WH: Budget build - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 53 Times in 38 Posts

Tyres, they dont come cheap, surfed for the biggest tyre size that would fit under the back, found some great pics of the 255 75 17 bfg muds out of the states, pitty our rubi's didn't have them, decided on 245 75 17 silent armours off the wranglers, 31.5 tall, 2" taller than standard and fit without a lift. these are dirt cheap on the web. Bought a set from a member off here that was just up the road. $350 for 5 tyres, one brand new, rest travelled 6000 k's. Great buy. Cost $100 bucks for fitting which i thought was a bit steep at the time, still chaep tyres tho.
Paint $20
Tyres $350
Fitting $100
Budget = $630
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1643.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	59619   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1647.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	59620  
Old 02-02-2013
CrawlerStar

Had to mod my tow bar to fit the new feet. Had seen jeep towbars cut down on the web but mine came with a Hayman Reece brand bar. Took it out and ground off the offending piece, welded on a bit of flat plate to try and keep some strength in it, i know this is not a rated tow bar any more but will probably remove it before I sell one day any way, its good for the bikes and the tinnie.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1652.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	59621   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1653.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	59622   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1655.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	59623  
Old 02-02-2013
CrawlerStar

Lift kit? How do you lift on a budget? a budget boost, only problem is that you can get springs in aus for around $300. Because the bb are so simple i thought i would make my own, Worked out the front motion ratio to be 1:1.6 (correct me if I'm wrong) Made a set of spacers and was pretty dam happy with them. After one trial fit and a small mod to the hole centres a chickened out and decided to buy Springs. Which springs? Only considered King Springs or Dobinsons because I have used them in the past, they are made here and I could get them real cheap. Could get Dobs for $350 and Kings for $330, thats for 4. Was going for the dobs because I had them in my kj but they took to long to get back to me. Bought the Kings from Lee's Performance in logan, bought heaps from lee in the past and he was great. $330 on special, picked up the next day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1618.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	59624   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1621.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	59625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1659.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	59626  
Old 02-02-2013
CrawlerStar

Budget

Paint $20
Tyres $350
Fitting $100
Springs $330
Money left $300

On target to be under budget

Left on the list:\
Wheel allignment
Dual battery
Roof rack
Dash organiser
Floor mats
Its gunna be tight!!
Old 02-02-2013
CrawlerStar

Spring install

I broke my spring compressors when fitting my springs in the KJ, searched and found a picture of a home made strut compressor for doing motor bikes, thought i can do that, made a compressor and started the install,(very excited) timed myself and had the front and rears in after 1.5hours. Very happy with the result but as everything now i keep thinking i should have used the extra heavy duty not the heavy duty. Gained 2" front and 1" rear, flattened the stance out but it wasn't long before I made some 15mm poly spacers for the rear, nice rake now, drove for 1000k's and got an alignment. Mid week at a tyre shop $55, bargain. Shockies are good for now and will replace when needed, that means they are not in the build price? Thats the rules..

$245 left,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1670.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	59627   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1671.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	59628   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1707.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	59629   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1667.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	59630  
Old 02-02-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Looking great, love the whole budget build idea, I have been doing the same with my XJ, enjoying every moment of it so far, lets see where your last $245 will get you!!
31 x 10.5 Mickey thompson Baja MTZ
Old 02-02-2013
CrawlerStar

Need a roof rack and because the mother in law had and 09 grand that she traded I searched their shed and found a set of jeep cross bars, awesome, cost = free. Also found a touch screen rez radio with hard drive and so on. Will get to that later.Also had the jeep tow tongue , good for the bike rack. Mounted the cross bars and had some ideas on a roof rack. First rack was flat and worked well, very noisy on the highway so tried a front diffuser and worked awesome, looks a bit funny but only use it for camping so all good. Bolt it through some holes i drilled in the cross bars and use some HT bolts, strap the bag i use down to the Jeep side bars, Was at straddie on the Aus day weekend with the cyclonic conditions with a full roof bag and a 12ft stand up board on top and it diddn't move. Got the steel from work, some old stainless steel pipe work, won't rust! Cost = FREE
Paint is killing me, another $20 on under body from REPCO. Good because the side rails need a re coat from a recent trip to Ormeau. They work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0276.jpg
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	59666   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0277.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	59667   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0278.jpg
Views:	100