Is the new GC a robust, outback towing vehicle? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-11-2011
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Dave,
Thanks for taking the time to post that info and wow that's a glowing report isn't it? Sounds like you had a great adventure and lots of good memories made along the way. Our main concern was hauling 3 tonne across those corrugated roads in the outback and what that might do to a vehicle that doesn't have a ladder frame chassis like our cruiser does. Looks like you've answered that question for us. Having never seen a Grand Cherokee up close, I don't have any idea how robust the suspension is and we like the Overland which comes with the adjustable air suspension and would want that to go wrong out bush or anywhere for that matter.

Your comments have given me a better feeling for the Jeep and yes, the value for money can't be ignored. The wait is fairly long for an Overland and the 8 speed transmission will be out in the 2013 model which will be released here possibly in October next year. So not sure wether to wait for that or just get the 5 speed a few months sooner.

The kind of places we go with our Bushtracker can be seen on our blog at www.nomadznow.com if you're interested.

Thanks again for taking the time and you've given us a better feeling about the Grand Cherokee.
Cheers
Rick
Old 23-11-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great story Dave & a good rap for the Jeep. And like an old bloke said to me more years ago then I care to remember " mate..any car will get you almost anywhere you want to go if you drive it & treat it with care"

All vehicles can have their problems, just ask GU Patrol owners who's 3L turbo diesels go up in smoke...funny how not more is said about that!!

tiddy
Old 23-11-2011
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hi there
At this stage I have only towed with my Diesel Laredo for about 600 klm. My van weighs (weighbridge) 3200 kg total. Very happy 14.4 per hundred. I traded my 2005 Patrol diesel auto as legally I couldn't, only allowed 2500kg. Second hand 2005 GXL turbo Cruiser with 200 thousand plus on the clock high $40 to high $50 thousand. Purchased a new Grand Laredo for $55,000. New cruiser would have been $85,000 plus. To early to tell if it will perform without fault on rough roads but I did not pay the big bucks for a cruiser and whilst away I was approached by a few with turbo cruisers who were considering updating and did not wish to pay $80,000 plus for the cruiser and are considering the new Grand. That is why you are seeing more of the troop carrier style 4 door Landcruisers around which are about $65,000 with the V8 turbo diesel but has less power than the new Grand and only basic inside, two air bags only and no auto. There are not as many dealers Australia wide for Jeep but have a look and there are more Jeep dealers around Australia than you think.
David Scott
Old 23-11-2011
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

No. Keep your Cruiser.
Old 23-11-2011
TJ DRIVER

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post
No. Keep your Cruiser.
I disagree as the 100 series is getting long in the tooth

get a 200 series cruiser
Old 23-11-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
Regardless of what people say I would rather have a Cruiser if I was spending masses of time in the bush....you know parts will be easier to come by and mechanics will know their way around it, their are more Tojo dealers in regional Australia etc etc...

As for reliability - it's a Jeep... lol
I have a WH Grand 3.0L CRD and i tow a 3T Kedron XC2 and the Grand is kitted out with just about everything, holds around 200L of fuel and comes in around 3T also and have only ever had the swirl motor issue and have travelled to some of those outback places with no issues or broken bits.

I also have a TJ and people say there only good for wheelin yet mine in the hands of my son has travelled over 45,000K's in less than 2 years with trips all over outback NSW towing his camper with no problems.

So don't underestimate the Jeep.

"Such Is Life"
Old 24-11-2011
asp_777
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
Regardless of what people say I would rather have a Cruiser if I was spending masses of time in the bush....you know parts will be easier to come by and mechanics will know their way around it, their are more Tojo dealers in regional Australia etc etc...

As for reliability - it's a Jeep... lol
Remember, they are all just Nuts and bolts

Any reasonable mechanic can fix most vehicles or get them going.
Post New Thread  Reply