Adding a Commander to the Garage: A Couple of Questions... - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2014
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08crd View Post
I run the 265x65 tyres, the reason being, they are the same sizes as the Pajero/Prado so readily avilable.

Where this may become important, is if you require a tyre in the outback, they would be much easier to source.

With the quadra drive locking diffs, different size tyres may cause the quadra drive to think one wheel is slipping, or worse three wheels are slipping.

Well that's my reasoning.
You do raise a valid point 08CRD, however now is not the time to try to talk sense into me!

I do love the look of the bigger tyres on the Commander and if I can get some in the size I want for a decent price and I can make them work I will give it a crack.

Although I do live 4hrs from anywhere in Gero and I may be moving to Karratha shortly, so it may come into consideration. I have also thought about getting some ex-JK Goodyear Silent Armours in a 245/75 R17 or 255/75 R17, however these would be even more rare to find in the outback.

I think I'll concentrate on finding the right Commander for the moment before I get too excited!
Old 08-12-2014

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Hanna,

I have an 07 limited CRD which is probably the best vehicle I have ever owned.

I have stuck the 2" Dobinson lift under it and now run 265/65/17 Wrangler ATSA's on 17x8 Speedy mags. No dramas with rubbing at all. Also got the tuning box fitted for a little extra power and torque. Works a treat.

Also had the latest firmware version installed and now after three attempts to rectify, all seems to be full functional. Unfortuneatly I had the initial recall done before reading all of the issues associated so I had no choice but to keep on hounding FC.

Cheers.
Old 08-12-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

With respect to tyres in outback, you can store a couple of spares on the rack, and phone tyre shops ahead to your nearest major centre for tyre orders if you have shredded all of the spares. Your road service provider can also reserve stuff for you after they have located the exact tyre from a retailer along your planned travel route.

I love the Commander and would like to upgrade to a V8. Wondering why the only ones for sale are crd models?
Old 08-12-2014
MudSplasher

Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna View Post

JR - Do you know what were the additional extras that came with the 65th Anniversary Edition? Does it have electric seats, dual-zone climate control, steering wheel stereo controls or the GPS in it?

-The 65th Anniv Edition came with extras like the chrome trimming, electric everything, heated seats in the front, fog lights and the gps unit, as well as the 65th embossing on the seats. As for the GPS, turf it. They're absolutely useless. I got rid of mine a long time ago and covered the hole with a MSA canvas dash pod to hold small things like tyre gauges and what not.

It's funny you should comment because yours is the exact Commander I was going to base my build on as I love the look! Even funnier is that one of the Commanders I'm looking at currently is a 65th Anniversary Edition in the same colour as yours! Haha. I hope you don't mind mate? They do say imitation is the ultimate form of flattery!

-I'd like to think that I kept my build up pretty simple, but very practical. The rack set up is perfect for me having the awning on one side and the shovel and hi left on the other, its a good size rack and yet i still have full use of the sun roof - which is nice on warm sunny days . I also have various brackets mounted on the rack for things like gas bottles and sand tracks. Not over the top, just a good solid tourer that I can still take up a few hills along the way.
Dont worry about the colour, its a good colour to have. Specially if I bang up a guard or a door, I'll just give ya a shout and borrow a panel off ya haha

I did see that you were running the 265/70's - did you need to cut the ball joint bolt or run spacers to get them to clear? Have you done the pinch weld mod? If not, is that what's causing your rubbing? Also, are the poly airs needed for heavy towing only? I was thinking about the CRD Stu 2.5-3.0" lift with the HD springs, so might not need air bags?

