Transmission Servicing - Filter and Fluid Chgs - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hey Glend,
just done the same thing to my JK today, quick question if i can,

The new anti drainback valve seemed to screw in an awfully lot more than the original, i had to stop myself screwing it in because i was worried about tightening too much and stripping the alloy thread. Just wondering if you have had anything similar before, or if i should take the pan off again and tighten the thing right down (there wasn't any tourque settings that I could see).

I'm all worried about the thing falling out and muching the innards of my transmission now ?

Cheers Mick
Old 11-03-2013
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thommoed View Post
Hey Glend,
just done the same thing to my JK today, quick question if i can,

The new anti drainback valve seemed to screw in an awfully lot more than the original, i had to stop myself screwing it in because i was worried about tightening too much and stripping the alloy thread. Just wondering if you have had anything similar before, or if i should take the pan off again and tighten the thing right down (there wasn't any tourque settings that I could see).

I'm all worried about the thing falling out and muching the innards of my transmission now ?

Cheers Mick
Is it even the same transmission? I thought the JK used a different one.

Sent from my EBM727KC using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-03-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Yes same as from what I can see.

This is from my 2009 Build Sheet.

DGQ 5-Spd Automatic 545RFE Transmission
Old 11-03-2013
AJOR Silver

Ok, so it is the same. I would not worry to much about the valve being secure, if it did fall out it would stay in the pan and eventually finc thr magnet. If it comes out you will know because the lines and pump will drain overnight and make gear selection a problem in the morning until the pump refills the system, at least 30 seconds.
Old 11-03-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hey Glend,

Thanks for that mate,

There seems to be a few similarities between the 2 cars...

Cheers,

Mick
Old 12-03-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

I'd forgotten this write-up -it is excellent. I'll be printing it off for my "how-to" folder.

Quick question (and I'm probably just being lazy), but how often should this be done? I'm always keen to find things I can do to reduce the time/bill at a dealers.
Old 12-03-2013
AJOR Silver

If you go by the Owners Manual it's suppose to be a lifetime fill (hahaha). My mate the Jeep Mechanic suggests doing it every 50,000kms max. I have done mine twice (filters and fluid) and have 90,000kms on the vehicle. The first service was at about 45,000kms just before a big trip, the second was just recently prior to another big trip. Everyone has to make up their own mine about what's right for them, but since I do some significant outback trips each year I view it as a precaution worth the time and $.

I found during that first service the residue in the pan was thicker than the second service, I guess this could be initial clutch wear material depositing at the bottom of the pan. Anything that reduces the fine material that deposits (and/ or circulates) has to be good for the lif span of the pump etc.

I was reading recently about a guy on the LOST forum that had put a Magnafine filter on his transmission cooler line to pick up any circulating metal dust, particles etc that the filters might miss - a bit exptreme perhaps but he had the view that the fine metalic dust was adhereing to the solinoids and could cause eventual problems - and as there would be some sort of magnetic field there I guess he could be right but it was a rather extreme preventative method (more magnets on the bottom of the pan might work just as well).

Of course, the best service you cna give it is to prevent it ever ever overheating and cooking the seals, clutches and fluid. That means fitting an auxiliary transmission cooler (after the stock cooler if possible), and a temperature gauge which allows you to monitor the fluid temps - and importantly (to me) keep the fluid temps below 180F at all times. There is a transmission temperature graph on the web that shows how high temperatures damage the transmission, worth a look.

Last edited by glend; 12-03-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply