From one Grand to another........ - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-08-2012
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts

I'd say he's done good. Diesels are just as good as the HEMI's. I'd say the benefits of a diesel are: fuel economy, low down torque. The benefits of the HEMI are: the roar, cheap parts from the US, high end power (not that it lacks much in torque though).

Overall, they're both quite capable with diesel saving you half as much in fuel costs.

Yes, I can agree with the rest in terms of "downgrade" and that it looks more euro than tough yank. I like the front look and the interior is way better than the previous model. It has QDII but lacks the front lockers and that in itself is surely a downgrade from the previous WH model, especially if you do moderate of heavier offroading. Also the independent rear suspension isn't really needed, it significantly limits the wheel travel and the car is rigid offroad. I would consider that a downgrade as well, it's not a frikken sports car. I kinda got used to the IFS on the WH's and love it's onroad handling and with the combination of solid rears, perfect for both worlds.

So yeah, those 3 things put me off "upgrading": no front lockers, IRS and the looks of the rear. That'll be enough whinging from me.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Old 31-08-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksjay View Post
Is there any particular reason you are moving to the new car?

What have been the pluses and minuses of your current drive?

I must admit, I like the previous Jeep better, it was more Chrysler than Merc, more yank than Euro.

Did you have the Quadra Drive?
.....Quite Simply - Fuel Economy. Plus the fact my Jeep is rapidly losing trade-in value. I was actually offered "mid to high 20's" as a trade-in.....Suffice to say I nearly throttled the guy. Thankfully, as a result of "playing the game" and sticking to my guns, I got a much better deal. Pluses = will tow anything, luxury, reasonable off road capability. Minuses = centre of gravity quite low (as expected), fuel consumption. I like the new model myself - Quadralift sealed it for me and it looks beautiful. Checked out the front end of a Prado? Looks like a bug eyed gecko being strangled.....
Old 31-08-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briteway View Post
I'd say he's done good. Diesels are just as good as the HEMI's. I'd say the benefits of a diesel are: fuel economy, low down torque. The benefits of the HEMI are: the roar, cheap parts from the US, high end power (not that it lacks much in torque though).

Overall, they're both quite capable with diesel saving you half as much in fuel costs.

Yes, I can agree with the rest in terms of "downgrade" and that it looks more euro than tough yank. I like the front look and the interior is way better than the previous model. It has QDII but lacks the front lockers and that in itself is surely a downgrade from the previous WH model, especially if you do moderate of heavier offroading. Also the independent rear suspension isn't really needed, it significantly limits the wheel travel and the car is rigid offroad. I would consider that a downgrade as well, it's not a frikken sports car. I kinda got used to the IFS on the WH's and love it's onroad handling and with the combination of solid rears, perfect for both worlds.

So yeah, those 3 things put me off "upgrading": no front lockers, IRS and the looks of the rear. That'll be enough whinging from me.
....some great comments and points here! In my opinion, the new Jeep Diesel is on par with the HEMI - I've driven them both and the Diesel is impressive off the mark with a broader torque curve on tap than the petrol HEMI. The Cruiser has the biggest Diesel offering but it needs the 4.5lts of V8 to lug that behemoth around!! As I caravan quite a bit, the diesel was a no brainer. For mid 70k, it's the best offer on the market in terms of the top of the range Diesel WK! It covers all of the bases - luxury, capable off-roader (when equipped with quadralift), good highway cruiser, ticks all the boxes for me!
Old 31-08-2012
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What year model are you trading? I was under the impression it was a WK2 (i.e. you bought it new only a year or two ago), whilst some here are thinking it's a WH.
Old 31-08-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
what year model are you trading? I was under the impression it was a wk2 (i.e. You bought it new only a year or two ago), whilst some here are thinking it's a wh.
...it's a 2009 wh.
Old 31-08-2012
MudSplasher

Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
What year model are you trading? I was under the impression it was a WK2 (i.e. you bought it new only a year or two ago), whilst some here are thinking it's a WH.
Pmac, you got it kinda mixed up. He had a WH (as in his "what Jeep do you drive") and traded it in for the new WK, not the US WK which is equivalent to our WH. Our WK is the WK2 in the US.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Post New Thread  Reply