Insurance...choices, choices, choices - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Blokes Advice
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-11-2022
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLMATE View Post
Anybody else's Insured Value jump up in price?
Yeah, I compared the beejesus out of them all as I usually do for mine last term roll over. I went to a comparison website, or three, and compared insurances too.

After that I went direct, as in typed in the www address, not clicked the lazy link from the comparison website, to the insurance company I choose from the comparison websites and went through all the bollocks again input to get a quote and it was surprisingly cheaper than the comparison website by I think $45.00 if I recall correctly. Go figure. Money for jam I guess by secondary parties.

Anyways, I went this time with https://www.pd.com.au/

I'd check their policy for off road insurance too if you're a hard core off roader. The policy, at least mine, does NOT insure a trailer so be aware of that too.

No affiliation or recommendation. They were simply the cheapest BY FAR for what I use my Jeep for.
Old 16-11-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts

I think the issue for insurance companies is the massive payouts that they have had to front over the last few years of mega fires, mega floods etc. One way of recouping monies is to increase premiums and where it hurts most of all...car and home. A bit from each of us soon adds up for them. There is not a lot of difference in what is offered but there can be particularly in terms of quality and timeliness of work completions.

We have to bite the bullet I guess. And of course as people have less and less money to spend because of their conspicuous debt, more and more people won't insure at all. This is a problem for car owners particularly when you have to foot the bill for someone in the wrong but isn't insured.

When you think about it it isn't bad odds to not insure...50-50 chance that you may be in the wrong. And you may not have an accident in years if at all. For me not insuring the JKU would mean a saving of $7500 over 5 years, provided I am not in the wrong with an accident. The fear narratives will get us every time.

House insurance is another silent drain. Very few houses will ever burn down or be damaged (particularly if not in a fire or flood risk area). Mine fits this bill and so I am wondering why the hell I continue to insure the house. Then, if you underinsure the insurance company will say that the part that was damaged was the part that was not insured, or only partially. This ploy is as old as bricks. And of course the other sting is to have high basic excess amts to discourage claims against things like broken house windows etc. and these keep going up and up with less and less cover.

We can't win....but what can you do?

I remember after the Black Friday and Victoria bushfire so many people living in the bush with trees up to their front and back doors and living in known to be huge fire risk areas soon let the world know that they didn't know what they would do because their houses etc were not insured. So what did the Vic govt do? Paid up here and there with great blaring klaxons to convince us it did more than it did. The money that went to the dicks who thought it ok not to insure their properties came from all of us poor tax payers.

On top of this we are also forced to pay an add on levy on each and every insurance policy plus on council rates wherever your house is, to subsidise the operations and resources of the fire authorities.... of course the latter only happened in Victoria to the extent that the current Vic Labour govt could encourage support from the firefighter unions. Apparently this has now worn thin and the firefighters union in Vic is actively campaigning against a win for the Labour Govt. in the current election.

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 16-11-2022 at 03:52 AM.
Old 16-11-2022
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,348 Times in 777 Posts

Agree with the...'surrounded by trees...trees right up to the front door'.....the 'new vogue' of living 'off grid' has put ill equipped embeciles into situation of self induced peril....'Im biulding off grid'..'all Govt.s are corrupt'( well derrr numb nut...have been since origin...anybody think the Greeks that invented it werent corrupt ???)....'people are sheep...Im going off grid so nobody can track me and I'll be fully self-sufficient'..........along comes Mother Nature...bites 'em REAL HARD on the arse....first Port of call for assistance.......the Govt......you know, the one's that are corrupt, the one's us sheep pay taxes to to fund these embeciles 'off grid lifestyles', the one's that use OUR taxes to biuld better fire trails, fire breaks, emergency service centres....ffs...as the saying goes....'be careful what you wish for, you just may get it'

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 16-11-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 775 Times in 403 Posts

Thanks, just got my renewal, Premium only went up $81pa , but Agreed Insured amount has jumped up to over $45,000, all without me having to ring and grovell , as I had to do for bloody years with NRMA