Tyre survey - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2019
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

I've got the standard JK rims and tires on my WJ, they have served me well. Picked them up for a steal, in fact, swapped an old roof rack for them.
Have done about 20k on them and they still look new, heap of sand driving, rocks and other shit, little less grip than the muddies i had on my lux but much quieter

Sent from my SM-G930F using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 04-06-2019
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts

Hankook Dynapro AT/M's with 75,000k's on them. Wearing well (I do have 6 wheels and tyres that I rotate). Will definitely be buying them again.

I had the standard Michelins on previously and took them off at 35,000k's, still had a bit of life left in them.
Old 04-06-2019
CrawlerStar

Liked 126 Times in 78 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I got 66k out of my Michelins
6k ago I put Cooper Discoverer ATX's on, very quiet, good ride.
Heading off for Exmouth tomorrow so will put at least another 3-4k
Old 04-06-2019
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 79 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barboots View Post
Falken Wildpeak AT3W in LT275/65R18 for just 1000km. Quieter than previous General Grabber AT2 in same spec.

I had the General AT2s on two vehicles, and occasionally ran other 20" rims/tyres, but conservatively estimate they did 40kkms, with maybe 60kkms projected. I felt that they had lost their best wet-weather performance, so last rain I decided they'd retire early.
How do you find the larger (275/65) size? Any clearance issues? Performance, economy etc?
Old 04-06-2019
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdv6 View Post
How do you find the larger (275/65) size? Any clearance issues? Performance, economy etc?
Clearance is "just" but hasn't caused any problems. It's probably worst at normal ride height on the felt in front of the front tyre, but my front felts are somewhat irregular now having been damaged in a bog with the lower bumper removed. The shoulders of the Generals were very close on the top inside of the rears on my "first" 2013 MY14 and did put some wear grooves into the felt... but I've never had any contact on the 2014 MY14. Go figure! It must be tolerances. There is quite a bit of scope to re-shape the felts and add more clearance, especially if lots of coarse grit-loaded mud is on your radar. I wouldn't let clearance put you off... a heat gun and some Sikaflex would sort out the close points.

I don't notice any performance loss, but I certainly don't get any of the amazing economy some owners post. My figures are going to be shit anyway... I only do the odd short errand in Perth inner metro, then am generally either towing a caravan, a boat, or driving tracks having offloaded the van somewhere. I have a solar panel on the roof which really should have a deflector in front of it. I'm also lazy with regard to recording fuel usage, and use the adaptive cruise as much as possible despite the fuel cost on inclines.

Jeez... having written that it sounds like I have shares in Shell [emoji23]
Old 05-06-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 154 Times in 110 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hankook RF10 Dynapro's first set 100,000, second set 70,000 still going strong, third set 30,000 and still look like new.
Old 05-06-2019
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 79 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08crd View Post
Hankook RF10 Dynapro's first set 100,000, second set 70,000 still going strong, third set 30,000 and still look like new.
That's amazing! They obviously get a big tick for mileage, what about handling, comfort and noise. And off-road ?