JK - what's best lift kit for new offroader - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-04-2012
TJ DRIVER

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

just fit some mud tyres and go offroad stock and when you get bored with that you will have a better idea of what you need .
Old 28-04-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 37 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexytj View Post
just fit some mud tyres and go offroad stock and when you get bored with that you will have a better idea of what you need .
+1
Actually, just use the thing as it is and then fix any short comings, you will be scared sh!tless with a stock car's ability.
Then start with the tyres and figure out the ultimate weight of the truck with anything else you might intend fitting and then get the suspension kit to give you 2" higher than stock so you do not run foul of the law or your insurer.
Old 28-04-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexytj View Post
x2. Opinions on the subject are like butts - everyone has one.
Drive it stock, learn how to best handle that then think about the actual needs you have & how much you want to spend.
Old 28-04-2012
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Flexies spot on......get out and drive it, see what type of wheeling you enjoy, look at others rigs in action and then consider your options.

Only real warning is that its better to go with quality upgradable kits or bits rather than wasting money by throwing cheap junk away.
Old 28-04-2012
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

I'd agree with what everyone else has put here. Drive it stock, work out what you like/don't like and where you want to improve and then go from there.

For me I hated the fact that it scraped it's belly off road all the time (I have the JKU) and I thought the stock suspension was too harsh over broken roads when empty (as it is 90% of the time). I therefore wanted something that gave a bit of lift, a smoother ride when empty and could still hold a load when we go away camping. I ended up with Suspension Stuff flexy coils as they are progressive giving the softer ride when empty but still having the ability to support the fully loaded weight. They area also tailor made to suit the weight of our car/accessories so you can pretty much pick the height you want exactly. I also used the Rancho adjustable shocks, partly so that I can adjust the shocks to suit the weight and therefore make better use of the progressive nature of the coils and partly because they came in a mid length version that gave more travel than the standard length shocks but not as much as full long travel shocks that then give other issues when used in the JK front end. This was my thought process when looking for a lift but it is a very personal think. That's why it's important to work out what you want and why you want it before you do anything. What I've done may well not suit someone else who's looking for different things.

I'd also advise that you do more than springs and shocks. There are plenty on here that have done only springs and shocks and had no issues what so ever but I didn't want to take the risk. Having some form of castor correction (I used adjustable lower control arms) reduces the possibility of getting death wobbles later. I also used an adjustable track bar to re-centre the front diff and between the two it has also sorted the steering out loads as well. It no longer tries to shake me apart over bumpy roads and is so much more controlled on bumpy corners. It meant spending more money (and therefore taking longer to save it in the first place) but it was well worth it for ride comfort alone let alone the death wobble prevention factor. It certainly cost me more than I wanted it to and took a lot longer than I initially thought but I now have the ride I wanted from it so I couldn't be happier.

As far as tyre's go (and assuming you have an '08 onwards with the 17" wheels, not an '07 with the 16" wheels), you can replace the stock 245/75/17's with 265/70/17's to gain a little extra width (they also look better as they fill the guards a little more!) without any issues. They have the same rolling diameter so it's basically a straight swap. 285/70/17's (almost 33") is the biggest most people go on stock wheels and can fit under without a lift but you may need to look at your bump stops and might therefore have reduced wheel travel. You may get slight rubbing on the sway bar with these but nothing to worry about. These knock the gearing out a touch as they are slightly bigger rolling diameter but again nothing to be worried about unless you're doing a lot of towing.

Hope all of this is useful. Have fun getting to know your JK. Even stock it'll still surprise (read "frighten") you with how far it can go if you're new to 4WD'ing. I was in the same position as you 2 years ago and I was amazed with what it could do stock, even with the standard tyres (which probably aren't that bad for you anyway if you'll be doing a lot of sand driving). After that, keep researching and ask questions if you need to as what these guys don't know about JK's isn't worth knowing.
Old 28-04-2012
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 67 Times in 40 Posts

I put the 2.5 inch teraflex lift on recently and have found it great feels better on general driving through corners and rides the bumps better over stock IMO
I am also a newbie and the guys in this site are very knowledgeable and will help out with any questions which is great

2013 commando green JKU
Formally Commando Thunder
" Live everyday like its your last "
Old 28-04-2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I must admit I'm already surprised at what the stock JK can do. I went out with a mate the other weekend. He's an experienced off roader and was giving me some pointers.

It seemed to handle everything without any issues and I think the only drawback was my nerves rather than what the car could do, I'm sure that will change with time as my experience improves.

What I did find was I was more worried about entry & exit clearance when going over larger rocks/hills.

I have changed the front and rear bumpers with Rock Slide Engineering ones which I had sent from the US. What I liked about that was that it shortened the front by a couple of inches so I wasn't as worried about the front contacting ground when approaching hills as I was with the stock ones.

I suppose the point I'm making is that the lift kit would be more about giving me a bit more confidence rather than just improving the cars ability.

I definitely agree about buying quality rather than cutting corners with cheap stuff. Last thing I want is to break down due poor quality parts failing
Post New Thread  Reply