Latest newsletter-ausjeepoffroad.com - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-03-2016
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingdog View Post
I have been a member of Ausjeepoffroad.com for some time, but confess that I don't slavishly visit the site.
It was a pleasure to receive a Newsletter titled "Newsletter TEST - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM - AJOR". However, after reading the article, I was dismayed to think that this was disseminated to members by (what was purported to be), a professional organisation.

Surely, if an organisation wishes to convey their professionalism, and uphold their position as a serious site, they would take a small amount of time to check spelling and grammar. If they haven't got the ability (or time), to personally check the article before it is released to the public - then get a competent person to proof read the article.

Let's look at some obvious spelling mistakes that should never have been released:
rumors - spelled correctly should be "rumours"
forsale is two words - for sale.
dispite is spelled despite
common sence - is spelled common sense

Much more space could be used to highlight the grammatical anomalies...but I will not do so.

Many people may dismiss common spelling mistakes but, it should be remembered that, as Australians, we should be proud of our heritage and spell our language as we have always done. Not follow along on the road to phonetic language spoken by America. In short, Americans who purport to speak English are laughable...they do not. Furthermore, they cannot spell correctly.

Organisations and businesses are judged by the image they convey, and it's not a great effort to ensure that the image they convey is one of the highest possible standards.
I understand the message you're conveying : basically at least get the spelling and grammar right in the newsletter. Fair enough.

However putting down other cultures, such as Americans in your example is not justifiable.

English is not the most spoken language on the planet but most probably is the most widely spoken language. Each culture that speaks the language adds a little richness to it. There's Jamaican, Singaporean, Japanese, Spanish, Pidgin english and spoken with their own slang, including ourselves and the kiwis.

You are pretty up yourself in thinking how great you are and laugh at others. Chillax dude, get off your high horse, mate. (What's that you may wonder)
You yourself spelt the words "youse" and "prolly", not quite Queen's english but perfectly acceptable colloquial and informal spoken language...written...debatable. I don't really care.

American culture, spelling, etc. has evolved over the last 500 odd years to become what it is today, the same with the English language. They have made it their own, what's wrong with that? There is English, French, German, Ute, Sioux, Arapaho, Navajo, Viking, Spanish, blah blah blah......in it.

I'm living in an American century for sure. I use american Jeeps and Harleys, wear American Clothes, Jeans, Use American operating systems, Windows, iOS, watch American movies, prefer travelling in American Boeings, use the internet, facebook, instagram, twitter,facetime..the list goes on. Hell, some of us here are Americans or have American families. If it weren't for them we'd be Domo Arigato Mister Robarto..So get used to it and their spelling. Also when you travel there, please remember to tip. Don't be a tight arse and say, in Australia we don't tip so why should we.

The so called English language, spelling, grammar, nuances and what not also evolved from the addition of Viking, German, Latin, French, Celtic, Gaellic, Russian, African, Malaysian, Indian +++ words. Why is Marlborough not Marlboro? or Edinburgh not Edinboro? Why Perestroika?

There are a lot of spelling mistakes here in the forum but you have to chill even though it bothers you a lot.

For example:

To, Too
Definitely, Defiantly
Guards, Gaurds
Lose, Loose
Is,are
Seem, Seam
Has, Have
Their, There
We're, were
Whether, weather
Axle, Axel
Been, Bin...

Anyway, maybe you would like to help Jimmy out with his newsletter perhaps?

Have a nice day...
( That's American spelling for....)

Last edited by Tyvokka; 16-03-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply