D35 lsd oil grade? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-10-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts

After TWICE trying the mopar additive and handbook oils to stop my old TJ rear D44 LSD from chattering ( no success ) I used this. IS GOOD!!
Old 17-10-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
It's suitable for the task and means I only need to get 1 oil most of the time....
I've used 85/140 LSD in the front without any issues. Why would you need to have two different oils?

Regards A
Old 17-10-2014
MonsterMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick666 View Post
After TWICE trying the mopar additive and handbook oils to stop my old TJ rear D44 LSD from chattering ( no success ) I used this. IS GOOD!!
I can imagine this gear is the bees knees. However I have priced it and last time I looked the largest size I could get was a 2.5L. The price too was around double that of the Nulon gear. In an XJ with a turdy 5 or 8.25 it shouldn't be needed. The clutch in an 8.25 or turdy 5 has no issues AFAIK using just straight mineral based LSD oil. I have never heard of diff clutch chatter on in the XJ forums in the last 4 years.

Regards A
Old 17-10-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,113 Times in 693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonygubbin View Post
I've used 85/140 LSD in the front without any issues. Why would you need to have two different oils?

Regards A
As I said I use LS90 front and rear, I have no intentions of running heavier oil in the front so 90 is fine, I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not but when I left for the cape my rear diff was quiet with no issues, when I got home it was noisy (whine), the oil was still clean so no contimination water or otherwise but it was noisy and that was on Nulon 85/140..
I've only used LS90 in the rear since the re-gear, don't know if it needs to be LS oil as it doesn't use clutches anymore as it has the Trutrac in it now...

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 17-10-2014
MonsterMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
As I said I use LS90 front and rear, I have no intentions of running heavier oil in the front so 90 is fine, I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not but when I left for the cape my rear diff was quiet with no issues, when I got home it was noisy (whine), the oil was still clean so no contimination water or otherwise but it was noisy and that was on Nulon 85/140..
I've only used LS90 in the rear since the re-gear, don't know if it needs to be LS oil as it doesn't use clutches anymore as it has the Trutrac in it now...
Makes sense. AFAIK there is nothing wrong running 140 in the front though, is that correct . I was told to use it in mine by the diff builder as the diff had a few miles on the gears.

Regards A
Old 17-10-2014
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers View Post
What's the best grade of oil for our hot conditions here in Aus? I've got to pull the diff next weekend to do some welding on it so a oil change will be required.
Cheers.

Depends on what sort of driving tasks you do ... in those temps ..

From the front diff section of the factory manual;

LUBRICANT SPECIFICATIONS
A multi–purpose, hypoid gear lubricant which conforms to the following specifications should be used.
Mopart Hypoid Gear Lubricant conforms to all of these specifications.
² The lubricant should have MIL–L–2105C and API GL 5 quality specifications.
² Lubricant is a thermally stable SAE 80W–90 gear lubricant.
² Lubricant for axles intended for heavy-duty or trailer tow use is SAE 75W–140 SYNTHETIC gear lubricant.

I do lots of highway miles and a fair bit of regular towing ... with a side serve of mild to moderate offroading,

I'd consider long hot highway miles and grinding around in 4x4 as "heavy duty" use for the little american station wagon.

... so I'm running the Nulon 85w/140 LSD oil, front and rear as well.

I'm with junglejuice in that,

... If I was only bumbling around town, doing short highway runs, or weekend, national park gravel road driving ... I would probably stick with the 80w/90.

The most important thing to remember is that ... regardless of the oil grade,

.... If you like to use the thing as a boat or wallow around in mudholes like a pig,

... Change the oil regularly ..

Last edited by carvesdodo; 17-10-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 17-10-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 241 Times in 125 Posts

Thanks for the input guys, Imteresting to hear that you use straight 90 weight Jungle juice cause I can get that from work for a good price (eg free) and if you say that you've never had a problem with it than I might just use that at least until I can pick up something else up on special. I'll post a couple of pics up next weekend after the truss is welded on and a threaded filler bung on the cover to replace the stupid leaking rubber bung.

2000 XJ. Longarm, Orfab, Fox shocks, Toyo tires,
Notch customs bla bla bla....
Post New Thread  Reply