best way to align rear wheels on solid rear end - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Hi I had a look just now the problem seems to be that the bushes are shifting inside the eyes. Is that normal and is it ok? The centring bolts are all good.
I am just wondering if I get the bits from Wooders tomorrow in the post that when I install them I can set the bushes in the centre of the eyes and hope they stay that way. Or should I set them in the centre drive it for 100km and see if they settle into a new position, eg off centre of the eyes.
Then finally measure the distance of the outside edge of the leaf pack to the inside of the tyre and do this on both the front of the axle and rear. Cause to me if the springs are not pointing dead straight along each side of the wheel and equally on both sides the theorectically the alignment can be out. Does that make sense?

Regards A

Last edited by anthonygubbin; 02-08-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-08-2011
MonsterMoose

Bushes in and leafs set in position measured from the tyre sidwalls. I forgot to use rubber grease on the bushes as someone suggested will CRC bugger them up? Because I do not want to undo those bolts again, they are a bugger to line up.

regards A
Old 03-08-2011
It's a JK Thing ;)

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts

Grease em up mate or they will chew out again ;( and there should be no movement in either direction when everything is bolted up
Old 03-08-2011
MonsterMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozjeepster View Post
Grease em up mate or they will chew out again ;( and there should be no movement in either direction when everything is bolted up
Does that mean the eyes of my springs are too narrow then cause I can use the persuader AKA BFH to shift the eyes across.
Will lithium grease breakdown the rubber cause I have that and can spray it in and it will eventually move around. I really don't want to unbolt stuff mearly so I can put on rubber grease. The other option if I must use rubber grease is I might be able to apply it and melt it slightly with the heat gun.

regards A
Old 03-08-2011
It's a JK Thing ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonygubbin View Post
Does that mean the eyes of my springs are too narrow then cause I can use the persuader AKA BFH to shift the eyes across.
Will lithium grease breakdown the rubber cause I have that and can spray it in and it will eventually move around. I really don't want to unbolt stuff mearly so I can put on rubber grease. The other option if I must use rubber grease is I might be able to apply it and melt it slightly with the heat gun.

regards A
Are your leaf packs stock or aftermarket i run Rubicon leaf packs & the bushes that are in them have a 2 or 3mm edge that presses up tight in the front eye bolt housings & the rears are the same i couldnt move them with a FBH if i wanted to post some pics so we can all have a look see
Old 03-08-2011
MonsterMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozjeepster View Post
Are your leaf packs stock or aftermarket i run Rubicon leaf packs & the bushes that are in them have a 2 or 3mm edge that presses up tight in the front eye bolt housings & the rears are the same i couldnt move them with a FBH if i wanted to post some pics so we can all have a look see
So sounds like what you are saying is that leaf bushes can not be moved inside the eyes once they are fitted, yes?

On mine I can't actually move the bushes if that is what it sounds like I am saying. Rather on the front and to a less degree on the rear I can belt the eye across inside the mount, but the bush will stay exactly where it is. Is that more clear? I wish I had a camera to take some pics as it is hard to descibe with words only.

Regards A
Old 03-08-2011
It's a JK Thing ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonygubbin View Post
So sounds like what you are saying is that leaf bushes can not be moved inside the eyes once they are fitted, yes?

On mine I can't actually move the bushes if that is what it sounds like I am saying. Rather on the front and to a less degree on the rear I can belt the eye across inside the mount, but the bush will stay exactly where it is. Is that more clear? I wish I had a camera to take some pics as it is hard to descibe with words only.

Regards A
Thats what im sayin , once fitted the spring eyes shouldnt move on the bush ie NO side to side movement
So your talking about the metal tube that is inside the bush that the bolt goes through , is that what is moving if so id say u have the wrong bushes , it should be be hard up against the frame rail & inner side of plate the front eye bolt goes through & the rear ones should be the same but in the shackles

Last edited by ozjeepster; 03-08-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply