ASD fuse keeps blowing - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2013
It's a JK Thing ;)

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts

I didnt get to spend much time on this one today as some clown out the front desk thought it would be cool to book in 4 --- 48.000 klm services on me , BASTARD lol , anyway i have narrowed down the curcuit which is causing the problem , Ignition feed to the ASD Relay is intermitantly shorting to ground , so i have some hunting to do between the PDC & the ignition barrel , i had a quick look under the dash on the drivers side & did not like what i seen , the damn harness from engine bay to cab comes through the firewall & hooks a hard right turn & vanishes behind the heaterbox before it splits up into 8 different directions , im starting to think i have met my nemisis vehical , the boys at work reckon iv turned 50 shades of silver trying to fix this one lol .
Old 05-05-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: ASD fuse keeps blowing

Have found a theory in an online American motoring journal that suggests that a loose timing chain could cause the asd fuse to blow. The theory behind this is that it puts the cam and crank sensor out of sync, causing the computer to oversaturate the ignition at the coil packs which in turn creates an increase in current at the asd relay which blows the fuse. Since I just did my timing chains and this problem appeared after the repair, I'm going to knock the cam timing back a tooth and see what happens.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-05-2013
Established Member

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Bingo!! I found the damn problem. After finding this article http://www.autoinc.org/archives/2009...9/techtips.htm I decided to knock back the cam timing a tooth and see what happened, after all, this problem started after I did the timing chains on it. Sure enough, the fuse is no longer blowing and it's running beautiful. Funny thing is though, whereas the cam timing marks looked pretty right before, now they don't look exactly right. I'm not complaining though, the car is now driveable again, and not just taking up valuable space in my driveway.
Old 10-05-2013
It's a JK Thing ;)

Default ASD fuse keeps blowing

That's great news mate , I'm still going on this one between jobs , have check the timing & it's good , wiring harness has major rub through on bell housing , harness on floor lol I hate electrics
Old 11-05-2013
Established Member

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Hold the phone, I've still got issues. Now I'm not blowing the asd fuse anymore, but the car is registering p1391 - intermittant loss of cam or crank signal. After much research I've narrowed it down to cam sensor or crank sensor, pulse wheel on cam gear, incorrect cam timing. Now I reckon I can rule out the crank sensor, as that hasn't been touched. The cam sensor possibly as I removed it the other week and dropped it as I refitted it again. The pulse wheel is also a possibility as I fitted the new one that came in the timing chain kit at the time I did the timing chains. Camshaft timing is also a possiblity, as I did'nt like the way the marks on the drivers side camshaft lined up when I originally fitted the new chains and then when I backed it off a tooth. Stupid as this sounds, it looks like it may be off by around 1/2 a tooth. If this is the case, means I'll be stripping down the front of the engine again. One things for sure, I'm well and truly over this f#$@en car now, and as soon as I get it running right again, I'll be trading back to a Japenese 4wd
Old 20-05-2013
It's a JK Thing ;)

Default ASD fuse keeps blowing

Got the one at work running sweet as at idle , I completely stripped out the wiring harness & replace 4 complete wires from PCM C1 -1 sensor earth to the CAS plug - 1 sensor signal from CPS to PCM C1 plug & the complete earth sense wires on the injector circuit , they were all corroded inside the insulation for about 8 inches from the PCM & sensor plugs , I'd say from water getting pushed in past the seals in the plugs from being cleaned with a pressure wash over the years , took her for a drive and she went well except for an intermittent misfire on cylinders 8 & 6 so that's tomorrow's job , to sort that little glitch out how's yours going mate
Old 20-05-2013
Established Member

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: ASD fuse keeps blowing

Haven't touched it since the last time. It starts and runs beautifully, but the check engine light is on and it's throwing up p1391 fault for intermittent loss of crank or cam signal. I've got it narrowed down to one of two things. Either then new camshaft tone wheel is faulty, or the camshaft timing is still half a tooth out. Either way, that'll teach me to buy an aftermarket timing chain kit

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2
Post New Thread  Reply