JKU: RPM's Custom Hex Housing Diff Build - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-04-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

Fair davie dinkum, I'm loving it!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Old 29-04-2014
Senior Newbie

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Thanks mate
Old 29-04-2014
Jeep Test Driver

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Subscribed while wiping away the drool
Old 29-04-2014
Senior Newbie

Haha... nice one
Old 29-04-2014
Senior Newbie

Just some pics underneath the Jeep while it was on the hoist.

When I got the jeep it had 4.5 inch springs installed all round. I felt that it was too high and there was no way I could get it engineered with such a high lift so some 3 inch springs were installed. Here’s some pics showing the droop. Because of the diesel motor being alot heaver than the petrol it sat alot lower in the front than in the rear. I also found that after it’s first shakedown trip to Cobaw that my front shocks were bottoming out. So we put the 4.5 inch springs back in the front and it has now levelled out the stance. I’ll post pics of this later on in the build thread...

Finally it’s off the hoist but It sits alot higher in the rear which I wasn’t happy about.

Old 29-04-2014
Established Member

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts

Just loving this. From the Solidworks to the fab work from the Jk to the tubbed RX7 in the background. It's just got me smiling from ear to ear....Good to see stuff being done correctly. I'm guessing that by the QLD rego plates you intend to have it engineered for there? Man, if you can pull that off it's going to be hard not to follow your lead good luck with it!
Old 29-04-2014
Senior Newbie

Thanks mate I'm glad it's made you smile...

It's a bit of a story, but here goes.

Bill from DBOR sold the Jeep to Mitch who is from Melbourne. Mitch had the jeep for a few months and as Mitch does he gets bored of things really quick. Mitch had his eye on an excavator that was forsale in QLD. He traded the jeep in for the excavator, so the Jeep went upto live in QLD for a few months. The bloke from QLD had a big civil works company and was retiring, so he decided to sell off all his toys and his property and relocate to Germany as you do.. haha...

I remember when Mitch had the jeep up forsale originally and I wanted it bad then, but couldn't afford it. Then one day while looking on Gumtree the Jeep pops upforsale in QLD. I thought about it for a week or so and couldn't get the car out of my thoughts. I had to have it. It was driving me mad. I was loosing sleep over it.. haha... So I rang the guy up from QLD and made him a stupid offer and he accepted it because he was moving to Germany in a week or so and had to sell it. So I jumped on a plane in Melbs and flew to Brisbane that day. The fella picked me up from the airport, we did the deal. I stayed at his house for the night and he even cooked me bacon and eggs for breakfast, He was just a really nice bloke and I appreciated everything he did for me. So after breakfast I jumped in the Jeep and drove it all the way back to Geelong. It took me 24 hrs door to door, with a couple of naps along the way. It was a really good drive. When I got to turn the lightbar on for the first time I just giggled to myself... I couldn't believe how good this Jeep thing was. It made me really happy.

So then after wheeling it a few times on some pretty challenging tracks I decided to go all out and do the diffs. I had to sell my highly modified WRX and my zook to do it tho... The funny thing was I'd nearly spent $50k on my rex over the years and I got more for my engineered zook on 35's than what I got for my immaculate WRX... What a crazy world we live in... haha... But I didn't care because I was moving on with the Jeep.

So that's pretty much the how the story goes. I thought, I'd just do the diff swap, get it engineered and then get it registered on the 37's with a 3 inch lift. But my mate wanted to use the Jeep as one of his wedding cars, so I just bit the bullet and got it registered. It was alot of work which I'll go into detail a bit later on in the build thread, but it was worth it.
Post New Thread  Reply