-I haven't cut the bolt on the ball joint, though I have found evidence that the tyre has hit once or twice, I'd imagine under extreme flex when the pressures are lower. Pinch weld mod? I mustn't have that issue, coz I haven't done it lol. I get a bit of rubbing mainly on the inner guard, and a bit on that backing plate behind the strut tower.
I've got the poly air's in mainly to combat the weight of the rear bar and tyre carrier when it comes, but when i do go away, I do usually have a full fridge, recovery gear and tools in the back and I'd normally have a heavy camper trailer behind me. Don't let anyone tell you that "Heavy Duty" springs for the rear of ours are that, coz they aint lol. They keep the arse end at standard height at best when there's weight in the back. This is another reason why I want to fit some taller springs to keep the clearance up, and also have the bags there for the load bearing side of it.

Also, is there a cargo barrier available for these either with or without the 3rd row seats? What have you guys done with your cargo areas? I was thinking of removing the seats, making a storage box like the guys on the USA forums and then integrating an auxiliary battery, fridge slide and cargo barrier. I hope it can be done as I have big plans for all that room in there!

-My interior is still pretty well untouched. I just have the 3rd row folded down in the back - however the future plans are to pull theose seats out and build a false floor / storage compartment and to also mount a second battery and/or onboard compressor.

As for the tyre size issue and the QDII, I've had no issues. Ive taken mine up some steep, rocky and slippery terrain and never once had an issue. I've walked up everything everytime, In fact, I drove a steep loose rocky track at CC14 this year and accidently got myself crossed up in the ruts half way up - no issue, full lock right and drove it up practically sideways lol.

Dave (valpacer) would be the best to ask about QDII and big rubber, he runs 33's on his Grand now, and has run 35's in the past, and aside from changing diff ratios - it still runs on the factory QDII

Last edited by JRJ33P; 08-12-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2014

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Bit confused by the whole anniversary thing, JRJ339 has a 2006 65th Anniversary but mine is 2008 and has anniversary badges on the guards - just says anniversary edition so must be 67th anniversary !!
Either way it has everything as has been previously mentioned except the GPS which, as also previously mentioned is apparently no loss. I run an after market 7" GPS (ebay from China) that I also have oziexporer maps loaded on and can switch between the 2 - works a treat.
Oh and I don't have embossing on the seats
GDE tune, snorkel and lift all from Murchison plus some extras I bought from Wanderer.
265/65/17 BFG AT's on the original rims - similar logic to 08crd - they had some very minor rubbing at full lock but not hearing that since last service - maybe they adjusted the lock stops a smidge and didn't tell me.
3rd row of seats removed for a bit of extra space but nothing else done back there yet.
These really are a lot of 4WD for the money.
When you get yours be sure to come over East and we'll go for a drive.........

Cheers
Old 09-12-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 154 Times in 110 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoboken View Post
3rd row of seats removed for a bit of extra space but nothing else done back there yet.
These really are a lot of 4WD for the money.
When you get yours be sure to come over East and we'll go for a drive.........

Cheers
I removed the 3r row of seats and made an angle iron frame, that bolts into the existing mounts. The frame is mounted on standoffs to make the back area flat with the loading lip and has a battery and fridge slide on the left side.

Works an absolute treat.
Old 09-12-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJ33P View Post
As for the tyre size issue and the QDII, I've had no issues. Ive taken mine up some steep, rocky and slippery terrain and never once had an issue. I've walked up everything everytime, In fact, I drove a steep loose rocky track at CC14 this year and accidently got myself crossed up in the ruts half way up - no issue, full lock right and drove it up practically sideways lol.

Dave (valpacer) would be the best to ask about QDII and big rubber, he runs 33's on his Grand now, and has run 35's in the past, and aside from changing diff ratios - it still runs on the factory QDII
Thanks mate - all very valuable information! I'm having a look at 2 this Thursday before I head overseas for a holiday - a 2006 65th Anniversary Edition (your twin) with 124,000kms and a 2006 black Limited with 115,000kms. The Limited is only $1,000 more, but the 65th AE owner has said he's negotiable. There is also a 2006 65th AE in black with 127,000kms for $3,000 more than the Limited - from a dealer and comes with a warranty.

I guess I'll just test all 3 and see which one is the best deal at the time.