The auto electrician has identified 8BS cable as not thick enough, even though this is what another auto electrician on the mainland said would be ok. Also running the aux with a Redarc and two 50a blade fuses is not the go. Redarc is fine but the blade fuses and holder no good. One they corrode and two too much voltage drop with that type of fuse. Wish the auto electrician in St Helens Tas who diagnosed the prob last time as being the Redarc was more switched on. I suspect now it may have never been the issue. So tomorrow its booked in to get new charging cables between the main and aux and circuit breakers instead of blade fuses. Makes me a bit cranky now that I binned my old Redarc as I could have donated it to a friend for his 4WD, since it's highly likely there was nothing wrong with it.

Regards A
Old 14-08-2014
MonsterMoose

Just be aware that the cable whilst not ideal WILL charge your aux battery, it'll just take longer as the voltage drop is a by-product of the current flowing through it, as the battery charges the current will drop and as such so will the voltage drop, eventually it'll be negligible.
When you mention two 50a fuses is that one fuse each end of the cable? Your second battery is under the bonnet isn't it?
If it is under the bonnet then the cable length will be what half a metre?

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 14-08-2014
MonsterMoose

Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
Just be aware that the cable whilst not ideal WILL charge your aux battery, it'll just take longer as the voltage drop is a by-product of the current flowing through it, as the battery charges the current will drop and as such so will the voltage drop, eventually it'll be negligible.
When you mention two 50a fuses is that one fuse each end of the cable? Your second battery is under the bonnet isn't it?
If it is under the bonnet then the cable length will be what half a metre?
Yerr under the bonnet and about two pieces at 250mm each. One each side of the solenoid. When I throw the override switch with 2BS cable there is no drop. But that one is not fused either. I am also going to do the resistor mod at some point too to keep the volts coming in to the main at 14.1v. At the moment its not a huge issue as the outside temps have been well below 0 in the mornings of a late. The bloke measured over 1v of drop between the main and the aux today. Some of that could be corroded fuse holders as last time I measured it was more like 1/3 of a volt.

Regards A
Old 14-08-2014
MonsterMoose

Well as both your batteries are under the bonnet your cable size is not your issue as voltage drop is determined by a combination of the cable's resistance, the length of the cable and the current.
Blade fuses are fine for the job but moisture needs to be kept out of the equation so vaseline or silicon grease will be the go here.
1/3rd v drop is still excessive IMHO.
I don't believe you need larger cable for the cable length you're using, I'd be measuring voltages at each stage of the system to work out where the voltage drop is occuring as I'm pretty sure it'll be the fuse/fuse holders and/or the red arc or its connections or a combination of all the above but you'll always get some voltage drop across a fuse as that's how they work....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 14-08-2014
EL CAPITANO DESTRUCTO

Liked 1,911 Times in 804 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
Well as both your batteries are under the bonnet your cable size is not your issue as voltage drop is determined by a combination of the cable's resistance, the length of the cable and the current.
Blade fuses are fine for the job but moisture needs to be kept out of the equation so vaseline or silicon grease will be the go here.
1/3rd v drop is still excessive IMHO.
I don't believe you need larger cable for the cable length you're using, I'd be measuring voltages at each stage of the system to work out where the voltage drop is occuring as I'm pretty sure it'll be the fuse/fuse holders and/or the red arc or its connections or a combination of all the above but you'll always get some voltage drop across a fuse as that's how they work....
^this
Blade fuses are not ideal for higher current
Ignore what manufacturers use standard...
Also, the redarc units stop working if they sense a voltage drop across the solenoid.
Post New Thread  Reply